P&S recommendations

Old April 20th 05, 10:11 PM
JohnT

Default P&S recommendations

Tired of hauling my big SLR around at times, so I'd like to get a nice
little P&S film camera to just slide in my pocket. Something like a 28-80 or
so on the zoom. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I would like to have a digital with similar specs, where
shots would not be enlarged beyond 5x7 or so.

Thanks!

Old April 20th 05, 10:17 PM
UncaMikey

It's not a zoom, but the Olympus Stylus Epic is an incredible little
camera. I am sure mine will be only one of many recommendations. It's
very small and handy and weatherproof, and a very sharp lens (35mm,
f2.8). Pretty cheap, too.

Old April 21st 05, 01:32 AM
Bill Tuthill

JohnT wrote:
Tired of hauling my big SLR around at times, so I'd like to get a nice
little P&S film camera to just slide in my pocket. Something like a 28-80 or
so on the zoom. Any thoughts?

With the demise of the Minolta FZE/Riva 28-75 and Konica Lexio 28-70,
the Yashica T4*Zoom might be your best best. I don't know if you'll
be able to get it serviced however, now that Kyocera has given up
the camera business. Olympus makes a Stylus Wide 28-100 but it's a
slow f/11.9 at the long end, yikes! It's probably not worth paying
extra for the Leica C2 or C3.

Old April 21st 05, 01:17 PM
Bandicoot

"Roger" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:11:42 -0700, "JohnT"
wrote:

Tired of hauling my big SLR around at times, so I'd like to get a
nice little P&S film camera to just slide in my pocket. Something
like a 28-80 or so on the zoom. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I would like to have a digital with similar specs, where

shots would not be enlarged beyond 5x7 or so.

Thanks!

The Olympus Stylus Epic with 35mm f2.8 non-zoom lens is an
excellent camera. The Contax T3 with similar lens is also but at a
much higher price point and much more controllability. I've used both

for primary and backup camera in lieu of a SLR when I had to pare
down.

[SNIP]

The Epic and T3 are so good that I've never considered a film P&S
with a zoom. There are not many pictures I've take that could have
been improved dramatically at the 4x6 / 5x7 level with a zoom.
These cameras do, however, fit my style of photography - friends,
family, events, travel, street. The same could not be said for making
African Safari Brochures.

If you go this route and decide you can do without a zoom - which I think is
good advice - you should also look at the Ricoh GR series. Sadly no longer
in production, but findable on that auction site. The GR1 (of which the
GR1v is the latest, most controllable model) has a truly superb 28mm f2.8,
and is a great camera: my normal 'pocket' camera when I have nothing else
with me. The GR10 is considerably cheaper with less control, but the same
excellent lens. There's also a GR21 with 21mm lens and price to match (but
it is excellent) and some cheaper options, including the R1 wiht a 30mm
lens, which I do like as a cheap but quite good back up camera.

Peter

Old April 21st 05, 10:55 PM
Norm Fleming

"UncaMikey" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's not a zoom, but the Olympus Stylus Epic is an incredible little
camera. I am sure mine will be only one of many recommendations. It's
very small and handy and weatherproof, and a very sharp lens (35mm,
f2.8). Pretty cheap, too.

Yes the Epic is a great little performer, especially if you make use of the
spot metering and forget the flash mode.

But you might also consider one of the classic Japanese rangefinders from
the 1970s, which have great (non zoom) lenses and are no bigger than many
P+Ss , but give you full manual control to be as creative as you like, are
perhaps more fun to use, built like tanks, and usually not
battery-dependent e.g. Olympus RC (probably the smallest and my own
favourite) or the slightly larger Canon equivalents.

Old April 22nd 05, 12:59 AM
UncaMikey

Norm Fleming wrote:
But you might also consider one of the classic Japanese rangefinders

from
the 1970s...

I would love to have a rangefinder again, and the Olympus RC looks
great -- but it has the mercury battery problem, and you have to worry
about the seals and such on the older cameras. I've never been able to
justify getting one, since my Pentax ist with a FA 50mm f1.7 is about
the same size (or smaller and lighter) than one of those rangefinders.
It fits handily into a larger coat pocket.

I also think that the newer plastic cameras are tougher than we
realize. I had a Spotmatic for 30+ years, and yes, it was very sturdy
and heavy and metal, but it was easily scratched and banged up. The
new plastics they use are pretty impressive -- I've banged the Pentax
ist around, carried it on several trips, and it doesn't have a mark on
it. And I love the lighter weight.

*UncaMikey