Personal boycot of Lithium Ion batteries

Old November 2nd 05, 07:43 PM
SimonLW

Default Personal boycot of Lithium Ion batteries

The Lio-ion in my Dell notebook (only 2 years old) now only runs it for
10-15 minutes. About $200 to get a new one. The Sony Cybershot camera at
work, the Info lithium battery I get low battery warning after recharging
$50 to replace. My Fuji 6800, the Lithium was no good after three years.
I've tried some off brands for less $$, but they don't seem hold the charge
as the OEM. The $35 I bought as a spare form my 6800 never was that great
and it quit running the camera after 1 year.

They are expensive and have a short life span. From this point on, I'm going
with cameras that will take AA, or have the AA option in the vertical hand
grip (DSLRs). With AA's I can carry a couple spares without the cost of the
second lithium. And in a pinch, I can go buy Alkalines just about anywhere.
I can get 150 shots from alkalines PS camera or 300+ with Ni-Mh.

Well that's my rant. Perhaps Lithium longevity will improve. Don't the
hybrid cars use lithium batteries? Can't imagine the cost of replacing that
thing in three years!
-S

Old November 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
salgud

SimonLW wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure about the others, but the Prius uses NiMH batteries.
Warranteed for 8 years.

Old November 2nd 05, 08:29 PM

Lithium Ion bateries will wear out with or without use. You should be
expecting no less than 1 year and no more than 2 years of life from
these bateries. They have the best energy density in casual use today,
at some cost in longevity compared to NiMH. You should be aware that
dSLRs with Battery grips that use AA bateries, only get a few dozen
shots from a handfull of AA batteries in the grip, compared to 1000+
from the standard LiIon cell.

Old November 2nd 05, 08:43 PM
King Sardon

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "SimonLW" wrote:

[...]

Yeah....

Lithium ions don't like being discharged, contrary to what you might
expect for a battery. Running off the Li-ion will reduce its life.
Consider plugging in your laptop (phone, etc.) when possible to spare
the battery. (However, heat buildup running this way can harm the
battery.)

To get maximum life out of a new Li-ion, do the charge-discharge
routine to condition the battery if that is recommended for your
battery type.
http://www.intelligentbatteries.com/XX_Tips.htm

Useful info on extending life he
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Mebbe check with Dell to see if the battery might be under recall...
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...recall/en/main

K.S.
Old November 2nd 05, 09:52 PM
Bucky

SimonLW wrote:
The Lio-ion in my Dell notebook (only 2 years old) now only runs it for
10-15 minutes. About $200 to get a new one.

Sounds like your real issue is with all rechargeable batteries. NiMH
and NiCad only last about 2 years as well. Li-ion batts are more
compact (higher enery density) than NiMH and NiCad, so that's why
they're more expensive.

From this point on, I'm going
with cameras that will take AA, or have the AA option in the vertical hand
grip (DSLRs).

That's fine if you use larger cameras. The compacts are not going to
use AAs because they're too large. I've used a camera with 2 AA NiMH,
and they run out very quickly. You're going to have to carry at least 2
extra sets of spares. But if you're willing to save on cost to carry
more, then fine.

Well that's my rant. Perhaps Lithium longevity will improve.

BTW, never say "lithium" when you mean "lithium ion". Lithium batteries
are another type (non-rechargeable).

Old November 2nd 05, 09:59 PM
Martin Francis

"SimonLW" wrote in message
[...]

My mother's Dimage Z2 can get a couple hundred shots from some NiMHs, using
the flash and the screen. From a modest set of alkalines, she got... well,
three.

Martin

Old November 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
RK

I'm wondering about the 'real life' experiences of digicam users with
Li ions. The research I've seen says that (a) normally one can get 2-3
years;(b) the technology is constantly improving and (c) depending on
usage one can get longer run time. I've got one in a Sony laptop that
is still, after 4 years, giving me 45+ minutes. As for NiMh's, I've got
a bunch that are still performing surprisingly well after five years.
Oh, and I've got a few rechargeable alkalines that I use in
flashlights, that seem to be ancient.

One thing that bothers me is that it is really important to know how
long these batteries have been on the shelf before purchase, and that
is almost impossible to know since everyone seems to be selling them as
'new'.

This all said, is there any way to test the overall health of a Li Ion,
using a digital voltage meter?