[OT?] How to get good prints from 2MP images

Old July 7th 05, 05:59 PM
-=_ Antani _=-

Default [OT?] How to get good prints from 2MP images

Hi all,

hope not to be too OT. In case, please point me to the right group and sorry
for the inconvenience.

During my vacation in NY, I had my compact flash card backed up by a Duane
Reade shop.

It happened that they resized all of my images from 2560x1920 to 1536x1152,
although I asked explicitly for a simple backup and not for any editing.
Really smart.

Now the question: the images are below 2MP in size, but at least they hold a
lot of information because are around 2MB in size each. The original images
were almost of the same size. What would you recommend to get best possible
large prints in, say, 12x10 or 16x12? Directly asking for printing in that
size, or making the images of higher resolution by interpolation? In this
latter case can you suggest a good shareware software for upsampling?

Thanks for any help

Old July 17th 05, 12:24 AM
Alan Meyer

-=_ Antani _=- wrote:
[...]

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've heard that
the fractal based software upsamplers do the best job.

Plain old printing without upsampling may be minimally acceptable
to you if either or both of the following conditions are met:

1. The images do not contain small detail.

2. You intend to mount the images in a place where they will be
seen from a distance.

As an example of the second point, a typical color television
image is way less than 2 MP. Admittedly it's moving - which
makes a huge difference. But you get the idea.

Alan
Old July 18th 05, 10:40 PM
Charles Schuler

Here is an older one of mine taken with a now defunct Olympus 2.1 MP camera.

http://i.pbase.com/v3/20/576620/1/46394890.PGH.jpg

I have printed this 8 x 12 and it looks stunning.