Taking photos of a computer screen

Old October 16th 10, 07:18 PM
rcurryastro rcurryastro is offline
Junior Member

Default Taking photos of a computer screen

Greetings to the group from a new member. I am hoping someone has experience with this or some good advice.

I am a stereographic photography and use a vintage TDC Colorist II camera. It has no metering system or split field focus. Aperture, distance, and shutter speed must all be manually set. For this reason I have been shooting color negative film (since it has more latitude), getting the film processed at a 60 minute lab (developed only, not printed, no cut negatives), then scanning in the images using a Plustek film scanner.

While I am happy with the results, I would really like to make some slides from my images so that I can mount them in Realist format mounts. 3D slides are more pleasing (to me, at least) than prints or computer images.

Has anyone attempted to shoot slides of a computer monitor screen? Are there any hardware devices to do this? Does color slide film render the colors accurately (outdoor balanced film)? Thanks in advance.

Roger in Jacksonville, FL
Old October 18th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc
K W Hart

"rcurryastro" wrote in message

[...]

There are a couple issues: is the computer monitor a conventional CRT (big
box, about as deep as wide and high), or a flat-screent type? CRT images are
"painted" on the screen line-by-line. If the shutter speed is too fast, the
trace lines will show up. A shutter speed of 1/30 second or longer usually
will work.

If you are happy with the results from color neg film, color slide film will
do the same, allowing for any difference in ISO speed of the film. Slide
film doesn't have the exposure latitude of neg film, so exposure and color
balance will be more critical.

There are service companies that can make slides from your computer image
files. Or you could purchase a device to create the slides (or negs)
yourself. Such device receives a video signal from your computer and has a
to record the image. You would probably have to shoot a fair amount of
screen images to make this worthwhile (or get a bargain on eBay!).

Old October 24th 10, 03:29 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurryastro View Post
Has anyone attempted to shoot slides of a computer monitor screen? Are there any hardware devices to do this? Does color slide film render the colors accurately (outdoor balanced film)? Thanks in advance.
A couple of decades or more ago there was a (35mm) device which attached close to the front of the screen to take pictures of screened images, such as those used in Powerpoint presentations. I think it was a film camera (pre-digital?) but I never had anything directly to do with it. Neither do I know if additional filters were needed.

Last edited by Harold Gough : October 24th 10 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Space missing
Old October 13th 12, 02:22 PM
Abigail1 Abigail1 is offline
Junior Member

Hi all,
Press "alt" and "prt scr", then open up paint and press "ctrl" and "v". It should show up then.
Old September 12th 19, 04:57 PM
LauraWilliams LauraWilliams is offline
Junior Member

Location: NY