How to get the wife to agree to a 2K printer?

Old March 16th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

Default How to get the wife to agree to a 2K printer?

On Mar 16, 10:49 am, Marvin wrote:
DeanB wrote:
Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

Epson has other printers that use the same inks and paper,
and make very nice prints that last as well as photographic
prints. Ditto for HP.

And back up your HD. You can copy files to CDs or DVDs.
External HDs are quite cheap now. I got a 160 GB external
HD recently for $50 after rebates, and I've seen it
advertised elsewhere for $59. It is being used to backup
our two computers.

Marvin - I'm a software developer. Hence I KNOW that every 10 years
I've going to have to change media format at the minimum, and for hard
drives probably once every 5 years. While I might do that, I actually
doubt if my kids will continue the tradition.

And to be honest, I prefer looking through a large traditional album
and seeing 12 pics at a time, over scanning a monitor one pic at a
time.

Old March 16th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

On Mar 16, 10:49 am, "Scott W" wrote:
On Mar 16, 3:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:

Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

There are places that will make 20x30 inch prints for $10 each, on
photographic paper
which I have not had any problem with fading yet. Just for the cost
of the printer
you could get 181 of this size print. When you look at the cost of
ink it will likely
cost you close to $10 to produce an 20x30 print in any event. Just a
thought as
to another way to go.

Scott

Scott- would I rather buy 180 prints, or an Epson 4800 (and from then
on another 10000 prints)? Well that's an easy choice for me.

Its not the point anyway, I want to run off test prints, make
adjustments, until I get the perfect prints, I can't do that with an
online system. And I know that if I have to pay for prints one at a
time, I simply will leave them on the computer. I'm cheap in that way.

Old March 16th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Mar 16, 9:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:
Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

I've go the Canon iPF5000 at home (uses less ink use than the 4800)
and an HP B9180 at work. Space is an issue, as I still have an Epson
9000 in the house. Both printers are great, if you don't need
16x20(24) the B9180 is the printer for you. Neither of these printers
have black change issues either.
As for getting a $10 20x30, do you really trust a printer who does
their work for peanuts. A lot of these prinbts I have seen have
basicly been terrible. Newer IJ printers work well right out of the
box and as a previous poster said 100+ years longevity. Just remember
to use Photoshop to manage the colors, and pay attention to using the
correct profile.

Tom

Old March 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 16 Mar 2007 08:20:40 -0700, "DeanB" wrote:

On Mar 16, 9:18 am, "Mick Harris" wrote:
"DeanB" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 16, 8:29 am, Bob Willard
wrote:
DeanB wrote:
Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

What makes you believe that color prints, even on photo paper, will last
a lifetime without fading?
--
Cheers, Bob

Because Epson says they have pigment dyes that are rated 100+ years
open to light behind glass.

Tell her the printer you have, just doesn't do her beauty justice, and
although it would be near impossible to improve on her stunning good looks,
the Epson 4800 would allow perfection to be printed perfectly, and like your
love for her, the prints would stand the test of time.
Or some BS along those lines ;-)
ATB
Mick- Hide quoted text -

Darn you are good Mick! I have adjusted that paragraph slightly, and
emailed it to her. Updates soon....

You *EMAILED*it to her??!!
You just blew it.

--
Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Peter
Pace said Monday he thinks
Old March 16th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

It's for an anniversary present that you're going to make for her.

But don't give her any more details than that. She'll start asking
questions about what you're secretly going to make, and if you listen to
the questions you'll figure out what she'd actually like you to make.
Or maybe not. If not, a photo-montage of your engagement and wedding
and honeymoon photos, all the ones that make her look best, and a few
that remind her what you used to look like too ;-)

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old March 16th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Mar 16, 8:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:
Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

Ahhh, so many ways to answer this one.

I would start with: you don't need a printer, you need a marriage
counselor !!!

Maybe you could say to her, "honey I respect your opinion dearly and I
love you tremendously; but I love the printer more".

You could also say to her, "it was either you or the printer ... and I
chose the printer" because it's still look good in 20 years.

Okay, seriously. Remember that it is often easier to apologize
afterwards than ask permission beforehand. So go order the printer.
Then order roses. A dozen roses per day for a month or so should
smooth things over.

Old March 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Pat wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:

[...]

Especially if each dozen includes some trinket comprised of a combination of
diamonds and gold.
Old March 16th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay B

On Mar 16, 6:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:
Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

You could just take your balls out of your purse and go buy one.

;O)

Jay B

Old March 16th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

On Mar 16, 2:01 pm, "Jay B" wrote:
On Mar 16, 6:26 am, "DeanB" wrote:

Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

You could just take your balls out of your purse and go buy one.

;O)

Jay B

(This is not going to be subtle so if you're easily offended, please
skip onto next message.)

Jay - One more thing to consider also is timing in 'the month'. I'd
rather put my balls between the jaws of a rabid doberman than go tell
the wife I bought the printer, on her 'special' day!