Art as crap for the sheep

Old January 22nd 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Art as crap for the sheep

On 01/21/2016 11:53 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:29:40 -0800 (PST), Rich A
wrote:

A New York artist and stock trader lost tens of thousands on stock trades lately so she drew the stock lines of her trades as black lines on white canvas
and sold a dozen of them for $10,000/ea. I honestly don't care what statement she was making, they weren't worth $10k each, but at least she made up for her losses.

My daddy always told me the worth of something is what a willing buyer
will pay a willing seller.

That's exactly right.

Basically if I want to find the value of something ,,, I look on eBay
and see where the bids go.

Right now I have $450 worth of new electronic parts listed at $65 and
have gotten zero bids which mean they are worth absolutely nothing.

BTW: Does anyone have the email addresses for the folks who dished out
$10k ?
Old January 22nd 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

My daddy always told me the worth of something is what a willing buyer
will pay a willing seller.

That's exactly right.

Basically if I want to find the value of something ,,, I look on eBay
and see where the bids go.

Right now I have $450 worth of new electronic parts listed at $65 and
have gotten zero bids which mean they are worth absolutely nothing.

the only bids that matter are the ones within the last 5-10 seconds.

if the auction closes without any bids at all, then whatever you listed
is worth less than $65 and you should start the bidding lower or the
listing wasn't worded well enough to get hits from people who might be
interested.
Old January 22nd 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/22/2016 4:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 15:44:05 -0500, nospam

snip

if the auction closes without any bids at all, then whatever you listed
is worth less than $65 and you should start the bidding lower or the
listing wasn't worded well enough to get hits from people who might be
interested.

Or, the people who would be interested, and would bid, just aren't
viewing eBay during the run of the ad. Lowering the price or
re-wording the ad won't bring people to eBay. They have to be there
for their own reasons.

Sometimes just re-running the same ad at the same price works.

Now tell me that eBay is another area I don't understand. I have over
300 positive feedbacks, and mostly as a seller.

You're underestimating nospam. He/she could tell you exactly how to run
a medical supply business, and everything you did wrong.
I cannot think of a business or other activity that wouldn't have been
run better by nospam.

--
PeterN
Old January 22nd 16, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

My daddy always told me the worth of something is what a willing buyer
will pay a willing seller.

That's exactly right.

Basically if I want to find the value of something ,,, I look on eBay
and see where the bids go.

Right now I have $450 worth of new electronic parts listed at $65 and
have gotten zero bids which mean they are worth absolutely nothing.

the only bids that matter are the ones within the last 5-10 seconds.

if the auction closes without any bids at all, then whatever you listed
is worth less than $65 and you should start the bidding lower or the
listing wasn't worded well enough to get hits from people who might be
interested.

Or, the people who would be interested, and would bid, just aren't
viewing eBay during the run of the ad.

there's always a chance that interested buyers aren't looking, but
given that there are a *lot* of people on ebay, the chances of there
being nobody at all are extremely small.

the point is that most bidding takes place in the last few seconds.

bidding early serves no purpose other than to increase the price for
the buyer, which is why savvy ebayers *always* snipe.

the fact that nobody has bid on his stuff means absolutely nothing
unless the auction has *ended*.

Lowering the price or
re-wording the ad won't bring people to eBay. They have to be there
for their own reasons.

rewording is not to bring people to ebay, it's so that the people
already there can find relevant items when searching. knowing the best
keywords to use in a listing is very important, especially when space
is limited.

savvy ebayers search for incorrect spellings or other mistakes because
they know they'll have less competition. there are even apps that help
do that for you.

lowering the price can help because if people see a high starting price
and/or a reserve, they may decide to wait for someone else to post the
same or similar item for less.

Sometimes just re-running the same ad at the same price works.

sometimes. it depends on the item and its price as well as other
factors.

Now tell me that eBay is another area I don't understand. I have over
300 positive feedbacks, and mostly as a seller.

based on what you've written so far, you do not.
Old January 23rd 16, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 01/22/2016 03:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

the only bids that matter are the ones within the last 5-10 seconds.

if the auction closes without any bids at all, then whatever you listed
is worth less than $65 and you should start the bidding lower or the
listing wasn't worded well enough to get hits from people who might be
interested.

Or, the people who would be interested, and would bid, just aren't
viewing eBay during the run of the ad. Lowering the price or
re-wording the ad won't bring people to eBay. They have to be there
for their own reasons.

Sometimes just re-running the same ad at the same price works.

Now tell me that eBay is another area I don't understand. I have over
300 positive feedbacks, and mostly as a seller.

Even though the parts I have listed will probably not sell it costs me
nothing to try...so what the heck.

A while back when I got a new camera I put my old one up for sale on
eBay and only got one bid...but heck that was all it takes to make a sale.
Old January 23rd 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Right now I have $450 worth of new electronic parts listed at $65 and
have gotten zero bids which mean they are worth absolutely nothing.

the only bids that matter are the ones within the last 5-10 seconds.

if the auction closes without any bids at all, then whatever you listed
is worth less than $65 and you should start the bidding lower or the
listing wasn't worded well enough to get hits from people who might be
interested.

Or, the people who would be interested, and would bid, just aren't
viewing eBay during the run of the ad.

there's always a chance that interested buyers aren't looking, but
given that there are a *lot* of people on ebay, the chances of there
being nobody at all are extremely small.

Nonsense. You're ignoring the nature of the product.

nope.

Some items have
such a limited appeal that very few people ever view ads for the sale
of these items. All it takes is one, but that one may not be present.

some might, but the majority do not.

[...]

What a bunch of worthless platitudes you offer. You try so
desperately hard to pretend you're an expert in everything.

you're so desperately trying to attack me at every turn.

i never claimed to be an expert at everything. i'm simply sharing my
extensive ebay experience, as both a buyer and a seller.

Now tell me that eBay is another area I don't understand. I have over
300 positive feedbacks, and mostly as a seller.

based on what you've written so far, you do not.

Over the years I've only listed one item that never sold. Many items
required multiple inserts, but they finally sold.

so what?

what matters is if they sold on the high end of the curve, not the low
end.

knowing how to work the system results in the former. based on what
you've written, your sales were probably more towards the latter.
Old January 25th 16, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Or they are but don;t want you to know.

that doesn't matter. what matters is if interested buyers see the
listings.

but
given that there are a *lot* of people on ebay, the chances of there
being nobody at all are extremely small.

There's always someone on ebay.

millions. it's amazing how reliable it is.

the point is that most bidding takes place in the last few seconds.

Only by the foolish, it's what ebays wants.

nope.

ebay wants early bidding because it causes higher closing prices and
therefore more revenue for ebay.

buyers prefer lower closing prices, and the best way to do that is by
sniping.

bidding early serves no purpose other than to increase the price for
the buyer, which is why savvy ebayers *always* snipe.

No they don't they just think they do.

wrong. early bidding drives up prices.

So called savy buyers decide on a price and will NOT get carried away with
last second bids. The 'snipe' thing is unrealible as it depends on many
things, including server speeds and local connections.

savvy buyers decide on a price and then snipe it. they do *not* bid
early.

there is *no* advantage for a buyer to bid early. it only drives up the
final price. sellers want that, not buyers.

as for network latencies, they're taken into account when sniping. if
you're on a slow link, snipe a little earlier than if you're on a fast
link. no big deal.

the fact that nobody has bid on his stuff means absolutely nothing
unless the auction has *ended*.

A bit like fat ladies singing.

eh?

savvy ebayers search for incorrect spellings or other mistakes because
they know they'll have less competition. there are even apps that help
do that for you.

Badly listed items or items with little info or placed in the wrong sections
can be lucrative.

yes they can.

lowering the price can help because if people see a high starting price
and/or a reserve, they may decide to wait for someone else to post the
same or similar item for less.

On a few items higher the price get it noticed, especaially for faked items
you don't want to advertise them too cheap.

it might get noticed but it won't sell if the price is too high.
Old January 25th 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

the point is that most bidding takes place in the last few seconds.

Only by the foolish, it's what ebays wants.

nope.

Yep do you actually know how bidding works ?

yes, and much better than you do.

what also matters is the psychology of bidding.

Those that bid in the last few moments spend more than what they intend
spending in the majrity of cases.

wrong.

there's no way to outbid a snipe.

People get carried away and bid to win rather than bid to get a bargin.
people get carried away... you can see it happen in real auctions and even
those on TV such as storage lockers....

that's why bidding early is a bad idea if the goal is to get the lowest
price.

bidding early leads to bidding wars, which drives up the price.

there's not enough time for a bidding war with sniping.

ebay wants early bidding because it causes higher closing prices and
therefore more revenue for ebay.

well that's obvious as it's money in their pocket, it's allmost like a
deposit.
ebays wants the bid to go as high as possible.
if eberyone sets their maximium bid and sticks with it....

that's not what people do.

More and more on ebay are "buy it now anyway" why don't ebay refuse to allow
such items ?

there is no bidding on a buy it now. you either decide that the price
is acceptable or it's not.

buy it now is a totally different strategy. for that, you want to find
ignorant sellers who don't know what something is worth and offer it
for much less that it's worth. such items sell very quickly, sometimes
within a minute or two of being listed.

buyers prefer lower closing prices, and the best way to do that is by
sniping.

No it's, by not bidding.

not bidding doesn't get you the item.

bidding early serves no purpose other than to increase the price for
the buyer, which is why savvy ebayers *always* snipe.

No they don't they just think they do.

wrong. early bidding drives up prices.

There's little proof of that other than it's use as an ad.

there's plenty of proof.

So called savy buyers decide on a price and will NOT get carried away with
last second bids. The 'snipe' thing is unrealible as it depends on many
things, including server speeds and local connections.

savvy buyers decide on a price and then snipe it. they do *not* bid
early.

Savvy buysers can lose out like that I;'ve know those that have.

the they're not that savvy.

It's just not relible enough if you really want something.

it's very reliable, but if you really want something then you're going
to pay more. that's just the way it is. if you can wait for a better
price, you can get it for less.

there is *no* advantage for a buyer to bid early. it only drives up the
final price. sellers want that, not buyers.

for the bidder that knows what's the products worth it doesn't matter.

yes it does.

as for network latencies, they're taken into account when sniping. if
you're on a slow link, snipe a little earlier than if you're on a fast
link. no big deal.

Not heard that one before.

there's a lot you haven't heard before.

the fact that nobody has bid on his stuff means absolutely nothing
unless the auction has *ended*.

A bit like fat ladies singing.

eh?

The end poitn it's not over until the fat lady sings.

which is what i said, that the final price is what matters.

On a few items higher the price get it noticed, especaially for faked
items
you don't want to advertise them too cheap.

it might get noticed but it won't sell if the price is too high.

Which is why pro bidders set their price and stick to it.

no they definitely don't.

they snipe.
Old January 25th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Yep do you actually know how bidding works ?

yes, and much better than you do.

what also matters is the psychology of bidding.

If you truly understood how bidding works, you'd say that what also
matters is the tactics of bidding. There is no psychology involved
because there is no way to study the mind or behavior of the other
bidder(s).

wrong.

the psychology of bidding is well understood. just not by you.

Those that bid in the last few moments spend more than what they intend
spending in the majrity of cases.

wrong.

there's no way to outbid a snipe.

In the case of two snipers bidding on the same item, the one using the
higher max bid will win. One of the snipers has been outbid.

you don't say!

the point which you miss is that a bidding war is impossible.
Old January 25th 16, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:12:27 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Yep do you actually know how bidding works ?

yes, and much better than you do.

what also matters is the psychology of bidding.

If you truly understood how bidding works, you'd say that what also
matters is the tactics of bidding. There is no psychology involved
because there is no way to study the mind or behavior of the other
bidder(s).

wrong.

Typical. You say "wrong" but are unable to demonstrate why.

no need to demonstrate anything. it's wrong, and you even agree with it!

the psychology of bidding is well understood. just not by you.

There is no psychology of bidding in blind bidding venues.

ebay isn't a blind bidding venue.

Where the
opposing bidder(s) are present, there can be an element of psychology.
There are techniques and tactics that can be used in blind bidding,
but not psychology. Not if you understand what "psychology" is.

in other words, there's psychology with ebay bidding.

once again, you're arguing even though you agree. you're truly one
****ed up individual.

To place a bid at the last second is not a psychological tactic.

yes it is.

Those that bid in the last few moments spend more than what they intend
spending in the majrity of cases.

wrong.

there's no way to outbid a snipe.

In the case of two snipers bidding on the same item, the one using the
higher max bid will win. One of the snipers has been outbid.

you don't say!

the point which you miss is that a bidding war is impossible.

So you admit to making an incorrect statement?

it's not incorrect.

once again, you're showing your ignorance.

As you so often say, "i did not say...". I didn't say a bidding war
is impossible. I said that you are wrong in saying that there is no
way to outbid a snipe.

it's not wrong.

it's impossible to outbid a snipe because the auction will have ended
by the time you try to bid again.

that's the whole *point* of sniping, to prevent a bidding war, which is
what drives up the price.