Is there a delay when you take a shot?

Old July 4th 04, 02:54 PM
Nusat

Default Is there a delay when you take a shot?

Hi there,

I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

Cheers.

Old July 4th 04, 03:06 PM
Skip M

"Nusat" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

between
the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

Cheers.

That depends on the camera. Digital SLRs and some viewfinder/p&s models
(Kyocera springs to mind) have nearly instantaneous shutter responses,
others seem glacial by comparison.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 4th 04, 03:22 PM
Nusat

That depends on the camera. Digital SLRs and some viewfinder/p&s models
(Kyocera springs to mind) have nearly instantaneous shutter responses,
others seem glacial by comparison.

I am interested in compact cameras (from Canon, Fuji, Olympus, ...), so they
suffer from shot delay?

Cheers.

Old July 4th 04, 04:05 PM
David J Taylor

"Nusat" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

between
the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

Cheers.

It is true for any camera, not just digital. There can be more delay in
some digital cameras, particularly the older non-DLSR models. In many
cameras, the problem can be alleviated by pressing the shuuter release
half-way to measure focus and exposure, and then pressing all the way to
take the actual picture at the critical moment.

Cheers,
David

Old July 4th 04, 04:14 PM
KILOWATT

Try to find the specs. for the camera in question. The "click to capture
delay" is what your interested in. I have a DX-6490 from Kodak...and on the
website, it's specified as .65 sec. but i would say that mine is faster
than that... .2~.3 sec...

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old July 4th 04, 04:17 PM
KILOWATT

As an additional comment... a friend bought a Pentax optio 430rs and this
delay was a long 1.5 second! This delay seems to be minimized as digicam
technology evolve.

Old July 4th 04, 04:25 PM
Martin Francis

"Nusat" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

between
the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

Cheers.

*My* camera doesn't, but then I specifically shopped for one that didn't- I
understand pretty much all compacts do, although some brands (IIRC Ricoh,
Kyocera) advertise models with very little delay. If I switch off autofocus,
my Olympus E10 (discontinued) has virtually no delay at all.

no, and yes...."

Old July 4th 04, 06:30 PM
Amir

I think that it's called shutter lag--"the delay from pressing the shutter
button until a picture is actually captured (steves-digicams.com)". That was
one of my main concerns when I owned a Canon G2. The shutter lag on that one
was sometimes too long ranging from 2 seconds all the way to even 8
seconds!!! My experience with the new-generation compact cameras such as
Canon S500 and Sony DSC-P100 has been absolutely different! These two
cameras (along with many others out there) have shutter lags way under one
seconds (some close to 1/10 of a second). I can go on and on about this, but
a great place to start doing research and learning more about different
features of digital cameras is www.steves-digicams.com. That's where I go
every time I am buying a new digicam. It has never let me down. Of course, I
always spend some time here in this newsgroup first.

Peace.

Old July 4th 04, 06:31 PM
dylan

Hang on a second.......

Yes, on most compacts.

Old July 4th 04, 07:01 PM
G.T.

Nusat wrote:

Hi there,

I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

My DSLR Digital Rebel is fast enough that I don't have to worry about
it. My A70 P&S is pretty slow, though, which is kind of a drag since I
bought it to carry in my pocket to shoot action shots while mtn biking.

Greg

--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late