Nikon announces new flagship **FILM** SLR – the F6!

Old September 16th 04, 05:20 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

Glad to hear it. As William says, so what, it's an F5... but it
looks more compact and up to date ... has some questionable bells
and whistles ("Shutter Monitor"?)...

Didn't mention viewfinder options ... have they gone fixed VF?

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 16th 04, 06:11 PM
Matt Clara

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Peter Lawrence wrote:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

Glad to hear it. As William says, so what, it's an F5... but it
looks more compact and up to date ... has some questionable bells
and whistles ("Shutter Monitor"?)...

If this is what I'm thinking it is, the F5 has the shutter monitor, too. It
checks the speed of the shutter against the speed set by the camera--if the
shutter is off, it compensates. Rather than quesitonable, this sounds like
a must for a working pro who can't afford to miss the shot.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 16th 04, 07:34 PM
Wesley Jansen

Also I didn't see if there was an eyepiece shutter or not. Certainly hope
so, as I thought that was a glaring omission on the F100 (considering the
N90 came so equipped). Shame about the loss of interchangeable finders, but
perhaps there just wasn't much of a market for such; and as you said,
probably easier sealing. Glad to see the manual rewind option and mirror
lock-up.

"Stephen H. Westin" wrote in message
(Peter Lawrence) writes:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

Hmm. The prism is now permanently mounted, so they lost at least one
F5 feature. I suspect that the improvements in size, weight,
alignment, and dust sealing were just too tempting...

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 16th 04, 08:27 PM
TP

(Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

I wonder if the F6 was derived from the D2 series. More probably, they
were developed together, and the degree to which they share technology
made it economical to do two cameras rather than just one.

The F6 and D2 are the products of a Nikon development program that has
been running for three years with the aim of marketing a convertible
film/digital SLR that would have succeeded both the F5 and D1X. The
rationale for this hybrid camera was questioned - and abandoned - in
early 2003 when it became apparent that Nikon's target market's move
from film to digital was becoming so rapid and so total that it made
such a hybrid obsolete even before it hit the camera dealers' shelves.

The result was that Nikon used the technology to develop two separate
cameras, one film and one digital, that share many common features.
In fact they share just about as many features as it is possible for a
film and a digital SLR to share. Metering, autofocus, even the
shutters share similar technology.

Leica's R Digital Back for the R9 is aimed at a different market; one
that is still firmly wedded to film but is slowly and cautiously
moving into digital. Leica don't expect large production volumes for
their digital back, but loyal Leica fans wishing to embrace digital
while continuing to use Leica optics will no doubt support Leica's
efforts to the extent Leica need.

Old September 16th 04, 09:02 PM
Gordon Moat

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

Thanks for sharing. It almost seems like more of an update to the F100,
than a change in the F5. This is the first F single digit camera from
Nikon to not allow changing the viewfinder. :-(

I am not surprised that the flash control feature of the latest digital
SLRs has made it to the film line, though I wonder if only the F6 will
have that capability in the film SLR line.

Nice to see they have cut some weight off the F5, the F6 is at 975 g. It
is close to the lightest F4 configuration which is 1090 g.

Also interesting to see Giugiaro listed as the body designer. This
Italian firm was responsible for the F3 body design as well. With some
possibility that this might be the last new flagship film SLR design
from Nikon (industry analysts expect no new film SLRs at all by 2008
from Japanese companies), it might become a future classic. Looks like a
nice package, though somewhat like an F100.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 16th 04, 11:03 PM
William Graham

"Bhup" wrote in message
perhaps its smaller than the F5 . I never liked the intgrated battery pack
of the F5
Nikon has got it right to to keep at the forefront of film too

Yes....I think TP's post is the key....The two engineering departments at
Nikon saw a chance to profit from each other's work, so they came out with
the F6 along with the D2X.....They wouldn't have normally replaced the F5
with so few improvements otherwise......