Recurring problem with Kodak DX3600

Old July 31st 04, 04:52 PM
SP

Default Recurring problem with Kodak DX3600

Wondering if someone has experienced the same frustrating problem...

Sometimes when turning on the camera, either:

- green LED blinks once or twice, but nothing else happens (lens
doesn't come out, screen remains off);
- camera starts normally (boots up, lens comes out), but when
depressing the button to take a picture, the lens goes back in and the
camera reboots (without having taken the picture);

When this starts to happen, it will keep doing it for several on-off
cycles. When it locks up, I usually need to bang it against the palm
of my hand several times before it finally reacts. Sometimes I just
give up and forget about taking the picture... very frustrating!

This problem started to occur during last summer, while it was still
on warranty. We sent it to Kodak Service and the work report mentions
some work on the shutter. It has been working fine after, but this
summer the problem is back again (the warranty, however, is long
gone). I'm beginning to think it is somewhat weather-related, perhaps
humidity.

BTW, the batteries and memory card are NOT the problem. (I was able
to take hundreds of pictures and movies with the same rechargeable
batteries & memory card).

Has anyone had the same kind of problem with a Kodak camera? Is there
something I can do besides having it serviced, perhaps some
lubrication?

Any thoughts welcome.

Serge
Old July 31st 04, 05:42 PM
Ron Hunter

SP wrote:
[...]

I suspect some kind of problem with the contacts in the battery
compartment. I never saw any such problem with my DX3600, but did have
some problems with new NIMH batteries in the first few uses. You might
check to see that nothing is preventing contact with the internal
contact points.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:19 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings SP,

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Although you can take pictures with the same battery and card, your camera
may very well need attention. I wonder, however, if over time you have bent
the connectors in the camera that engage the battery contacts. If they are
not under the correct tension, then correct contact will not be made and
therefore power may be interrupted.

Also, have you tried using a new CRV3 Lithium battery? If not give it a try
and see if it powers up your system correctly. Although the battery have
worked well for you in the past, there may be something else going on with
the charging? Let us know more if you try any of these options (new lithium
battery and adjust contacts, plus cleaning the contacts).

Talk to you soon, SP,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company