leica leica

Old January 19th 05, 05:24 PM
paresh_pandit

Default leica leica

hi

i own Leica R3...
thinking of getting rid of it and getting a Leicaflex SL instead...
is this wise ?!...
seeking your opinion/help...
thanks
regards

Paresh Pandit
Mumbai, IN

Old January 19th 05, 06:20 PM

Maybe. I prefer the all-manual Leicaflex SL2 to the R3.

Old January 20th 05, 03:58 PM
Peter Ingen Housz

Just to position myself: I own a R3, R4 and M3 and M6TTL. In 99% of the time
nowadays I use the M-cameras because they fit my style of photography best.
On the other hand I have used my R3 extensively. I took it up in the Alps
above 4000m and used in in the humid of the Carribean.It always worked
flawlessly and in my opinion it is on the whole a very underrated camera. It
is sturdy, has a beautifull viewscreen, and a very nice lightmeter system
with both integral and selective metering. Not to mention the aperture
priority automatic exposure. The only problem i can think of is when your
batteries stop. Then it has only 1 mechanical time of 1/100 sec.In use it is
way better than the Leicaflex, although the latter starts te get something
of a cult status but that has nothing to do with the photographic practice.
It is not for nothing that Leica replaced the Leicaflex with the in those
days (1976) much more modern R3. I would stick to the R3 with open lens
metering and the use of the modern Leitz lenses.

Peter
"paresh_pandit" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old January 20th 05, 08:42 PM
Andy Evans

Left field solution - get a Canon EF-M with split screen metering, and an
adapter from Fotodiox and put your R lenses on the Canon body. You're ready for
a digital body whenever you want it, and you get to keep all those lovely Leica
lenses..

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Old January 21st 05, 01:02 AM

"In use it is way better than the Leicaflex, although the latter starts
te get something
of a cult status but that has nothing to do with the photographic
practice.
It is not for nothing that Leica replaced the Leicaflex with the in
those
days (1976) much more modern R3. I would stick to the R3 with open lens
metering and the use of the modern Leitz lenses."

What utter bull****. The SL2 was very expensive to manufacture and
offered no facility for auto-exposure, which Leitz at the time thought
was important. They chose to adapt a Minolta-made body to save money on
development costs, to avoid reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

The SL2 is a far-better handling camera than the R3, and I don't need
or want auto-exposure. The SL2 is about the most perfect SLR ever made.

Old January 25th 05, 11:10 PM
Art

They are pretty cheap on ebay these days.
"paresh_pandit" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi

i own Leica R3...
thinking of getting rid of it and getting a Leicaflex SL instead...
is this wise ?!...
seeking your opinion/help...
thanks
regards

Paresh Pandit
Mumbai, IN

Leica Digital-Module-R DALLAS 35mm Photo Equipment 17 November 25th 04 12:27 AM
Leica questions ColynG© 35mm Photo Equipment 3 November 23rd 04 12:57 PM
Leica R-series DALLAS 35mm Photo Equipment 24 November 12th 04 05:42 PM
Leica R4 Dallas 35mm Photo Equipment 66 October 22nd 04 02:02 AM
Leica 10MP Digital Back for R8, R9 TP 35mm Photo Equipment 4 June 24th 04 07:30 AM