Gamma of color printing paper

Old January 16th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Monica Schulz

Default Gamma of color printing paper

dear ng,

just beginng to dive into the subject matter of the negative-positive
process I stumbled upon the data sheets of Kodak color printing papers
and wondered why they all show such steep characteristic curves.
Shouldn´t their gamma value be around 1,4 so that in combination with
the negative there is a gamma of 1? Is this just because people love
prints with so much snap?

Best!
Monica
Old January 16th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Monica Schulz" wrote in message

dear ng,

just beginng to dive into the subject matter of the negative-positive
process I stumbled upon the data sheets of Kodak color printing papers
and wondered why they all show such steep characteristic curves.
Shouldn´t their gamma value be around 1,4 so that in combination with
the negative there is a gamma of 1? Is this just because people love
prints with so much snap?

Typically, the amatuer papers (Kodak Royal, for example) have high contrast
because the amatuer cameras don't have good contrast lenses. If you want a
lower contrast paper, try the pro types, like Kodak Endura's. The pro types
will usually have the 'do not copy' messge on the back.

If you are just starting color printing, here are two helpful hints: 1. Get
the density right, then go for the color balance. 2. Write down your
printing exposure.

Old January 17th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Monica Schulz

On 16 Jan., 20:26, "Ken Hart" wrote:

Typically, the amatuer papers (Kodak Royal, for example) have high contrast
because the amatuer cameras don't have good contrast lenses. If you want a
lower contrast paper, try the pro types, like Kodak Endura's.

Well, I looked at the curves of Kodak Ektacolor Edge and Kodak
Professional Pro Image and if I measure the slope of the straight
section and take the tangent I find a gamma of more than 3. That´s
what astonishes me but maybe I´m wrong somehow?!

snip

Old January 20th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Monica Schulz wrote:
On 16 Jan., 20:26, "Ken Hart" wrote:

Typically, the amatuer papers (Kodak Royal, for example) have high contrast
because the amatuer cameras don't have good contrast lenses. If you want a
lower contrast paper, try the pro types, like Kodak Endura's.

Well, I looked at the curves of Kodak Ektacolor Edge and Kodak
Professional Pro Image and if I measure the slope of the straight
section and take the tangent I find a gamma of more than 3. That´s
what astonishes me but maybe I´m wrong somehow?!

Edge is the highest-contrast paper Kodak makes. If they still make it,
Portra is the paper you want for most professional use (the medium-contrast
paper in sheets is, or was, "Supra", and the high-contrast one "Ultra").

Pro Image is made for laser recording in machines like the Frontier, isn't
it? Those systems adjust the image digitally so almost any paper contrast
will work so long as the curves of the paper are known.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky