Panasonic FZ28 or FZ18 deleting photos

Old August 21st 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
robert

Default Panasonic FZ28 or FZ18 deleting photos

Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks
Old August 22nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_3_]

"robert" wrote in message
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

When transferring picture files from an SD card to the PC, in Windows Explorer
with both Panasonic Lumix and Pentax cameras, I always "move" the relevant
files, rather than "copy" them, and that automatically deletes them
on the SD card.

They can of course also be deleted using the camera alone.

That doesn't answer your question directly I suppose, only questions
why you'd ever want or need to delete pictures on the camera using the
PC in the first place, unless you'd just transferred them across.

michael adams

Old August 22nd 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_3_]

"robert" wrote in message
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

When transferring picture files from an SD card to the PC, in Windows Explorer
with both Panasonic Lumix and Pentax cameras, I always "move" the relevant
files, rather than "copy" them, and that automatically deletes them
on the SD card.

Perhaps I should add that I move them en bloc to a new folder on the PC, and
then afterwards delete any that I don't want to keep, from the folder on the PC.

Old August 22nd 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
robert

michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the comments, I would normally use move rather than copy and
delete (unless I was being paranoid) but
move still leaves the pictures on the camera.

Deleting/removing pictures via the USB connection fails however
attempted ie windows explorer or 3rd party photo management programs.
Old August 22nd 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

robert wrote:

Thanks for the comments, I would normally use move rather than copy
and delete (unless I was being paranoid) but
move still leaves the pictures on the camera.

Deleting/removing pictures via the USB connection fails however
attempted ie windows explorer or 3rd party photo management programs.

I would strongly suggest that you NEVER delete images from the card
using the computer, rather copy all images to an empty folder on the
computer from where you can edit or delete bad ones. Then, after
verifying the copy, use Format on the camera to clear the card for
re-use.

Many people have reported problems with corrupted cards after using
a computer to delete images - why risk it?
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK
Old August 22nd 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_4_]

"robert" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
[...]

Then try reformatting the card.

I've "moved" images from around 6 different cards in a Lumix FZ7, FZ8 and a
pentax K200, using Windows Explorer - both the camera and computer auto detect
the USB once the camera is switched on, and the Windows pane is refreshed.
And it always deletes the images in the process though it leaves the empty
directories behind.

Possibly the original formatting of your card was at fault.
You might also try a different card as it never hurts to have at least
one spare at hand.

The "delete all" option on the camera menu isn't that hard to find
anyway ISTR, though I've never used it myself on any of my three.

michael adams

Old August 22nd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_4_]

"robert" wrote in message

As a result of further research: if you're using Windows XP and maybe
others, with the camera plugged in, right click on the icon for any
directory on the SD card or maybe the card itself: then click on the properies
option at the bottom of that menu: and then uncheck the Read Only Box
in the attributes pane at the bottom of the box that comes up.
Apparently sometimes XP sets the Read Only option to ON by
default. Although its never happend to me.
It can also reset it back to Read-Only afterwards, which is a known
issue apparently

michael adams

Old August 23rd 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

robert wrote:
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

Are you using the "picture transfer" mode ("printer" icon on the dial))
or the "mass storage" mode (any other icon)? As far as I remember in the
"picture transfer" mode picture erasure is indeed impossible (which I
see as a safety measure).

OTOH I use a card reader (much faster) so I don't really care.

--
Bertrand
Old August 23rd 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

Alex Monro wrote:

Many people have reported problems with corrupted cards after using
a computer to delete images - why risk it?

Folk tales. It could have been true in the very early days of
photography, with bugs in the FAT handling in the camera firmware. I
can't believe recent cameras suffer from this.

I have myself performed several hundreds transfer sessions (and the
corresponding erasures) from my FZ8 and I have yet to see a card failure.

--
Bertrand
Old August 26th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
robert

robert wrote:
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

Update

Just had a reply from Panasonic - I had given up waiting !.

"Camera seen as read only device by PC , so cannot delete pictures via PC"

So thats sorted that out; had no problem doing this with SONY cameras.

Thanks for all the comments, will carry on working my way through the
rest of the menu options of my new toy.