Lens adapter to put Canon lens on Nikon D70 ?

Old August 18th 04, 08:30 PM
bob

Default Lens adapter to put Canon lens on Nikon D70 ?

As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
Thanks for any advice...

Bob
Old August 18th 04, 09:34 PM
Dave Herzstein

bob wrote:

As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

No

If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed

I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
Thanks for any advice...

Bob

Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

-Dave

Old August 18th 04, 10:36 PM
Chuck McDevitt

"bob" wrote in message
om...
As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
Thanks for any advice...

Bob

The Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens is only around $160.

If you can afford a D70, you can spring for that.

Old August 18th 04, 11:53 PM
Hunt

In article , says...

bob wrote:

[...]

If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways. They never seemed to be around very long,
however, for the reasons that you stated. Marty Fourcher [SP?] did some
conversions, first from Nikon lenses Canon, then Canon lenses Nikon, as
Canon took the forefront in optics. I do not know if he is still in business,
but doubt that his company would even think about doing such now, with AF
servo connections, as well as many other electronic circuits. I can't believe
that one could be manufactured for less than the cost of a corresponding body.

Hunt

Old August 19th 04, 12:41 AM
RSD99

"Hunt" posted:
"...
If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways.
...."

Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no auto
exposure.

IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional Camera Repair"
in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications over the
years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series cameras, adapters
for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

A search on
Marty Forscher Camera Repair
will get you quite a few hits.

"Hunt" wrote in message ...
In article , says...

Old August 19th 04, 12:41 AM
RSD99

"Hunt" posted:
"...
If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways.
...."

Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no auto
exposure.

IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional Camera Repair"
in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications over the
years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series cameras, adapters
for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

A search on
Marty Forscher Camera Repair
will get you quite a few hits.

"Hunt" wrote in message ...
In article , says...

Old August 19th 04, 02:53 AM
Mark B.

"bob" wrote in message
om...
As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.

So is going digital supposed to make you shoot well? That's not how it
works. Anyway, ProMaster lenes are very low-end consumer lenses made by
Sigma. I wouldn't go to too much trouble to adapt it to another mount. Why
not go with the Canon 300D? Even 10D prices have started to drop, and that
was before the 20D was leaked.

Mark