Viewing Images on Computer Screen

Old September 27th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gordo[_2_]

Default Viewing Images on Computer Screen

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I would
like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and view the
image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can this be
done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the computer would
also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of new digital camera
users.

Thanks,

Gordo

Old September 27th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"Gordo" wrote:
I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I would
like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and view the
image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can this be
done?

No. Because the sensor doesn't see anything and therefore can't caputure
anything as long as the mirror is closed.

And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the computer would
also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of new digital camera
users.

You are looking for a web cam. Or maybe those new-fangled cameras with
live view although I don't know if they will pipe the live view to the
USB port.

jue
Old September 27th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Jürgen Exner wrote:
"Gordo" wrote:
I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I would
like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and view the
image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can this be
done?

No. Because the sensor doesn't see anything and therefore can't caputure
anything as long as the mirror is closed.

And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the computer would
also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of new digital camera
users.

You are looking for a web cam. Or maybe those new-fangled cameras with
live view although I don't know if they will pipe the live view to the
USB port.

I think there may be a video-out jack receptacle to show the menus or
photo review after shooting with histogram... whatever is on the LCD
screen. My D200 has that though I never used it, I think it would have
to plug directly into a TV or the projector in this case. Remote control
software with a computer would be a different scenario and would not
show the actual LCD screen, it would be better but not the same.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 28th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Gordo wrote:

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I
would like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and view
the image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can
this be done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the
computer would also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of new
digital camera users.

The Canons with LiveView (e.g. 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D, 7D) all do exactly what
you want using the supplied remote control software.

Old September 28th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Peter Black wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Gordo wrote:

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I
would like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and
view
the image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can
this be done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the
computer would also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of
new
digital camera users.

The Canons with LiveView (e.g. 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D, 7D) all do exactly
what you want using the supplied remote control software.

Is this the same as the point & shoot Canon SD430, but in the larger
camera?

No, they are all digital SRLs. I don't know anything about Canon compact
cameras.

Old September 28th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BetterInfo

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:20:41 +0800, "Wilba"
wrote:

Peter Black wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Gordo wrote:

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I
would like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and
view
the image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can
this be done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the
computer would also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of
new
digital camera users.

The Canons with LiveView (e.g. 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D, 7D) all do exactly
what you want using the supplied remote control software.

Is this the same as the point & shoot Canon SD430, but in the larger
camera?

No, they are all digital SRLs. I don't know anything about Canon compact
cameras.

Nearly all Canon Powershot P&S cameras provide this capability (except for
the latest releases, Canon stopped supporting remote capture). I much
prefer to use the freeware Cam4You Remote software for remote viewing and
capturing. Its capabilities and features beats the pants off of Granite Bay
Time Lapse or PSRemote, as well as greatly surpassing Canon's own support
of remote viewing and capturing software.

See this list of Canon Powershot (P&S) cameras supported by Cam4You Remote:

http://alkenius.no-ip.org/Cam4you_remote/index.html

Now if you want to get even more automated the SDM version of CHDK even
allows you to automatically download photos from Powershot cameras taken
with CHDK scripts (Av/Tv/Focus-bracketing, time-lapse, HDR, etc.) to your
computer as needed.

Old September 28th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Russell[_3_]

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:23:47 -0700, Gordo wrote:

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I would
like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and view the
image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can this be
done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the computer would
also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of new digital camera
users.

The D80 does support video output for already captured images. You could
display this directly. If you have other items on the computer screen that
are part of the presentation, use a video digitizer to put this image on
your computer, which you would in turn display to the class.

If you need to show the live viewfinder, experiment with attaching a web
cam - good ones are in the $100 range - to the camera's view finder.
Depending on how important using the D80 is, you could also get a Point and
Shoot with the functionality you need, and display the electronic
viewfinder.

--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com