iPad Problems 2

Old April 10th 16, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default iPad Problems 2

I apologise for keeping coming back to you guys with my problems but
setting up this iPad thing is driving me up the wall.

iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.1. Computer running today's variation of
Windows 10 (come to think of it, I haven't had an update for several
weeks).

One of the strongest reasons for me using an iPad is the ability to
load in camera manuals as PDF files. I have four such files totalling
42MB and cannot get them into the iPad.

Googling tells me:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

(2) Send them as attachments to an email addressed to yourself. Then
you can save them to 'iBooks'. I attempted this but the size of the
attachments have caused them to be rejected by the email system at
multiple levels.

(3) Use iCloud. Attempts to install iCloud are greeted by the follwing
Windows message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installation package.
A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personel or package vendor."

How else do I install these PDFs?

Eric Stevens
Old April 10th 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I apologise for keeping coming back to you guys with my problems but
setting up this iPad thing is driving me up the wall.

iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.1. Computer running today's variation of
Windows 10 (come to think of it, I haven't had an update for several
weeks).

One of the strongest reasons for me using an iPad is the ability to
load in camera manuals as PDF files. I have four such files totalling
42MB and cannot get them into the iPad.

Googling tells me:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

it should work. itunes will automatically add it to books, which are
then synced to the ipad.

make sure that you enabled book syncing. it may be disabled.

click on the ipad (at the top) and then the book section (on the side).
this used to be less convoluted in itunes 11 and earlier.

(2) Send them as attachments to an email addressed to yourself. Then
you can save them to 'iBooks'. I attempted this but the size of the
attachments have caused them to be rejected by the email system at
multiple levels.

try dropbox.

(3) Use iCloud. Attempts to install iCloud are greeted by the follwing
Windows message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installation package.
A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personel or package vendor."

where did you get the icloud installer?

re-download it from apple.

How else do I install these PDFs?

itunes is the easiest way.
Old April 10th 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-04-09 23:30:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

There are two simple ways:
Use DB which has its own PDF reader, when located in DB on your iPad
tap on the 'Share' icon and select 'Open in'.
https://db.tt/PNlFPzUy
Then tap on 'Copy to iBooks'.
https://db.tt/lM3dJgV8
....or just leave them in DB.

Otherwise you can send yourself an email with the PDF attached and with
the various veiwing options send to iBooks.
https://db.tt/lM3dJgV8
https://db.tt/peYsWmUm

Savageduck

Old April 10th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-04-09 23:30:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

https://db.tt--IGNORE!!

Oops! I meant this one:
https://db.tt/PNuak5ID
https://db.tt/peYsWmUm

Savageduck

Old April 10th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 19:35:40 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I apologise for keeping coming back to you guys with my problems but
setting up this iPad thing is driving me up the wall.

iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.1. Computer running today's variation of
Windows 10 (come to think of it, I haven't had an update for several
weeks).

One of the strongest reasons for me using an iPad is the ability to
load in camera manuals as PDF files. I have four such files totalling
42MB and cannot get them into the iPad.

Googling tells me:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

it should work. itunes will automatically add it to books, which are
then synced to the ipad.

I haven't found any way of dragging and dropping a PDF to iTunes which
will result in the PDF showing up in 'Books' so that I can sync the
iPad to it.

make sure that you enabled book syncing. it may be disabled.

I presume you are referring to enabling 'Sync Collections' in the
iBooks section of iPad's setup. Yes, that is enabled. My problem is
that I haven't found how to get the PDF in to iTunes to enable me to
sync it in the first place.

click on the ipad (at the top) and then the book section (on the side).
this used to be less convoluted in itunes 11 and earlier.

I'm not sure quite what you are referring to there. Click on what (at
the top) and where are we when we have a book section on the side?

In the mean time, while poking around, a whole swag of deleted books
have reappeared in the iPad, including three obsolete iPad User
Guides. That makes four in total. That wouldn't be so bad except that
they all look much the same and they are all identically titled 'iPad
User Guide'. To make matters worse, if I open one up to find out which
one it is and I close it again because it is the wrong one, the damned
thing doesn't go back to where it came from. The four unidentified
'iPad User Guides' play musical chairs and I have no obvious
indication of which one is which. Fortunately I have identified a
subtle difference in the icon of the latest version which allows me to
home in on it.

(2) Send them as attachments to an email addressed to yourself. Then
you can save them to 'iBooks'. I attempted this but the size of the
attachments have caused them to be rejected by the email system at
multiple levels.

try dropbox.

I will get back to you.

(3) Use iCloud. Attempts to install iCloud are greeted by the follwing
Windows message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installation package.
A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personel or package vendor."

where did you get the icloud installer?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204283

re-download it from apple.

I've done that twice now. It makes no difference.

How else do I install these PDFs?

itunes is the easiest way.

If only I could get them into iTunes.

Where can I find a three year old?

Eric Stevens
Old April 10th 16, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 17:04:09 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-04-09 23:30:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

Tried that. The attachements are to big to allow mailing.

Eric Stevens
Old April 10th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2016-04-09 23:30:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I've never previously explored this area. I'm groping my way around
now.

Old April 10th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

it should work. itunes will automatically add it to books, which are
then synced to the ipad.

I haven't found any way of dragging and dropping a PDF to iTunes which
will result in the PDF showing up in 'Books' so that I can sync the
iPad to it.

click on the pdf, drag to itunes, let go.

itunes figures out the rest.

make sure that you enabled book syncing. it may be disabled.

I presume you are referring to enabling 'Sync Collections' in the
iBooks section of iPad's setup. Yes, that is enabled. My problem is
that I haven't found how to get the PDF in to iTunes to enable me to
sync it in the first place.

dragging should be sufficient.

click on the ipad (at the top) and then the book section (on the side).
this used to be less convoluted in itunes 11 and earlier.

I'm not sure quite what you are referring to there. Click on what (at
the top) and where are we when we have a book section on the side?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ot2014-08-23at
73717AM_zps4f836f19.jpg

it was a lot better in older versions of itunes, before they ****ed up
the interface:
http://libris.me/Images/screen14.png

either way, once you get the book panel, just select the books you want
and sync.
Old April 10th 16, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-04-09 23:30:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

Then use the DB method.

Savageduck

Old April 10th 16, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 21:10:05 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

(1) Drag and drop them into (somewhere) iTunes and then sync. Doesn't
work that I can see.

it should work. itunes will automatically add it to books, which are
then synced to the ipad.

I haven't found any way of dragging and dropping a PDF to iTunes which
will result in the PDF showing up in 'Books' so that I can sync the
iPad to it.

click on the pdf, drag to itunes, let go.

itunes figures out the rest.

If that's what it's doing it's still thinking. It's been thinking for
two days now in some cases.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/Julien321/ScreenShot2014-08-23at73717AM_zps4f836f19.jpg

it was a lot better in older versions of itunes, before they ****ed up
the interface:
http://libris.me/Images/screen14.png

either way, once you get the book panel, just select the books you want
and sync.

These are what I have currently:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Untitled-1.jpg and
and
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Untitled-2.jpg
neither of which explain why I have 14 books in the iPad, including
four user manuals, but no PDFs.

Eric Stevens