Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

Old December 23rd 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

Default Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:22:42 -0500, Alan Browne, the one and only,
wrote:

====================================
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:39:52 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

Then it's not stainless steel.

====================================

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

Tell Ron that he made the same mistake that you, Alan Browne, made
earlier this A.M.! I wonder if he'll also then acknowledge his
mistake in a followup reply while making a show of how much he
*really* knows about the magnetic properties of stainless steel, as
you did?

Old December 23rd 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

wrote:

John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

Then it's not stainless steel.

My stainless sinc is not magnetic, but the microwave is...

Old December 23rd 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan Browne wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Old December 23rd 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 23rd 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Thomas

John McWilliams wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

Imagine this scenario, John.

Your family life revolves around the fridge - there are messages,
calendars, sentimental trinkets, witty sayings, obscene little trolls
(why did I think of that?), dreamcatchers, reminders, ads for essential
services like Jeff's AirCon Regas, all safe and secure with their little
magnetized backs....

Then one fateful day, you decide to upgrade to the latest SS fridge, and
then invite all of the family to an event where it gets installed and
all of the above gets transferred. Imagine your embarrassment..

...no?

Well, I tried.
Old December 23rd 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:51:04 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

This might be one of the areas where your wife could teach you a
thing or two. Or not. There are many types of stainless steel
cookware, and many of them don't work on induction ranges.

You are quite right. I just checked our stainless cookware, and it is
NOT magnetic. Somehow, I suspect that there is VERY little iron in it.
Just how much iron must be in something sold as 'steel'? Is there any
labeling requirement?
Old December 23rd 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

Well, for over 1500 years it was believed that spiders had six legs
because Aristotle (I think) said they were insects, and ALL insects had
six legs. Surely someone in all those years actually COUNTED the spider
legs.... At least I got curious and took the 'rare earth' magnetic I
keep handy and TESTED to see if the 'stainless steel' cookware my wife
bought was magnetic, and found it was not. Now, just HOW can the label
something with so little iron in it 'steel'? Of course, anyone who uses
stainless steel knows that the name 'stainless' is a misnomer also as it
stains quite easily, but rather should be called 'rustless'. But then
if you leave the iron out of it, of course it is rustless! Now I
understand why it is more expensive than a cast iron pot, it is really
nickel, or chromium, both of which are much more expensive.
Amazing what one can learn in this newsgroup.
Old December 23rd 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:
We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.
... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

Well, if my refrigerator were made of a non-magnetic metal, where would
I hang all those nice photos of nieces and nephews?
Old December 23rd 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:41:27 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

You are quite right. I just checked our stainless cookware, and it is
NOT magnetic. Somehow, I suspect that there is VERY little iron in it.
Just how much iron must be in something sold as 'steel'? Is there any
labeling requirement?

It's not the lack of iron that makes stainless steel non-magnetic.
It's the way that it's heat-treated as well as the other metals that
are added. From what I've read (I guess you missed the quotes and
links) after the steel is heated to make it non-magnetic, nickel is
added to (among other things) keep it non-magnetic after it cools.
Here are the links I posted :

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae546.cfm

http://www.supremesteel.co.nz/articl...l_magnetic.php

Old December 23rd 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:51:55 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

Have you no moral compass, sir?