Canon AE-1 Program Lens Stuck

Old June 17th 17, 05:09 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

Default Canon AE-1 Program Lens Stuck

I know these aren't the most active of newsgroups, but perhaps
worth a try...

About a year (or was that two...) ago, my Korean made "Kalimar"
zoom lens became stuck on my Canon AE-1 Program. It had always
been difficult to get on (not off) since I bought it second-hand
a few years earlier. This last time though, upon removal I was
only able to rotate the lens ring some of the way before it became
stuck in a loose state where it wouldn't rotate back to the
"locked-in" position, or allow the lens to be removed.

So far I've tried undoing a few of the screws on the lens around the
comera end, but they didn't offer any improved access, and in final
desperation I tried brute force applied from various angles, but no
change resulted (except for an unfortunate dent). I had a look
through two service manuals on the web for the AE-1 Program, but
they didn't inspire any further ideas.

Luckily I had another AE-1 (non-program) which I've switched now
instead. But it's a frustrating way to loose a camera, so any
suggestions on how to bring the "Program" off the shelf and back
into service would be appreciated.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old June 17th 17, 11:17 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

On 17/06/2017 2:09 @wiz, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
[...]

Are you in Sydney, Australia?
If so, take the lot to Camera Service Centre in the CBD,
here is their website and location/phone:

http://www.cameraservicecentre.com.au/

Over the last 10 years they have been second to none in fixing all my
lenses and cameras, at a very good price and superb quality of work.
Old June 17th 17, 03:37 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dennis Boone

So far I've tried undoing a few of the screws on the lens around the
comera end, but they didn't offer any improved access, and in final
desperation I tried brute force applied from various angles, but no
change resulted (except for an unfortunate dent). I had a look
through two service manuals on the web for the AE-1 Program, but
they didn't inspire any further ideas.

I'm not familiar with the lens, but if the relevant screws are set
screws holding the outer ring to some moving part, _tightening_
may be the direction to go.

De
Old June 18th 17, 04:20 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

In aus.photo Dennis Boone wrote:
So far I've tried undoing a few of the screws on the lens around the
comera end, but they didn't offer any improved access, and in final
desperation I tried brute force applied from various angles, but no
change resulted (except for an unfortunate dent). I had a look
through two service manuals on the web for the AE-1 Program, but
they didn't inspire any further ideas.

I'm not familiar with the lens, but if the relevant screws are set
screws holding the outer ring to some moving part, _tightening_
may be the direction to go.

Thanks, but the whole lens body turns with the ring on this lens.
Wikipedia informs me that this is the "New FD" mount, but should
still work with the AE-1 (as it did before it got stuck). I just
had a check of the screws anyway, but they seem in well enough.

I never found an exact match for this lens online, but doing a
wider search now it seems that it was sold under a range of
different brand names, with range of different mounts:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...auto-zoom.html
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3412.html
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database...8mm-f-4-4-5-22

Perhaps that explains why the KD mount design might not have
been as refined as one would hope.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old June 18th 17, 04:30 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

In aus.photo Noons wrote:
Are you in Sydney, Australia?
If so, take the lot to Camera Service Centre in the CBD,
here is their website and location/phone:

http://www.cameraservicecentre.com.au/

Over the last 10 years they have been second to none in fixing all my
lenses and cameras, at a very good price and superb quality of work.

Thanks, but I'm in country Victoria and I don't think there
would be any places nearby who would still handle film cameras.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old June 28th 17, 12:27 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

In aus.photo Don McC wrote:
Thanks, but the whole lens body turns with the ring on this lens.
Wikipedia informs me that this is the "New FD" mount, but should
still work with the AE-1 (as it did before it got stuck).

I realize I'm a little late with this reply, but sometimes the simple
answer is the correct one. The new FD lens differs from the old
lens in that the new FD has a button on the lens ring that must
be depressed to remove the lens. You probably know this,
but still...

Thanks. I do have a Canon lens with such a button, but this one
is without one. The only button is one on the appature ring
which has to be pressed before moving the appature control
to automatic mode. In case I'm loosing it I just gave it a try,
but it doesn't help.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old July 2nd 17, 02:06 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

In aus.photo Don McC wrote:
"Computer Nerd Kev" wrote in message
news
I know these aren't the most active of newsgroups, but perhaps
worth a try...

About a year (or was that two...) ago, my Korean made "Kalimar"
zoom lens became stuck on my Canon AE-1 Program.

Someone on these more active Canon FD boards may have an answer
or a suggestion. Try posting your query on each of the following
Web based Canon FD groups:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/forums/canon-fd.1546/

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...-fd-group.132/

Thanks, I've spent a while in the past searching around web forums
for similar problems reported in old threads. I don't like joining
and checking web forums though, and in this case my motivation stops
short of doing so.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old July 2nd 17, 02:54 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Computer Nerd Kev

In aus.photo Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
In aus.photo Don McC wrote:
Thanks, but the whole lens body turns with the ring on this lens.
Wikipedia informs me that this is the "New FD" mount, but should
still work with the AE-1 (as it did before it got stuck).

I realize I'm a little late with this reply, but sometimes the simple
answer is the correct one. The new FD lens differs from the old
lens in that the new FD has a button on the lens ring that must
be depressed to remove the lens. You probably know this,
but still...

Thanks. I do have a Canon lens with such a button, but this one
is without one. The only button is one on the appature ring
which has to be pressed before moving the appature control

Oh dear, I can't spell aperture it seems...

to automatic mode. In case I'm loosing it I just gave it a try,
but it doesn't help.

Actually, after working it a bit, the lens ring does rotate about
1mm against the lens body (the entine lens body rotating about
10mm on the camera's lens mount). The degree of rotation that the
ring has seems unaffected by the romoval of the (previously
tightened) screw that goes into it on the outside.

Perhaps I didn't mount it by turning the whole lens as I remember,
or perhaps the ring was jammed and turning the whole lens to mount
it was the fatal mistake, or maybe the ring is meant to be fixed
in place and is just a little loose.

Actually, if I turn the lens leftwards on the mount and set the
aperture to the maximum f stop (F22, it won't move over to the auto
position), it won't rotate back near as far to the right. If I push
it, the aperture ring stays stationary and changes setting as the
lens rotates (which sets it to about F8). So it seems that the
aperture lever that connects with the camera is caught somewhere.

I'll have a closer look when I have more time.

--
__ __