Some photogs are Applesheep

Old October 9th 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Some photogs are Applesheep

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
Guys tells how his Apple 5 watch experienced problems, so he goes and gets a 6. Gluttons for punishment or what?

Please tell us what the photography connection is or check this box:

[ ] Standard Rich Ranting Against Apple.

His problems are easily fixed following correct procedure rather than
poking in the dark and blaming the watch.

My SO's Watch 4 also balked at the update and it took a few tries. And
then, horror of horrors, a few settings did need to be reset.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old October 10th 20, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
Guys tells how his Apple 5 watch experienced problems, so he goes and
gets a 6. Gluttons for punishment or what?

Please tell us what the photography connection is or check this box:

[ ] Standard Rich Ranting Against Apple.

His problems are easily fixed following correct procedure rather than
poking in the dark and blaming the watch.

My SO's Watch 4 also balked at the update and it took a few tries. And
then, horror of horrors, a few settings did need to be reset.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

kid's toy:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tch_5_gps.html

Far from it, that is just your anti-Apple bias projecting.

Real watch:

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have an Omega SeaMaster, a TAG Heuer Chrono, my fathers 50+year old Rolex
Oyster, and a Seiko Solar chrono, all "real watches". Unfortunately none of
those keep as good time as my Apple Watch 4. None of them permits me access to
Apple Pay and my Amex card, my Visa card, my Goldman Sacks Apple MC Card, my
bank debit/Visa card, or my Apple Cash card.

None of them receives or sends text messages, or phone calls, a quick access
to GPS and location, weather, and so much more. Needless to say my 4 non-Apple
watches do not see much service these days. I see little need to update my
Apple Watch 4 today as investing in a truly expensive Rolex, Omega, Heuer, or
some other exotic which does not deliver the functionality that I have on my
wrist now, is pointless.
Savageduck

Old October 10th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
Guys tells how his Apple 5 watch experienced problems, so he goes and gets a 6. Gluttons for punishment or what?

Please tell us what the photography connection is or check this box:

[ ] Standard Rich Ranting Against Apple.

His problems are easily fixed following correct procedure rather than
poking in the dark and blaming the watch.

My SO's Watch 4 also balked at the update and it took a few tries. And
then, horror of horrors, a few settings did need to be reset.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

kid's toy:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tch_5_gps.html

Dozens of sensors. Hundreds of functions. Far beyond what a "watch"
was before...

Real watch:
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's what a watch used to be. Could tell time. Date. Stopwatch
perhaps. Maybe had a log computer attached (pilot's version).

It's not surprising you don't get it. You're like those people who see
an "iPhone" as a phone when it's far more than that and most people
don't even use them as phones much - the rest is of far greater value.

A Timex was far better value than pretty much any Rolex. Well, except
my father's old Oyster in my drawer here. But it stays here.

Old October 10th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
[...]

I have one watch, which has accurately told me the time (and
day-of-the-month) for over 30 years. And another mechanical one I've had
since I was 13, but haven't used since my newer one except when the
other away having battery cahnged and pressure tested once every couple
of years.

None of them permits me access to
Apple Pay and my Amex card, my Visa card, my Goldman Sacks Apple MC Card, my
bank debit/Visa card, or my Apple Cash card.

I have a phone that does all that. Don't need/want a watch to duplicate
it. Having a watch that does phone calls and texts too would be useful,
if not a bit fiddly.

None of them receives or sends text messages, or phone calls, a quick access
to GPS and location, weather, and so much more.

Peace at last !

Needless to say my 4 non-Apple
watches do not see much service these days. I see little need to update my
Apple Watch 4 today as investing in a truly expensive Rolex, Omega, Heuer, or
some other exotic which does not deliver the functionality that I have on my
wrist now, is pointless.

Pleased for you. You forgot to say that it tells you how many steps you
took today, your heart rate, etc. I'm just happy in my ignorance.

geoff

Old October 10th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

I'm just happy in my ignorance.

yep.
Old October 10th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 9, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
Guys tells how his Apple 5 watch experienced problems, so he goes and
gets a 6. Gluttons for punishment or what?
Please tell us what the photography connection is or check this box:

[ ] Standard Rich Ranting Against Apple.

His problems are easily fixed following correct procedure rather than
poking in the dark and blaming the watch.

My SO's Watch 4 also balked at the update and it took a few tries. And
then, horror of horrors, a few settings did need to be reset.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

kid's toy:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ll_a_watch_5_g
ps.html

Dozens of sensors. Hundreds of functions. Far beyond what a "watch"
was before...

Real watch:
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watc...a-dweller-blac
k-dial-automatic-steel-mens-watch-16600/id-j_7417261/?&currency=cad&gclid=Cj
wKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1T_52MdtksR7bPrqqK6rtInEu4EB eLPtfPqHXfYue-deXy2JI3cKQR
oC8VMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's what a watch used to be. Could tell time. Date. Stopwatch
perhaps. Maybe had a log computer attached (pilot's version).

Jewelry, decoration, and some are mechanical marvels. Smart watches and dumb
watches are simply two different things, each with its own purpose, and
different value to different people. I wear the dumb ones - I just like
looking at them. No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around. If I were still part of the working crowd, I’d probably have
a smart watch, but there is no value to me anymore. But I do not understand
Rolex. They just leave me cold.

Old October 10th 20, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 10/10/2020 2:53 pm, Bill W wrote:

No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish one's
phone out to check.

geoff
Old October 10th 20, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish one's
phone out to check.

not always. sometimes it's easier to look at a phone than push back a
jacket sleeve to uncover a watch, no fishing required.

on the other hand, a smar****ch can tap the time, so there's no need to
look at anything.
Old October 10th 20, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 10/10/2020 8:27 pm, nospam wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish one's
phone out to check.

not always. sometimes it's easier to look at a phone than push back a
jacket sleeve to uncover a watch, no fishing required.

Only if you are are millenial and/or carry your phone in your hand every
waking minute.

geoff