Linhof Technika IV back

Old April 10th 05, 02:51 PM

Default Linhof Technika IV back

I recently purchased an early Technika IV (s/n 63089). I noticed that
with my longest lens (210 mm) the corners of the image were getting
rounded off on the negative. I took a closer look at the camera, and
sure enough, the cutout in the camera back behind which the film sits
has rounded corners. If I put my film holder (I use Fidelity Elite
holders) in the back and look through the front standard at it, I can
see that the rounded corners do indeed impinge on the film image area.
I've never heard of this 'feature' of the Technika camera.

So, my questions. Are these rounded corners on all Technika IV's? The
back on this one looks unmodified, so I assume it's as originally
manufactured. And what do people do about this problem (other than just
accepting it)? It looks like it would be very difficult to file the
rounded corners out without removing the bellows first - and the
bellows appear to be glued on, so I'm reluctant to attempt that.

Thanks - Rob

Old April 10th 05, 03:32 PM
Bob Salomon

In article . com,
wrote:

I recently purchased an early Technika IV (s/n 63089). I noticed that
with my longest lens (210 mm) the corners of the image were getting
rounded off on the negative. I took a closer look at the camera, and
sure enough, the cutout in the camera back behind which the film sits
has rounded corners. If I put my film holder (I use Fidelity Elite
holders) in the back and look through the front standard at it, I can
see that the rounded corners do indeed impinge on the film image area.
I've never heard of this 'feature' of the Technika camera.

This is happens on macro shots with a 210. What you will probably
discover is that if you measure the film area without the notches,
hanger marks, film holder marks, etc. any cut off at regular repro
ranges actually are outside the useable film area.

So, my questions. Are these rounded corners on all Technika IV's?

Yes. Also on current Technikas and all Kardans up to about 10 years ago.
The corners have been cut out on the Kardan backs as the round track has
no use on a Kardan and the tracks were never polished on the Kardan back.
The
back on this one looks unmodified, so I assume it's as originally
manufactured. And what do people do about this problem (other than just
accepting it)? It looks like it would be very difficult to file the
rounded corners out without removing the bellows first - and the
bellows appear to be glued on, so I'm reluctant to attempt that.

That round track is the rotating back feature on the Technika. Since it
appears outside the useable film area, unless you are doing a macro shot
with a 210mm you can just ignore it. If it bothers you with the macro
shot then you have to have a service center file out the corners and
then you would no longer have a revolving back and will greatly reduce
the value of the camera.

You might pick-up a second back to remove the corners and switch backs
if it is a problem. You can do that by pulling out the 4 corner tabs
that hold the back in place on the camera.
Thanks - Rob

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old April 10th 05, 03:59 PM
jjs

wrote in message
ups.com...

I recently purchased an early Technika IV (s/n 63089) [...]

I'm sure Bob Solomon (HP Marketing) can help with the serial numbers and
age.

I noticed that
with my longest lens (210 mm) the corners of the image were getting
rounded off on the negative.

Which 210mm lens? How much rounding (vignetting)?

So, my questions. Are these rounded corners on all Technika IV's? The
back on this one looks unmodified, so I assume it's as originally
manufactured. And what do people do about this problem (other than just
accepting it)? It looks like it would be very difficult to file the
rounded corners out without removing the bellows first -

I'm baffled by your observations. The 'roundness' seen from the film side is
due to the rotating back track. If you remove those corners it won't obviate
vignetting, but it will destroy the back. Regardless, the exposed area of
the film in the holder is not effected.

and the
bellows appear to be glued on, so I'm reluctant to attempt that.

Don't go there.

Old April 10th 05, 10:40 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful - much appreciated!