Nikon LS-2000 Mirror cleaning

Old June 26th 04, 02:18 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Nikon LS-2000 Mirror cleaning

Ever taken one apart? There seems to be a folded optical path based
on a small mirror. The mirror is somewhat buried in the inards, not
very accessible. I presume it's a front-surface mirror, too. And on
mine, it's covered with dust. Could that be why I see so much
blooming especially in slide scans? Has anybody ever looked into
cleaning this mirror? I've got sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid for my
Fuji S2 sensor, and these things should be safe even for a
front-surface optical mirror I believe.
Old June 26th 04, 03:13 AM
David J. Littleboy

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Ever taken one apart? There seems to be a folded optical path based
on a small mirror. The mirror is somewhat buried in the inards, not
very accessible. I presume it's a front-surface mirror, too. And on
mine, it's covered with dust. Could that be why I see so much
blooming especially in slide scans? Has anybody ever looked into
cleaning this mirror? I've got sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid for my
Fuji S2 sensor, and these things should be safe even for a
front-surface optical mirror I believe.

I just had Nikon Japan clean my LS-8000. They charged me US$150 and took 2
weeks.

I'm installing a new PC, and haven't had time to see if they succeeded yet,
though.

Anyway, I'm a wimp, and I'd rather pay Nikon than take a chance on messing
it up myself. So my recommendation would be to call Nikon and ask them how
much they'd charge to do an overhaul. Then subtract that from the price of a
new model. Even the cheaper of the two does 4000 dpi.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 26th 04, 03:34 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"David J. Littleboy" writes:

[...]

Oh, I'd *really* love to get the LS-5000. And there's a partial
problem with my powered film strip feeder, too. But I don't really
have the money to pay for getting it fixed right now, let alone
upgrading. It's close to a matter of not using it, putting up with
what may be an effect of the dust, or trying to clean it myself.
Old June 26th 04, 04:05 AM
David J. Littleboy

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote:

Oh, I'd *really* love to get the LS-5000. And there's a partial
problem with my powered film strip feeder, too. But I don't really
have the money to pay for getting it fixed right now, let alone
upgrading. It's close to a matter of not using it, putting up with
what may be an effect of the dust, or trying to clean it myself.

Try asking at:
http://www.halftone.co.uk/tech/filmscan/maillist.htm

I seem to remember some folks on that list having done their own cleaning.
Traffic's been pretty slow of late, so some more activity would, I'm sure,
be appreciated.

There's also comp.periphs.scanners, which still has some activity.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 26th 04, 04:55 PM
Fred 2

Here is a link, if you are daring enough to try. After several years
of owning my LS2000 I thought it would need a cleaning, I opened it up
and the mirror was spotless.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~camera911/ls2000.html

Old June 26th 04, 06:48 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Fred 2 writes:

Here is a link, if you are daring enough to try. After several years
of owning my LS2000 I thought it would need a cleaning, I opened it up
and the mirror was spotless.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~camera911/ls2000.html

Thanks! I was daring enough to take the case off and find the mirror
and see the dust on it even *without* any advice and guidance, so I'll
probably go on in and clean it now.