Street photography?

Old February 2nd 16, 09:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Street photography?

On 2/2/2016 2:37 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
PeterN wrote:
I took this shot of a musician enjoying himself, on a
nice warm night on the Savannah River. Rather than show
a literal postcard of this guy, I have tried to convey
my feeling while listening to him.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160_1through%20Monet%27s%20Eyes.jpg

That can't really be called Street Photography.

That's why I put the question mark in the subject line. If I did no
manipulation I think it would be street. But I am really not sure if my
post changed it from street.

It is absolutely an interesting abstraction though. Just the
kind of thing that causes some to screem murder, and others
to screem wow.

Thanks for your comment. I know going in that not everybody will like
it. I was hoping it would stimulate a non inflammatory discussion.

--
PeterN
Old February 2nd 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

rOn Tue, 2 Feb 2016 06:11:31 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave

On 2016-02-02 13:43:47 +0000, PeterN said:

I took this shot of a musician enjoying himself, on a nice warm night
on the Savannah River. Rather than show a literal postcard of this
guy, I have tried to convey my feeling while listening to him.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160_1through%20Monet%27s%20Eyes.jpg

So

you were doing acid?

Never touched the stuff. I don't need it.
I know a lot of people don't like this style, but to me the important
thing is that I do. Your comment shows the image made an impact on you,
even if negative. At least you looked.

Ah but is it art that's the important Q ... jonas, tony, nospam ? ;-)

Well, I think it is art.

I can see what PeterN has been trying to do and it's not just the
simple processing by an application or plugin. Peter has had exercise
his own control over what he has been doing and IMHO that makes it
art.

How good it is, is another matter. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old February 3rd 16, 01:30 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

PeterN wrote:
I took this shot of a musician enjoying himself, on a nice warm night on the Savannah
River. Rather than show a literal postcard of this guy, I have tried to convey my feeling
while listening to him.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160_1through%20Monet%27s%20Eyes.jpg

My opinion: too much Monet. Try about 1/2 the amount.
And add a slight touch of Monet to the face.
But... I don't use that software so don't know if that can be done or not.
Old February 3rd 16, 02:07 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/2/2016 8:30 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
PeterN wrote:
I took this shot of a musician enjoying himself, on a nice warm night
on the Savannah
River. Rather than show a literal postcard of this guy, I have tried
to convey my feeling
while listening to him.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160_1through%20Monet%27s%20Eyes.jpg

My opinion: too much Monet. Try about 1/2 the amount.
And add a slight touch of Monet to the face.
But... I don't use that software so don't know if that can be done or not.

I have complete control over the amount. I place the processed image on
a separate layer. The amount of the treatment is easily controlled by
varying the opacity. To keep his face, I used a mask, the strength of
which can also be varied.

As I said earlier and will continue to say, I appreciate all
constructive comments, and consider them. In this type of image there is
no right or wrong. It's all individual taste.
Some folk prefer a filet mignon and others like sirloin. Doesn't make
either wrong.
Thanks for your comment.

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-02-02 13:43:47 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I don't think there's a good or bad aspect to it. To the viewer, it's
"like" or "don't like".

Yep!

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

PeterN wrote:
[...]

Okay, as long as you won't be offended, my first thought when looking
at it was Paul Simon dressed as a turkey on SNL years ago. Your
musician looks like he's covered in feathers to me. I don't think that
was your intent, and I suppose it could just be me...
Old February 3rd 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

PeterN wrote:
[...]

I have a think skin and am not easily insulted. Comments about any image
I post do not insult me. Since my image was an impression, many will
have different opinions on what it represents. Please, don't feel you
have to hold back. It was not intended to be a neutral image and I know
many will hate it. I still look forward to comments.
BTW I deliberately posted that image in the hope that it will encourage
others to post, and more importantly, divert discussions away from that
stupid tool war.

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 16, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

PeterN wrote:
[...]

That should have read thick skin.

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 16, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 22:12:14 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

BTW I deliberately posted that image in the hope that it will encourage
others to post, and more importantly, divert discussions away from that
stupid tool war.

Heh. I don't blame you.
Old February 3rd 16, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

PeterN wrote:
[...]

There are two major schools:
photography == reality