Canon EOS EF-S Lenses

Old November 16th 04, 03:51 AM
Israel Rodriguez

"YAG-ART" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:19:47 GMT, "Israel Rodriguez"
wrote:

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest digital
cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those lenses won't
work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

They also don't work on the 1D series pro cameras.

I can see that as the cameras ahve different sensor sizes but I don't
understand why they wouldn't work on other Canon digital cameras that have
the same sensor size such as the 30D or the D60.

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk

Old November 16th 04, 04:12 AM
Israel Rodriguez

"Georg E." wrote in message
Professionelle Spracherkennung gibt es bei www.linguaconsult.de

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest digital
cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those lenses won't
work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

--

Israel Rodriguez

Yes, you are correct. There are however various modification instructions
for these lenses (e.g.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html).

Georg
_________

This is some bull**** that Canon is pulling.
They could have designed the lens so that it fit older digital cameras (aka
30D and 10D)but choose not to in order to "encourage" people to buy new
digital cameras

Old November 16th 04, 04:48 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

"Israel Rodriguez" wrote:

"Georg E." wrote in message
Professionelle Spracherkennung gibt es bei www.linguaconsult.de

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest digital
cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those lenses won't
work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

--

Israel Rodriguez

Yes, you are correct. There are however various modification instructions
for these lenses (e.g.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html).

Georg
_________

This is some bull**** that Canon is pulling.
They could have designed the lens so that it fit older digital cameras (aka
30D and 10D)but choose not to in order to "encourage" people to buy new
digital cameras

It's not that way. The 10D has room for EF-S lenses but the EF-S mount
wasn't invented yet. You can cut the safety ring off an EF-S lens so it
fits EOS mounts. It will then mount on any EOS camera but only the 10D
can use it without the mirror colliding.

The bull**** is that Canon is charging extra high prices for new EF-S
lenses. It's more money for less glass.

Old November 16th 04, 05:26 AM
Skip M

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message

The bull**** is that Canon is charging extra high prices for new EF-S
lenses. It's more money for less glass.

How so? The 17-85 IS is only slightly higher than the 28-135 IS, to be
expected, because the 28-135 has probably amortized its costs, the 10-22 has
no EF mount equivalent, and has a fluorite element, much like many of the
"L" lenses, and no non "L", so it costs a lot less than the 16-35L and about
the same as the 17-40L and the 18-55 sets you back a whole $100 over the
price of a body only...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 16th 04, 05:27 AM
Skip M

"Israel Rodriguez" wrote in message
.net...

wrote:

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest digital
cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those lenses won't
work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

They also don't work on the 1D series pro cameras.

I can see that as the cameras ahve different sensor sizes but I don't
understand why they wouldn't work on other Canon digital cameras that have
the same sensor size such as the 30D or the D60.

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk

The mirrors are larger, so may impact the rear of the EF-S lens when they
swing upward.