Best Raw Processing Software?

Old February 5th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default Best Raw Processing Software?

Can anybody indicate the relative pros and cons of the various RAW processing
software out there?

I am aware of the following:

1. Adobe ACR
2. Adobe Lightroom (an extension of the above perhaps)
3. Bibble
4. Phase One - Capture One (LE and PRO)
5. Raw Shooter Essentials or Raw Shooter Premier
6. Nikon Capture NX

I have access to Adobe ACR in Photoshot CS2 and Raw Shooter Premier. I was
never able to get the latter to work well as part of my workflow, so I didn't
use it, although I look forward to the vaporware upgrade to Lightroom 1.0
(they have NOT sent the email for the free upgrade as promised).

FWIW - I run on a Windows XP Pro 64-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
and 4GB or RAM. I boot in Vista Ultimate x64 as well. I am looking for a
workflow that is faster than my image by image workflow I currently enjoy
using ACR and Photoshop. My current workflow is tedious and using the batch
options in Adobe Bridge just hasn't stuck for me as I end up with files
processed inadequately [best quality is in a batch of one!].

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would love to work with Apeture, but they refuse to release it for the
Windows platform ... there loss I guess.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old February 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:36:57 +0000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

[...]

I've had success with ufraw - and it's free.

Old February 5th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

Lightroom isn't an extension of ACR, but the two will shortly share many
features.
I've chosen LR to be my first stop processor and data manager. Most of
my pix don't need PS, but I will also be upgrading to PS CS3.

I am not going to get into arguments with you over any of the above.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 5th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

John McWilliams wrote:

Lightroom isn't an extension of ACR, but the two will shortly share many
features.
I've chosen LR to be my first stop processor and data manager. Most of
my pix don't need PS, but I will also be upgrading to PS CS3.

Can you contrast against the competition as to why you chose these? I am just
looking to make an informed decision myself [already being familiar with the
ACR workflow I currently use].

I am not going to get into arguments with you over any of the above.

I had no such plans.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old February 5th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Lightroom isn't an extension of ACR, but the two will shortly share many
features.
I've chosen LR to be my first stop processor and data manager. Most of
my pix don't need PS, but I will also be upgrading to PS CS3.

Can you contrast against the competition as to why you chose these? I am just
looking to make an informed decision myself [already being familiar with the
ACR workflow I currently use].

I am not going to get into arguments with you over any of the above.

I had no such plans.

Cool. As to comparisons, I'd not be much use as I've not used most of
your list. Bill Hilton, said to be back from a nice shoot somewhere
exotic, probably knows as much as anyone re various options, but I am
not sure he's worked with LR or the new ACR much.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 5th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Aaron

And lo, Thomas T. Veldhouse emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
[...]

Since you mentioned Nikon Capture NX, I'm going to assume you're a
Nikon shooter. Nevertheless, Canon does have their own RAW software
suite and I've heard very nice things about it.

That having been said, I'm a big fan of Photoshop Lightroom (that's
what they're calling it officially) and have already pre-ordered my
copy. There are many studios out there who still swear by Capture One
Pro, as well.

Aperture is nice and all, but Photoshop Lightroom is cross-platform,
was developed in a long-term public beta and incorporates the feature
suggestions of thousands of professional photographers, and if you
pre-order it now you can get it for a mere $199, which I think it's a
very reasonable price (retail will be $299 come April).

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com
Old February 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

You could look at DxO Optics Pro - http://www.DxO.com - a raw converter,
outputs to jpg, tiff, or dng, your choice.

It also corrects for various lens aberrations, CA, barrel/pincushion
etc. specifically by lens, you get the correction modules for the bodies
and lenses you have, and it will batch correct any number of raw images.
You can run it in auto or manual mode, where you get to specify what
you want done.

The UI could be better, it's not too intuitive, but it works very well.
Processing time is about 40 seconds per image from a 6 MP camera, on a
3.00 GHz P4 and a gig of ram. Your machine should be somewhat faster.

I have no connection with DxO except as a satisfied user.

Colin D.

Old February 6th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

If you use a 64 bit Windows operating system how do you calibrate your
monitor?
What calibration devices have drivers for either of the Windows 64 bit OSes?
What calibration devices have drivers for ANY version of Vista?
If you do not calibrate your monitor and use color management you are better
off shooting in JPEG and not altering color at all.
Therefore it hardly matters what raw converter you use as it is merely
accidental that a print bears any relationship to what you see on your
monitor.

Old February 6th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oliver Costich

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:36:57 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse"
wrote:

[...]

Everyone I know that has been using Aperture is moving to Lightroom.
Old February 6th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oliver Costich

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:59:54 +1300, Colin_D wrote:

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

I have heard really good things about DxO but it is camera/lens
specific so you need to be sure it supports what you have. It's also
anything but cheap.