jump from regular ink printer to ink tank system-worth it?

Old October 7th 20, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Default jump from regular ink printer to ink tank system-worth it?

I have the Canon EOS 30 (not digital!I scan my negatives but never mind)
recently serviced bought NOS 10/2019 and I am printing all my colour
prints on my Canon Pixma MX925. An excellent printer in all aspects
except ink costs. A magenta, cyan, yellow or black ink (XL) costs 17
euros and has only 11 mLs of ink. I searched for a tantamount ink tank
all-in-one photo printer and came with 2 results, unfortunately quite
expensive for my limited budget!The Epson L850 for 400 euros from
www.e-shop.gr and the Epson L6190 for 449 euros from www.plaisio.gr. The
former is with a generous discount and is a real photo all-in one with 7
inks while the latter is the typical office that can print also photos
and is 49 euros cheaper. Plaisio is infamous for its crappy range of
products that are made in China with the badge of Turbo-X. Also it is
infamous for its poor support and bad handling of sensitive items like
hard drives etc.so I'd like to stay away from them.My old printer would
go to my sister who has an ancient laser on an ancient laptop that
hardly runs. So this project will remain a dream unless I can make a
major contract to build a house!Electric-wise (I am an electrician) or
fix 10 washing machines in a week, lol.(I also repair white goods_.I'm
very pleased with my Pixma but I have paid twice its value in ink costs,
not to mention the environmental impact (all the package and
manufacturing and the inks to be shipped from Japan).
Old October 8th 20, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/7/20 12:52 PM, Dimitris Tzortzakakis wrote:
[...]

Have you considered off-brand ink cartridges? I have a Canon Pixma ix
6820 and once the original ink cartridges ran out, I purchased off brand
with no problems. I am using "Office World" brand from Amazon.

I seldom use my printer for photos- I have a full darkroom in the basement.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 8th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Στις 8/10/2020 4:30 μ.μ., ο Ken Hart *γραψε:
[...]

that would be a good idea Plaisio which has a store in my city
(Irakleion) has such a off-brand @work or something I am already getting
the el cheapo @work glossy papers for 2 euros @50 so I'll give it a
try.I also have a darkroom but only B&W. To get a colour enlarger plus
paper tank chemicals and coour paper would need to order from Germany
with all the cost involved and I still would be short of a colour
enlarger. I had one but made the mistake of giving it away when I got my
first digital camera. I have a couple good photos both Ilfochrome and RA4.
Old October 8th 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

off-brand ink is an incredibly bad idea for several reasons, including
worse colour, higher potential for clogging and also invalidating the
warranty. some printers use chipped cartridges to prevent that, which
would need to be bypassed, further adding to the hassle.

at a minimum, the printer will need to be recalibrated each time.

I seldom use my printer for photos- I have a full darkroom in the basement.

then you're ending up with poorer quality photos, another bad idea.

a decent photo printer with a digital workflow will do a significantly
better job with a lot less hassle than a darkroom ever could.
Old October 9th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/8/20 12:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

The original poster is not in the USA, so his country may be different.
However, the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C.A. 2302) forbids
the conditioning of a warranty upon the purchase of any product or service.

If your printer uses chipped cartridges, and you buy off-brand chipped
cartridges, the chip will be ready for use from the supplier- no hassle.

Off-brand ink has the potential to be variable in quality. So does brand
name ink. Generally, very generally, if the cartridge is well packaged,
and the third party conducts itself in a professional manner, generally,
the cartridge is more likely to, generally, be good.

at a minimum, the printer will need to be recalibrated each time.

I seldom use my printer for photos- I have a full darkroom in the basement.

then you're ending up with poorer quality photos, another bad idea.

a decent photo printer with a digital workflow will do a significantly
better job with a lot less hassle than a darkroom ever could.

I will not discuss this with you. You are wrong, but the horse is dead;
it's not worth my effort to beat it any longer.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 10th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Have you considered off-brand ink cartridges? I have a Canon Pixma ix
6820 and once the original ink cartridges ran out, I purchased off brand
with no problems. I am using "Office World" brand from Amazon.

off-brand ink is an incredibly bad idea for several reasons, including
worse colour, higher potential for clogging and also invalidating the
warranty. some printers use chipped cartridges to prevent that, which
would need to be bypassed, further adding to the hassle.

The original poster is not in the USA, so his country may be different.

cheap knock-off ink is of lower quality, regardless of country.

However, the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C.A. 2302) forbids
the conditioning of a warranty upon the purchase of any product or service.

warranties cover manufacturing defects, not intentional user damage.

also, as you said, he is not in the usa, which means that act does not
apply to him, so why even bring it up?

If your printer uses chipped cartridges, and you buy off-brand chipped
cartridges, the chip will be ready for use from the supplier- no hassle.

the point you fail to understand is that off-brand ink quality is not
only lower, resulting in poorer quality prints, but can potentially
damage the printer, including clogs and other problems.

Off-brand ink has the potential to be variable in quality.

not only the potential, but *is*.

So does brand
name ink.

nope. oem ink has a reputation to maintain and is *very* consistent
from batch to batch.

off-brand ink has lower quality control and no reputation to keep. the
colour is not consistent among batches and certainly among brands. it
also might prematurely fade and may even run. professionals would never
consider using it.

Generally, very generally, if the cartridge is well packaged,
and the third party conducts itself in a professional manner, generally,
the cartridge is more likely to, generally, be good.

the quality of the packaging or the conduct of the manufacturer has
absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the quality or colorimetry of
the ink. what an absurd claim.

as i said, third party inks will at a minimum require calibration. if
they are used with the printer's profiles (which is what usually
happens because people don't understand anything about colour
management), the results are guaranteed to be less than ideal, often
much worse. cheap inks are also more likely to fade faster and may run.

at a minimum, the printer will need to be recalibrated each time.

I seldom use my printer for photos- I have a full darkroom in the basement.

then you're ending up with poorer quality photos, another bad idea.

a decent photo printer with a digital workflow will do a significantly
better job with a lot less hassle than a darkroom ever could.

I will not discuss this with you. You are wrong,

i am not wrong.

unlike you, i understand the technology. you do not.

you're simply yet another uninformed film luddite who refuses to accept
the fact that modern technology has moved well beyond what never was
all that good anyway.

modern inkjet printers have a wider colour gamut and a wider dynamic
range than chemical prints, which means they are capable of producing
much better results than anything coming out of a darkroom ever could.
full stop.

this is something that can be objectively measured and not a matter of
opinion.

one such example of many:
https://www.insideimaging.com.au/wp-...04/Gamut-Compa
rison-Chart-Inkjet-Vs.gif

from the above graph, it's quite clear that the gamut of the printer is
significantly larger than kodak photo paper, which means the printer
can accurately reproduce a *lot* more colours.

and that's just the printer. images from digital cameras also have a
larger gamut and wider dynamic range as well as lower e, so the source
is also better than a negative or slide.

tl;dr digital has long surpassed film in every metric.

but the horse is dead;

it definitely is and has been for years, but not in the way you wish it
to be.

it's not worth my effort to beat it any longer.

of course not, because you do not understand the technology and you
know it. you can't refute anything, so you run away, as usual.

maybe one day you'll consider learning something new rather than repeat
the same old long disproven myths.