Camera correcting lens distortions?

Old July 7th 04, 03:31 AM
Mark B.

Default Camera correcting lens distortions?

"Matthias Heiler" wrote in message
Hi group,

Is there a camera that electronically corrects geometrical lens
distortions (esp. Barrel)? For the fixed-lens digital cameras out
there this should be not hard to implement. It also would
manufacturers allow to use cheaper/lighter glass on their consumer
products and still get decent image quality.

On a similar note, does anybody know a decent lens-distortion
correction software for Linux? It should be able to work on many
images automatically, without manual intervention.

Thanks,

Matthias

There may be software to correct lens imperfections:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04...oopticspro.asp

Mark

Old July 7th 04, 09:01 AM
David J Taylor

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message
[]
Not exactly in camera yet, but looks interesting:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...oopticspro.asp

Bart

Thanks for that pointer - they don't seem to include my Nikon 5700 as yet.
What an awful Web site, though! New windows seem to open for every link
clicked. It puts me right off!

Cheers,
David

Old July 7th 04, 09:04 AM
Matthias

Mxsmanic writes:

It would be cheaper to just build a better lens.

Historically, prices for computer chips have declined _much_ faster
than prices for lenses.

In addition, once you have electronic Barrel correction your design
space for lenses will change: You might be willing to trade slightly
higher Barrel (which can be calculated away) for more sharpness or
less CA (which is harder to correct ex post) or less weight.
Old July 7th 04, 12:13 PM
Zol.

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:01:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Thanks for that pointer - they don't seem to include my Nikon 5700 as yet.
What an awful Web site, though! New windows seem to open for every link
clicked. It puts me right off!

Only support appears to be for dslrs, so I wouldn't hold hope for us lowly
P&S users.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

I missed the1st parts of this conversation but there is a plugin for photoshop that can
correct some lens error - http://www.richardrosenman.com/ under the software section.

I don`t know if thatr`s what you are looking for but it may help after taking the images.

Zol..

Old July 7th 04, 12:34 PM
Jose Marques

wrote:

Thanks for that pointer - they don't seem to include my Nikon 5700 as yet.
What an awful Web site, though! New windows seem to open for every link
clicked. It puts me right off!

Only support appears to be for dslrs, so I wouldn't hold hope for us lowly
P&S users.

Kekus Digital's LensFix plugin supports the 5700.

http://www.kekus.com/plugin/index.html

and

http://www.kekus.com/plugin/lensfix_cameras.html

--
Jose Marques

Old July 7th 04, 12:36 PM
David J Taylor

wrote:

Thanks for that pointer - they don't seem to include my Nikon 5700 as

yet.
What an awful Web site, though! New windows seem to open for every

link
clicked. It puts me right off!

Only support appears to be for dslrs, so I wouldn't hold hope for us

lowly
P&S users.

Probably a bit too complex for their program to work out! Or they reckon
those with expensive cameras have the money to purchase their software!

Cheers,
David

Old July 7th 04, 12:39 PM
David J Taylor

"Zol." wrote in message
.. .
[]
I missed the1st parts of this conversation but there is a plugin for

photoshop that can correct some lens error -
http://www.richardrosenman.com/ under the software section.

I don`t know if thatr`s what you are looking for but it may help after

taking the images.

Zol..

Zol, such correction is built into Paint Shop Pro, and requires no
plus-ins.

We were discussing the possibility of doing the correction in-camera, so
that lenses could perhaps be made cheaper, smaller or less complex. The
hardware-software trade-off. One stand-alone program designed for a
limited range of DSLRs was pointed out as an example.

Cheers,
David

Old July 7th 04, 12:44 PM
Zol.

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
news
"Zol." wrote in message
.. .
[]
I missed the1st parts of this conversation but there is a plugin for

photoshop that can correct some lens error -
http://www.richardrosenman.com/ under the software section.

I don`t know if thatr`s what you are looking for but it may help after

taking the images.

Zol..

Zol, such correction is built into Paint Shop Pro, and requires no
plus-ins.

We were discussing the possibility of doing the correction in-camera, so
that lenses could perhaps be made cheaper, smaller or less complex. The
hardware-software trade-off. One stand-alone program designed for a
limited range of DSLRs was pointed out as an example.

Cheers,
David

Ah thanks, I don`t see why it can`t be added in the future to cameras own processing or it
could just be calibrated at factory for ranges of lenses.

regards, Zol.