taking pictures with computer?

Old September 25th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
zara

Default taking pictures with computer?

We recently got an hp photosmart 618 camera. I was wondering if there's
a way to take pictures directly from the computer and bypass the memory
card?

Thanks.

Old September 25th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
"zara" wrote:

We recently got an hp photosmart 618 camera. I was wondering if there's
a way to take pictures directly from the computer and bypass the memory
card?

You mean use it as a webcam?
Old September 25th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

zara wrote:
We recently got an hp photosmart 618 camera. I was wondering if there's
a way to take pictures directly from the computer and bypass the memory
card?

I know some cameras can do this but not all. If it can be done there
should be
software for it that came with the camera.

Scott

Old September 25th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
zara

"Stewy" wrote in message
"zara" wrote:

We recently got an hp photosmart 618 camera. I was wondering if

there's
a way to take pictures directly from the computer and bypass the

memory
card?

You mean use it as a webcam?

If that would make it possible to send the picture directly to the
computer, by passing the camera's memory card, then yes. (We don't have
a memory card in our camera at present.)

Old September 25th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

zara wrote:
"Stewy" wrote in message
"zara" wrote:

We recently got an hp photosmart 618 camera. I was wondering if

there's
a way to take pictures directly from the computer and bypass the

memory
card?

You mean use it as a webcam?

If that would make it possible to send the picture directly to the
computer, by passing the camera's memory card, then yes. (We don't have
a memory card in our camera at present.)

Unless the computer has wifi or has a direct capture feature, you need
the card. With Wifi you need to be in the general area of the computer,
thethering means you need a direct connection to the computer (ala web
cam). Both of these senarios don't give much flexibility and are only
available on certain cameras. Also most cameras need a card just to get
them working, start it up and you get a message on the menu screen
"Need Card" or "No Card Present".

Tom