frightening declassified images

Old January 23rd 16, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default frightening declassified images

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:34:42 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 22 January 2016 15:44:05 UTC-5, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:00:01 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 22 January 2016 12:28:39 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 22, 2016, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 1/22/2016 12:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

These declassified images recall what I think should be our biggest
real concern

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm
I thought global warming is supposed to be our biggest concern.

Active use of the current global nuclear weapon inventory is certainly going
to accelerate global warming.

Until it brings on global cooling, aka, "nuclear winter." Though the envirokooks never did say why thousands of tests they did never had that effect.

Because they were spread over both time and place and most of them
were underground.

Eric Stevens

Only later on. Truth was, most targeted nukes were to be air bursts and would generate little dust or even fall-out. Only strikes on nuclear silos or buried facilities would have raised dust. Also, even at the height of testing (1963) the average person's exposure to generated radiation amounted to about 1/500th the natural yearly dose.

Which has got nothing to do with a nuclear winter.

Eric Stevens
Old January 23rd 16, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Peirce[_2_]

On 1/22/16 12:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

These declassified images recall what I think should be our biggest real
concern

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

I wonder how much radiation those workers were exposed to.
Old January 23rd 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 23, 2016, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

On 1/22/16 12:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

These declassified images recall what I think should be our biggest real
concern

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

I wonder how much radiation those workers were exposed to.

Probably not as much as the GI's exposed during some of the tests in the late
40's early 50’s. However, working on that project was not without its
dangers particularly for those who worked at the Los Alamos lab, Oak Ridge
and especially Hanford. There were accidents at Los Alamos the most famous of
which involved two critical mass experiments a year apart with the same
plutonium-gallium bomb core. The first was in 1945 when Harry K. Daghlian
irradiated himself when he accidently dropped a tungsten-carbide brick onto
the core he died 25 days later.

On May 21, 1946 in preparation for the “Crossroads” tests at Bikini Atoll
a Canadian physicist, Louis Slotin, while conducting a criticality experiment
with the same core which killed Daghlian, triggered a “prompt critical”
reaction with a burst of “hard radiation” when a screw driver slipped
exposing him to a lethal dose of neutron radiation. He died nine days later
in what can only be described as a horrifying and agonizing death.

There were 7 others in the room at the time of the accident, each recieved
different levels of irradiation none of which was quantified as none of them
was wearing a dosimeter badge. Those were locked in a secure box 100ft away.
Three of those died of conditions directly related to the exposure recieved
at the accident. Alvin Graves suffered acute radiation sickness, and for the
rest of his life suffered chronic neurological and vision problems. Marion
Edward Cieslicki died 19 years later of acute myeloid leukemia. Young also
suffered neurologic and vision damage and died from aplastic anemia and
chronic bacterial infection.

After that accident all hands-on critical assembly and experiment work at Los
Alamos stopped and was restricted to isolation rooms with all work done using
remote controlled manipulators.

The “demon core” as it had come to be known was used in the “Able”
detonation of the Crossroads tests.

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-23 14:18:19 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Edward Cieslicki died 19 years later of acute myeloid leukemia. Dwight
Young also
suffered neurologic and vision damage and died from aplastic anemia and
chronic bacterial infection.

After that accident all hands-on critical assembly and experiment work at Los
Alamos stopped and was restricted to isolation rooms with all work done using
remote controlled manipulators.

The “demon core” as it had come to be known was used in the “Able”
detonation of the Crossroads tests.

This was the last anybody saw of the "Demon Core":
http://www.mnh.si.edu/onehundredyears/expeditions/Bikini/SIA2010-0974_large.jpg

Then

coincidentally, but not necessarily related to their work, J. Robert
Openheimer, a chronic chain smoker, died from throat cancer, and
Richard Feynman died from two rare forms of cancer, liposarcoma and
Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/22/2016 11:25 PM, rickman wrote:
On 1/22/2016 10:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 22, 2016, rickman wrote
(in article ):

On 1/22/2016 8:46 PM, Davoud wrote:
John McWilliams:
So, who, when and where was the switch made from the fat white bomb to
the cylindrical black one?

A bit confusing. They are different bombs. "Fat Man" (the second bomb
to be dropped, Nagasaki) had a diameter of 1.5 meters. "Little Boy" had
a diameter of 71 cm. Fat Man was a plutonium bomb, Little Boy used
U-235 as its fissile material. Fat Man was a more advanced design, with
considerably more energy released than Little Boy.

I see one in a photo called "Thin Man" and they talk about a bomb with
that name in the show "Manhattan". I've only heard of the two above.
Was "Thin Man" an alternate gun type bomb? In the show they talk about
"Fat Man" working with a lot less fissile material. Is that the reason
"Thin Man" was dropped in favor of "Fat Man"?

“Thin Man” was never dropped. It only existed as a trigger mechanism.

“Thin Man” was the trigger gun mechanism not the bomb and never reached
fruition as a bomb. A converted “Thin Man” trigger gun mechanism was used
in the “Little Boy” bomb. Only one “Little Boy” bomb, with the
“Thin Man” trigger substituting uranium for plutonium was ever detonated,
that was the Hiroshima bomb.

During the Manhattan Project there was a “Thin Man” bomb developed, never
completed, which used a plutonium gun trigger. This proved to be
unstable and
dangerous because of high concentrations of plutonium-240 resulting in
spontaneous fission in the triggers. It was abandoned in July 1944 and
the
engineering of the “Thin Man” triggers was converted for use in the
“Little Boy” bomb using enriched uranium.

“Fat Man” was a complicated implosion detonated device with a
plutonium-240 core. The triggering was trickier so regardless of being
the
type used for the first atomic blast in New Mexico, it was deemed best
to use
the simpler“Little Boy” uranium-235 bomb with the “Thin Man” heritage
gun for the first war time atomic detonation, with “Fat Man” playing the
follow up role at Nagasaki.

....and Fat Man with a 14Lb plutonium core had a 20 kiloton yield,
compared
with the “Little Boy” yield of 15 kilotons with a 140 Lb uranium-235
core.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the yield of these weapons were
higher than that, more than 100 ktons. Very scary to know of the
destruction these bombs caused in the context of many megaton bombs we
now have. I can't picture the result if we had a nuclear war. I really
can't imagine it.

Which is exactly why I used that subject line, which I thought would be
apolitical.

I wonder why we haven't reduced our stocks of nuclear weapons further?
Wouldn't that still be in the interest of all parties involved or have
we already reduced them to a point where further reductions might make
us seem weak to the countries other than the Russians?

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Old Geezerr

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 00:43:17 -0500, Davoud wrote:

rickman:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the yield of these weapons were
higher than that, more than 100 ktons. Very scary to know of the
destruction these bombs caused in the context of many megaton bombs we
now have. I can't picture the result if we had a nuclear war. I really
can't imagine it.

It's the airburst that causes such widespread destruction from a
relatively small warhead. As for picturing the result of a nuclear war,
you have seen it in photos of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. So has the rest
of the world, and that's why we haven't had a nuclear war.

I wonder why we haven't reduced our stocks of nuclear weapons further?
Wouldn't that still be in the interest of all parties involved or have
we already reduced them to a point where further reductions might make
us seem weak to the countries other than the Russians?

Unless a way is found to rid the world of all nuclear weapons we need
to maintain an adequate stockpile of deterrent nuclear weapons. If the
leadership of a ****-ant DPRK or Iran should go nuts and lob a nuke or
two our way they need to know that whatever we suffer they will suffer
a hundredfold. If a U.S. regime goes nuts under the influence of
apocalyptic "Christian" fundamentalists who want to bring on their
imagined god's apocalypse, then all bets are off and everybody loses.

To date only two countries have developed nuclear weapons and then
abandoned them: South Africa and Taiwan.

Best case is that we have warning via SIGINT or HUMINT, or both, that a
nutso regime is planning an attack. We could tell them what we know and
warn them of the dire consequences. If that doesn't produce an
immediate reversal we should not rule out a first strike in such an
instance. A few people, including me, believed that during the Iran
hostage crisis in the 70's we should have detonated a small nuke in a
remote part of Iran and told the Iranians that they had 48 hours to
release the hostages or we would write off the hostages as lost anyway
and burn Iran to the ground. I believe that would have gotten their
attention and they would have complied. In the same way that the
bombing of Japan was really meant as a warning to the Soviet Union, the
nut cases of the world would take a lesson from such an action.

Trying to scare Iran or any islamist with the bomb won't work.
Not with someone who says that unlike the west, who looks to life, WE
look to death. They want their one 72 year old virgin.

Dave:
Old age comes at an inconventient time

HONK if you do everything people tell you to do.
Old January 24th 16, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

These declassified images recall what I think should be our biggest real
concern

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

You not using proper caps are frightening! Were did you hide the real
PeterN?
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
android

In article , PAS wrote:

On 1/22/2016 12:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

These declassified images recall what I think should be our biggest
real concern

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

I thought global warming is supposed to be our biggest concern.

After the the demise of caps on PeterNs keyboard. And me...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Old Geezerr
says...

Trying to scare Iran or any islamist with the bomb won't work.
Not with someone who says that unlike the west, who looks to life, WE
look to death. They want their one 72 year old virgin.

You have some very strange views of Iran. It's not a country of
extremists. I suggest that you travel there and have a look at the
place.
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 24th 16, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
(PeteCresswell)

Per Old Geezerr:
Not with someone who says that unlike the west, who looks to life, WE
look to death. They want their one 72 year old virgin.

After getting nailed by the U.S. Seal team, Osama makes his way to the
pearly gates.

There, he is greeted by George Washington.

"How dare you attack the nation I helped conceive!" yells Mr.
Washington, slapping Osama in the face.

Patrick Henry comes up from behind.

"You wanted to end the Americans' liberty, so they gave you death!"
Henry punches Osama on the nose.

James Madison comes up next, and says "This is why I allowed the Federal
government to provide for the common defense!" He drops a large weight
on Osama's knee.

Osama is subject to similar beatings from John Randolph of Roanoke,
James Monroe, and 65 other people who have the same love for liberty and
America.

As he writhes on the ground, Thomas Jefferson picks him up to hurl him
back toward the gate where he is to be judged.

As Osama awaits his journey to his final very hot destination, he
screams "This is not what I was promised!"

An angel replies "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for
you. What did you think I said?"
Pete Cresswell