The case for "Kaizen", following Fujifilm's Example

Old January 13th 18, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The case for "Kaizen", following Fujifilm's Example

It has been three years since I made my move from Nikon to Fujifilm, and I
have become an unashamed fan. One of the reasons has been the Fujifilm
philosophy of “Kaizen”, or providing firmware updates/upgrades to improve
existing, and even discontinued models. I have benefitted from several
firmware updates/upgrades to my X-E2, and X-T2 which seemed to perform like
new cameras.

Three years after buying my first X-Series camera I now own three, the X-E2,
X-T2, and an X-E3, along with 6 Fujinon lenses, and I couldn’t be happier.
Though there are at least three other lenses I have my eye on.
G.A.S. is a terrible afliction. ;-)

I would add that I haven’t used my D300S for over a year now, and the only
piece of my Nikon kit I use today is my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 with a
Nikon-to-Fujifilm adaptor.

Now there is this article from Fstoppers which supports my remarks above, and
asks why other camera manufacturers do not follow a similar philosophy, but
choose to release new models at higher prices, when a firmware update would
have done the same thing.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/why-...ers-should-be-
more-fuji-210834

Savageduck

Old January 13th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 12, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

https://fstoppers.com/originals/why-other-camera-manufacturers-should-be-more-fuji-210834

For some reason that link broke even though I used delimiters.

So...https://tinyurl.com/y7tavwga

Savageduck

Old January 13th 18, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

https://fstoppers.com/originals/why-...s-should-be-mo
re-fuji-210834

For some reason that link broke even though I used delimiters.

it works fine
Old January 13th 18, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-12 19:39, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

The "broken" original worked fine and the one above is "restored" and
works. Good news readers usually handle broken links.

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102
Old January 13th 18, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-12 19:34, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

It's a fine idea and late in coming to cameras. That said, I did F/W
updates to at least one Sony DSLR at some point to address a focus
issue. But they haven't pushed out product improvements (new features)
that way to my knowledge.

Old January 13th 18, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2018.01.13 02:17, RichA wrote:

The problem with business today is the idea that in order to succeed,
you have to have continued growth, meaning you have to make more and
more money, any way you can. We've seen businesses kill themselves
with that attitude, by turning out inferior products or asking users
to pay more and more for essentially the same thing.

The notion that businesses must grow is in part the recycling of profits
toward that growth. Compounding the original investment is the path to
high revenue and return over time.

Unfortunately, with some exceptions, many North American companies are
short term profit growth driven. This takes the eye off the long term.
Further focusing management bonuses on short term objectives and stock
price growth is not exactly beneficial to product development and
quality over time.
Old January 14th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/13/2018 11:37 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018.01.13 02:17, RichA wrote:

The problem with business today is the idea that in order to succeed,
you have to have continued growth, meaning you have to make more and
more money, any way you can.* We've seen businesses kill themselves
with that attitude, by turning out inferior products or asking users
to pay more and more for essentially the same thing.

The notion that businesses must grow is in part the recycling of profits
toward that growth.* Compounding the original investment is the path to
high revenue and return over time.

Unfortunately, with some exceptions, many North American companies are
short term profit growth driven.* This takes the eye off the long term.
*Further focusing management bonuses on short term objectives and stock
price growth is not exactly beneficial to product development and
quality over time.

That short sighted notion has been around for many years, and is not
likely to go away soon.
e.g. While in college I applied for a job as a salesman. My interview
went something like this:

Sales-manager 'sell me this pencil."

Me: Not if you don't need the pencil."

Sales-manager: " Can you start tomorrow?"

--
PeterN
Old January 15th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-14 17:34, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Wrong answer.

Right answer: "Sir, I see you have one of our fine pencils. So, would
you like a special offer for our deluxe sharpener and eraser?"

That gets you the job.

Old January 16th 18, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/14/2018 7:19 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-01-14 17:34, PeterN wrote:
[...]

You may have a better answer. My answer worked.

--
PeterN
Old January 16th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 15, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-14 17:34, PeterN wrote:
[...]

In the context of this thread your answer should have been, “With that
pencil, all you need is the firmware update."

Savageduck