Nikon Picture Project illegal operation error

Old January 25th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon Picture Project illegal operation error

Just installed Nikon Picture Project version 1.6.1 on Windows 98 SE.
It worked the first time I opened it but the next time I tried I got an
illegal operation notice. The details say that a fault occurred in
module MFC71.dll. I uninstalled and reinsatlled the program but same
error. I contacted Nikon and they had me run a utility regedit when I
uninsatlled. I reinsatlled and same error. Nikon says it's a Windows
problem. Any suggestions?

Old January 25th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

GTO wrote:
Can you upgrade to Windows XP Home edition? Windows 98 SE is getting slowly
outdated.

Gregor

Agreed.
Some other points are that if the machine is too slow / lacking RAM to
run XP well, then it's going to be a slow and frustrating to do any
serious photo editing with images more than a couple of mp in size.
Picture Project is not a very good (IMO) program. Very slow, cumbersome
RAW converter, and lacking any advanced options for dealing with either
RAW files or jpegs. Raw Shooter Essentials and Gimp 2 (for Windows) is
a pretty satisfactory free solution - although a bit of a learning curve
is required to master both.