I Gb compact flash vs 512Mb (or even 256) compact flash

Old September 9th 04, 01:29 PM
grim

"Gene Palmiter" wrote
OK....where could a person go for a long trip where they could not empty
their card...but where they can recharge batteries and eat and all that
other stuff.

A long camping trip...might be....you can charge with solar panels.

If he's hiking, he wouldn't want to pack a solar charger in his backpack.
Space is too much at a premium. A couple sets of non-rechargable lithium
batteries should provide plenty of juice (if his camera uses AAs). If he has
to use recharagables, bring along 3 or 4 batteries. He should be able to
shoot over a thousand pictures.

But, mostly....you can get a CD burned anywhere.

Frankly, there are areas in the world where I would not trust handing over
*anything* the least bit expensive (like a CF card) to someone for them to
burn a CD. Many locals are just waiting to rip-off western tourists. The
local cops are in on it, too. Everything is corruption and scams in these
places. Keep your valuables close and hidden, and your wits about you.
(Hey... sounds like good advice for New York as well! lol)

Old September 9th 04, 01:56 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Rick S. wrote:

I see I can get a 1 Gb compactflash card for 20 or 30 bucks more than
a 512 Mb card.... seems a no brainer to me, I'd like to get a coupla 1
G's rather than 4 512's, (I'm going on a long trip and will not have
any downloading capability).
Is there any reason I should avoid such a big capacity card?
Is it the same technology in both?
Any body have any failures on gigabyte cards?
I'm going to stick with established namebrands, either sandisk or
lexar, and my camera can handle the size.
thanks ahead of time for any input,
Rick

Theoretically, you are more likely to suffer a single failure if you
have 4 cards than if you have one card. However, in practical use,
there is very little chance of a problem with any one card. The reason
many people choose to use smaller cards is that if one of them dies, or
just gets lost or damaged, then the potential for loss is less. I would
rate the chance of loss as the highest probablity, with damage second,
and an actual card failure as least likely.
You pays your money, and you takes your chances...

My concern is with the tiny pins in the CF connector. I've seen too many
bent pins (admittedly in other, but similar, types of connector) to be able
to pop CF cards in and out of sockets and cameras and PC adapters blithly.

I buy the biggest card I can afford and never take it out of the camera.
Sure, download takes an age, but one has to eat and sleep, and it can be
overlapped with one of those.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Old September 9th 04, 04:19 PM
John McWilliams

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Rick S. wrote:

[...]

That is correct.

My concern is with the tiny pins in the CF connector. I've seen too many
bent pins (admittedly in other, but similar, types of connector) to be able
to pop CF cards in and out of sockets and cameras and PC adapters blithly.

I buy the biggest card I can afford and never take it out of the camera.
Sure, download takes an age, but one has to eat and sleep, and it can be
overlapped with one of those.

Wow, David! I thought my card was slow....Usually making coffee does
it... but I am of the same persuasion- generally d/l it from the camera
for the same reasons. Besides, if I break the plug on the camera, I can
still revert to an external card reader, but the reverse is not true.

And even though a card reader is twice as fast, it just ain't anywhere
near fast. So, I don't see much practical difference if the task takes 5
minutes vs. 10, or 15 vs. 7.5. OF COURSE, there will be times when those
differences are important.....

--
John McWillliams

Old September 9th 04, 06:53 PM
Michael Beck

Has anyone ever had the misfortune to bend a CF pin on one of the
higher end dSLRs? I wonder what it costs to get something like that
repaired...

Old September 9th 04, 06:53 PM
Michael Beck

Old September 9th 04, 06:53 PM
Michael Beck

Old September 10th 04, 01:13 AM
Ron Hunter

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Rick S. wrote:

[...]

The pins are deep within the camera. If the card slot is properly
designed, there can't be a misalignment when inserting the card.
Contamination of the card slot is a remote posibility if reasonable care
is exercised. Of course if you operate in hostile environments, you are
probably doing a wise thing.