Canon EOS EF-S Lenses

Old November 15th 04, 06:19 AM
Israel Rodriguez

Default Canon EOS EF-S Lenses

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest digital
cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those lenses won't
work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk

Old November 15th 04, 06:39 AM
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen

"Israel Rodriguez" wrote in
nk.net:

Am I correct about the new EF-S series working only on the newest
digital cameras such as the Digital Rebal and the D20 and that those
lenses won't work on the earlier models such as the 30D?

That's entirely correct. The EF-S lenses will first and foremost project an
image onto the sensor that is not much bigger than the 20D/300D sensor, and
if you managed to get it attached to a different camera you would loose
some of the image area.

However, the lens also extends further into the camera than EF lenses,
running the risk of being in the way for the mirror when it slaps up.

The might be some protrusions on the lens to make sure it cannot be affixed
to a non-EF-S camera but you shouldn't try. If the lens stops the mirror
you might ruin the mirror and scratch the innermost lens element.

At the moment there are only a few EF-S lenses and compatible cameras:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM

I think there's a USM version of the 18-55mm lens too, shipped with the
300D in japan (if I remember correctly they came out with a new 300D
package with the new lens, but nothing else different), but this could be
incorrect.

Only the Canon 20D and 300D support these lenses at the moment.

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
http://www.vkarlsen.no/

PGP KeyID: 0x0270466B

Old November 15th 04, 06:48 AM
Louise Bremner

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen wrote:

At the moment there are only a few EF-S lenses and compatible cameras:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM

I think there's a USM version of the 18-55mm lens too, shipped with the
300D in japan ...

Yes--that was the kit lens for the Digital KISS.

But the USM version of the lens is the one that's being sold
independently now.

(if I remember correctly they came out with a new 300D
package with the new lens, but nothing else different)...

Huh? When did "they" do that?

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Old November 15th 04, 09:49 AM
David Hearn

Louise Bremner wrote:
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen wrote:

At the moment there are only a few EF-S lenses and compatible
cameras:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM

I think there's a USM version of the 18-55mm lens too, shipped with
the 300D in japan ...

Yes--that was the kit lens for the Digital KISS.

But the USM version of the lens is the one that's being sold
independently now.

Canon still state that the EF-S 18-55mm lens is not available without either
a 300D or 20D. I have seen some retailers splitting up the kits (at least
one case was to sell the body only when they didn't have a kit in stock) and
selling the lens unboxed. I've not heard of any official Canon boxed EF-S
18-55mm lenses.

The other 2 EF-S lenses (See above) which Canon are selling are both USM,
and these are available separately in official Canon boxes.

(if I remember correctly they came out with a new 300D
package with the new lens, but nothing else different)...

Huh? When did "they" do that?

The 'new' black 300D kit in the UK comes with the USM lens just like the
Digital Kiss. I assume its the same with the US version of the black 300D.
Incidentally, this isn't a Ring USM lens, so no FTM and not much of a speed
increase/noise reduction from the basic kit lens.

David

Old November 15th 04, 09:55 AM
Georg E.

Yes, you are correct. There are however various modification instructions
for these lenses (e.g.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html).

Georg
_________