Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

Old January 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

It does not take flash recharge time, and write to card times into
account.

Look at the times. They are lightning fast for many cameras. Much
faster than a camera can recharge a flash and write to a card. This
comparison is for shutter lag only. The numbers are matched very
closely to the numbers that you would have to manually look up at
http://www.imaging-resource.com
Old January 7th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Steve Cutchen wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm
They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Continuous auto-focus can also slow things quite a bit. I define
'shutter lag' as the time between full depression of the shutter button,
and recording of the image.

in memory... i.e. getting the shot. Yes. I'd agree.

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

Pre-squeezing reduced the shutter lag to zero, but at the sacrifice of
locking in the AF and exposure. In some cases, not a bad compromise if
you are careful at what scene you pre-squeeze.

I have used that pre-focus/exposure to good purpose when scenes are backlit.
Old January 7th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

It does not take flash recharge time, and write to card times into
account.

Look at the times. They are lightning fast for many cameras. Much
faster than a camera can recharge a flash and write to a card. This
comparison is for shutter lag only. The numbers are matched very
closely to the numbers that you would have to manually look up at
http://www.imaging-resource.com

Sorry, but the second column of times are for 5 shots. Many of the
cameras listed will not take 5 shots without writing to the card, and
that is obvious in the times.
Old January 7th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:52:19 -0600, Ron Hunter

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

It does not take flash recharge time, and write to card times into
account.

Look at the times. They are lightning fast for many cameras. Much
faster than a camera can recharge a flash and write to a card. This
comparison is for shutter lag only. The numbers are matched very
closely to the numbers that you would have to manually look up at
http://www.imaging-resource.com

Sorry, but the second column of times are for 5 shots. Many of the
cameras listed will not take 5 shots without writing to the card, and
that is obvious in the times.

Then the five shot column reflects the "real world" time of the
particular camera. This hardly make the listing not useful.
Old January 8th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:
[...]

If the intention is to figure out which cameras can take 5 pictures the
fastest, it is, indeed, useful, but for purposes of assessing the
quality of a camera's shutter lag, the second column IS useless.
The first one is much more pertinent.
Old January 9th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Bandicoot

wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

Thanks to everyone who replied. This table was very interesting - though
the main point it seems to make is just how awful the lag is for all the
cameras listed.

Well, my friend has her new toy now and is very pleased with it: a Ricoh
Caplio R4. This met her requirements well, and testing one 'hands on' it
had much shorter lag times than the others we looked at.

The oft repeated advice to pre-set focus and exposure with a half press,
incidentally, isn't a complete answer (if it was, I wouldn't have asked the
question in the first place...) since there is still quite a lot of lag with
all these cameras even then - the Canon Ixus 65 and Panasonic DMC FX07 being
particularly bad in this regard when I tested them, for example.

Thanks again,

Peter

Old February 1st 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ben Brugman

technique. Pre-squeezing to set focus and exposure... then waiting
for the shot. Release of the shutter from this point is instantaneous.

No it is not. Recently a lot of camera's have reduced the shutterlag for
pre-squeezing (pre-focussing and ae) to about or under 1/10 of a second.
But not to long ago there where camera's which to more than 3/10 of
a second using pre-focussing (or even over a second).
The fastest I have seen is 0.06 seconds. Which is still not instantaneous,
but getting close.
I believe that the fastes DSLR now manages in 0.035 seconds.

Old SLR's used to have a shutterlag of around 0.05 seconds, fastest was
a special constructed canon with a shutterlag of 0.008 seconds.

1/10 of a second is for a lot of situations still noticeble, but it is a
real
improvement from the shutterlag of most camera's a few years ago.

ben

Old February 2nd 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Steve Cutchen wrote:

The only real effective way to account for shutter lag in a P&S is
technique. Pre-squeezing to set focus and exposure... then waiting
for the shot. Release of the shutter from this point is instantaneous.

Maybe it is on *your* camera but it certainly isn't on mine. They
only way I've been able to deal with the problem is by pushing
the release button early and that's pretty much a guess.

--
http://yosemitephotos.net/

Old May 28th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Jack Campin - bogus address

I have been asked to help buy a compact digital camera, and am
currently, with the intended purchaser, making our shortlist of
models to look at based on published spec.s and reviews. But
as we all know, published spec.s very rarely say anything about
shutter lag...

Only if you're not looking in the right place. DPReview gives
the lags times on all it's full reviews.

But not on its searchable comparison table. Are we supposed to
scan reviews for every camera in creation to find this out?

This is THE most important feature for me - my usual axes are an
ancient Leica rangefinder and a TLR, I even find film SLRs rather
slow. Second is an optical viewfinder (I'm too presbyopic to use
a screen). Third is low-light performance. I don't give a monkey's
about pixel count or zoom and I want the thing to be cheap as it'll
be going to some fairly rough places and might well not be coming
back. Doesn't need to be new. What is there?

I've never owned a digital, but I've borrowed a few reasonably
expensive point & shoots from friends and they all had unusably
slow response times for anything I wanted to do.