HELP ME!!!! I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING CHEMICALS!!!

Old August 24th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

Default HELP ME!!!! I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING CHEMICALS!!!

hi, i'm new to developing, and this is probably a basic question but
pleeeeez answer. i'm developing black and wihte paper from my pinhole
camera, and when i put the chimicals into the tray, do i have to have a
separate tray for the fixer and developer and stop bath? or can i just
pour the stuff out of the tray and fill it back up with the next
chemical?
Pleeez help, thanx

Old August 24th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Draco

Pleeez help, thanx

Max, Max, Max. As noted in a earlier thread
a gent wrote:
For pinhole negatives you need:

o A room you can make completely dark, one with running
water is best
o Photographic paper
o Developer chemical
o Fixer chemical
o Dishes / trays - 2 or 3 large low baking dishes work fine
o Red lamp - a red Christmas tree lamp placed so your
workspace is as dim as you can tolerate and still work

That's it.

o Mix developer and fixer according to directions, pour
each into a dish, if you have a 3rd dish fill it with water
and place it between the developer and fixer dish
o Make the room completely dark and turn on the red light
o Put the paper in the developer solution for 2 minutes
and rock the dish to keep the chemical swirling over the
paper, if you have a dish of water then put the paper in
the water dish for 30 seconds or so
o Pick up the paper and move it to the fixer for 2 minutes,
keeping the dish rocking
o Rinse the paper under the tap and put into a large sink
or tub filled with water, let it sit for 5 minutes,
swirl it around now and then
o Rinse the print again under the tap
o Blot print dry with paper towel and place face up on
a bath towel to air dry

It is very plain that you need to read the
responces before crying for help. The folks here
and on other message groups are willing
to help. Some have taken time to do just that.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old August 24th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

srry, wow.
I read all the threads, but i guess i didnt catch anything about trays.
sorry again for this.
thanks

Old August 25th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Rod Smith

In article .com,
"max" writes:

hi, i'm new to developing, and this is probably a basic question but
pleeeeez answer. i'm developing black and wihte paper from my pinhole
camera, and when i put the chimicals into the tray, do i have to have a
separate tray for the fixer and developer and stop bath? or can i just
pour the stuff out of the tray and fill it back up with the next
chemical?

The usual method is to use multiple trays, one for each chemical. It's
possible, though, to use one tray and to pour chemicals in and out of the
tray instead. Some people prefer this method because it saves space, but
I've never used this method, so I can't give first-hand tips on how to do
it that way.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old August 25th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

max wrote:

... can i just pour the stuff out of the tray and fill it
back up with the next chemical? Pleeez help, thanx

Sure. I've been doing it that way for years. Saves a lot
of space. If you pre-wet the paper before pouring in the
developer you can use very little volume of solution.

I use the chemistry more dilute than usual and give the
paper some more time to develop and fix. The chemistry
then goes down the drain. It's called one-shot processing.
Only one tray is used to process. A second tray is used
to hold. Both trays work alternately for washing. Dan

Old August 25th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Draco

max wrote:
srry, wow.
I read all the threads, but i guess i didnt catch anything about trays.
sorry again for this.
thanks

I see that a few more have spoke to you about
trays. Good. There are a lot of folk who are
willing to help you in your endever.

I have never used a single tray for my
work with pin-hole materials. But I can
see where it would be an advantage.
Using a single tray for both developer
and fixer I would get the exposed material
wet by soaking it in water for at least a minute
before adding the developer. This insures the
material is ready to accept the developing
solution. Pouring off the water and letting it
drip for about ten seconds. I would then pour in the
developer and slowly but constantly agitate or
rock the tray. This insures the chemistry is
well distributed over the sensitized material.
After two minutes drain the developer out
of the tray and allow another ten seconds
of "drip time" before pouring in the fixer.
Agitate the tray as before for at least two
minutes. This stops the development process
and insures the permanence of the image.
Then place in a tub of water and "wash" the
material to remove the fixer. Washing the
print is just a fresh change of water about
every other minute. No soap.
Now you can take you image out into
room light, turn on the lights or what ever.
So you can view the image. This will show
if for the next piece of material you a need
longer/shorter development time. Also
if the picture starts to grow darker in the
light, it means that the time in the fixer
needs to be longer or the fixer a bit stronger.
If you are using developing paper(enlarging
paper) then you will have to "print" the negative
onto another piece of paper. It isn't hard. Just
takes time and can be frustrating. Don't worry,
most of the people here have gone through
what you are now doing.

So take your time, Make some notes as to
what you did, how long was the exposure,
where were you when you took the image and
most of all....HAVE FUN.

Keep us informed on your progress.
Ask questions. Only dumb question is one
not asked. But there can be a lot of
dumb answers.

Old August 25th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Stephane Schmuck

Hello Max,

max wrote:
hi, i'm new to developing, and this is probably a basic question but
pleeeeez answer. i'm developing black and wihte paper from my pinhole
camera, and when i put the chimicals into the tray, do i have to have a
separate tray for the fixer and developer and stop bath? or can i just
pour the stuff out of the tray and fill it back up with the next
chemical?

It depends, if you only need to develop a picture ant once and not each
day a few, then it is ok to use only 1 tray.
But beware of contamination, your developer don't like stop and fix bath
or some residues of it...
As described in my 1st. post, if you use a drum the contamination risk
is not too high if you wash your pictures in the drum for about 5 minutes.

Stéphane.

--
"Living in the earth is expensive but it does
include a free trip around the Sun every year!"
Old August 26th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

hey guys, thanx for the help. once i develop the photos i'll put them
up. also one more question, can i do more than one photo at a time by
like just puting three in the developer at the same time?
thanks