iPad Problems 2

Old April 10th 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default iPad Problems 2

On 2016-04-10 11:25:00 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

click the book icon at the top, which is likely hidden under the ...
menu icon (4th one). itunes 12 really ****ed up the interface.

What the !!! is the Menu icon? I can neither see nor identify such a
thing. Nor can I see it in the example you have posted.

... means 'more stuff'. click that.

https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/mac_apps/itunes/itunes12_media_switcher.png

but it looks like they changed things yet again and removed books.

try under the file menu, choose add to library...

there's still hope that itunes 13 will be less ****ed up.

Silly boy, there is no such hope with 'Minimalist' Ive having his say.

Savageduck

Old April 10th 16, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

there's still hope that itunes 13 will be less ****ed up.

Silly boy, there is no such hope with 'Minimalist' Ive having his say.

minimalism isn't the problem.

the problem is that the ui is a total mess, with some stuff even hidden
until there's a mouse-over. discoverability is shot to hell.
Old April 10th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-04-10 14:35:43 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

there's still hope that itunes 13 will be less ****ed up.

Silly boy, there is no such hope with 'Minimalist' Ive having his say.

minimalism isn't the problem.

the problem is that the ui is a total mess, with some stuff even hidden
until there's a mouse-over. discoverability is shot to hell.

....and Ive's minimalist paws are all over that just as they have
influenced other Apple software, OSX, and iOS. He should just stick to
designing iPod, iPhone, and iPad cases.

The man is so minimalist, I am surprised he hasn't declared the "e" in
his name invisible, leaving us with "Iv".

Savageduck

Old April 10th 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

there's still hope that itunes 13 will be less ****ed up.

Silly boy, there is no such hope with 'Minimalist' Ive having his say.

minimalism isn't the problem.

the problem is that the ui is a total mess, with some stuff even hidden
until there's a mouse-over. discoverability is shot to hell.

...and Ive's minimalist paws are all over that just as they have
influenced other Apple software, OSX, and iOS. He should just stick to
designing iPod, iPhone, and iPad cases.

The man is so minimalist, I am surprised he hasn't declared the "e" in
his name invisible, leaving us with "Iv".

steve jobs was also minimalist.

lack of clutter is not a problem by itself. part of why apple products
are so appealing is because they aren't cluttered with a bazillion
options, most of which nobody ever changes (or even understands).

the problem is having a poorly designed ui. there is no user testing.
rearranging controls and/or changing how they work for no particular
reason is confusing.

btw, did you know there's a managerial limit (not a technical limit)
for how many controls can go into an itunes dialog? that's one reason
why stuff gets hidden, and it dates back many years. it's not new.
Old April 10th 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Eric Stevens wrote:

I apologise for keeping coming back to you guys with my problems but
setting up this iPad thing is driving me up the wall.

iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.1. Computer running today's variation of
Windows 10 (come to think of it, I haven't had an update for several
weeks).

One of the strongest reasons for me using an iPad is the ability to
load in camera manuals as PDF files. I have four such files totalling
42MB and cannot get them into the iPad.

Googling tells me:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

(2) Send them as attachments to an email addressed to yourself. Then
you can save them to 'iBooks'. I attempted this but the size of the
attachments have caused them to be rejected by the email system at
multiple levels.

(3) Use iCloud. Attempts to install iCloud are greeted by the follwing
Windows message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installation package.
A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personel or package vendor."

How else do I install these PDFs?

Eric,

I have a long-standing dislike of iTunes, whose UI to me seems bloated
and unintuitive. Even downright dangerous when it comes to syncing, at
least in my hands, as a Windows user who has never had a Mac. I do use
it when I have to but for 95% of stuff with files I use Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/

Set up a free account on your PC and also install the free Dropbox app
on your iPad(s). You'll see your \Dropbox folder and all your
customised subfolders on both. You can then copy/paste/drag
intuitively between them. Such as your PDF manuals.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old April 10th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I have a long-standing dislike of iTunes, whose UI to me seems bloated
and unintuitive. Even downright dangerous when it comes to syncing,

dangerous??

there is no danger with syncing. none whatsoever.

under no circumstances will itunes delete user content without explicit
confirmation by the user.
Old April 10th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I have a long-standing dislike of iTunes, whose UI to me seems bloated
and unintuitive. Even downright dangerous when it comes to syncing,

dangerous??

there is no danger with syncing. none whatsoever.

under no circumstances will itunes delete user content without explicit
confirmation by the user.

sounds like doctor death...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 10th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

nospam wrote:

In article , Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I have a long-standing dislike of iTunes, whose UI to me seems bloated
and unintuitive. Even downright dangerous when it comes to syncing,

dangerous??

there is no danger with syncing. none whatsoever.

under no circumstances will itunes delete user content without explicit
confirmation by the user.

I did say "...at least in my hands, as a Windows user who has never
had a Mac." IMO it should have protected me more robustly from my
mistakes.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 10th 16, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Terry Pinnell
wrote:

I have a long-standing dislike of iTunes, whose UI to me seems bloated
and unintuitive. Even downright dangerous when it comes to syncing,

dangerous??

there is no danger with syncing. none whatsoever.

under no circumstances will itunes delete user content without explicit
confirmation by the user.

I did say "...at least in my hands, as a Windows user who has never
had a Mac."

having a mac does not make any difference.

itunes is essentially the same on both platforms.

a couple of menu items are in slightly different places but that's
really about the extent of it.

IMO it should have protected me more robustly from my
mistakes.

by doing what??

if itunes asks if you want to delete something and you say yes, it's
going to do what you told it to do.
Old April 10th 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 10:35:43 -0400, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

there's still hope that itunes 13 will be less ****ed up.

Silly boy, there is no such hope with 'Minimalist' Ive having his say.

minimalism isn't the problem.

the problem is that the ui is a total mess, with some stuff even hidden
until there's a mouse-over. discoverability is shot to hell.

That's part of minimalism. Keep it tidy.

Eric Stevens