Tmax & D-76

Old July 16th 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Tmax & D-76

Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in here at Nebenzahl
Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you that I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old (~5 years) stock,
and the negatives came out looking gorgeous. The prints, too. (This was
35mm film. I'd really like to shoot something larger in this film stock
someday.)

There may be better developers for Tmax; the consensus seems to be that
Xtol is the best stuff to use. But while this combination may not be the
ultimate, D-76 certainly does a quite credible and creditable job with
this film.

I only wish I had a better scanner so I could post pictures that would
do the prints justice.

Old July 18th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in here
at Nebenzahl Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you that
I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old (~5
years) stock, and the negatives came out looking gorgeous.
The prints, too. (This was 35mm film. I'd really like to
shoot something larger in this film stock someday.)

There may be better developers for Tmax; the consensus
seems to be that Xtol is the best stuff to use. But while
this combination may not be the ultimate, D-76 certainly
does a quite credible and creditable job with this film.

I only wish I had a better scanner so I could post
pictures that would do the prints justice.

This has been my standard combination for years. I also
use full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol on 35mm T-Max 100
negatives. That combination has grain nearly as fine as the
late, lamented, Technical Pan but with much greater speed
(about EI 50) and much more easily controlled contrast.
There are certainly better developers than D-76, but
not very much better, and D-76 has been extremely reliable.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old July 18th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 7/18/2010 8:02 AM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in here
at Nebenzahl Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you that
I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old (~5
years) stock, and the negatives came out looking gorgeous.
The prints, too. (This was 35mm film. I'd really like to
shoot something larger in this film stock someday.)

This has been my standard combination for years. I also
use full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol on 35mm T-Max 100
negatives. That combination has grain nearly as fine as the
late, lamented, Technical Pan but with much greater speed
(about EI 50) and much more easily controlled contrast.

So do you use D-76 full strength or diluted 1:1?

I have some Microdol-X, so I'll use it on my next roll of T-Max. A
one-stop loss of speed is no big deal.

Old July 18th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

[...]

My favorite with TMax 100 is Rodinal 1:50 for about 11 minutes at 68 degrees
fahenheit. Full agitation first 30 seconds, then for 5 seconds out of each
30 seconds thereafter. Beautiful negatives.

Old July 19th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/18/2010 8:02 AM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
.com...

Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in
here at Nebenzahl Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you
that I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old
(~5 years) stock, and the negatives came out looking
gorgeous. The prints, too. (This was 35mm film. I'd
really like to shoot something larger in this film stock
someday.)

This has been my standard combination for years. I
also use full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol on 35mm
T-Max 100 negatives. That combination has grain nearly as
fine as the late, lamented, Technical Pan but with much
greater speed (about EI 50) and much more easily
controlled contrast.

So do you use D-76 full strength or diluted 1:1?

I have some Microdol-X, so I'll use it on my next roll of
T-Max. A one-stop loss of speed is no big deal.

I usually use D-76 diluted 1:1 as a one-shot. For a time
I was using it full strength and replenishing but I found I
was not developing enough film to justify that and I also
prefer the somewhat longer developing times the diluted
developer gives.
Microdol-X and Perceptol, which are essentially
identical, lose their extra-fine-grain property when diluted
so must be used full strength is minimum grain is the
objective. At 1:3 they produce full film speed and begin to
show some acutance effect but the grain is then about the
same as D-76.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old July 31st 10, 07:16 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl View Post
Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in here at Nebenzahl
Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you that I'm very happy with them.

I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old (~5 years) stock,
and the negatives came out looking gorgeous. The prints, too. (This was
35mm film. I'd really like to shoot something larger in this film stock
someday.)

There may be better developers for Tmax; the consensus seems to be that
Xtol is the best stuff to use. But while this combination may not be the
ultimate, D-76 certainly does a quite credible and creditable job with
this film.

I only wish I had a better scanner so I could post pictures that would
do the prints justice.

This doesn't surprise me at all. There was a link on the web called "What Rochester Forgot To Tell Us", (which I cant find now) where the author found D-76 diluted 1+1 to provide much better results with T-Max films than T-MaxRS.
Some photographers on the apug forum reckon that D-76 gives great results with the latest T-Max 400 (2-TMY) film.
I use D-76/ID-11 for all of my film developing and it's still a great film developer.
Old August 1st 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

David Nebenzahl Wrote:
Well, the results of my first use of Tmax 100 are in here at Nebenzahl
Laboratories, GmbH, and I can tell you that I'm very happy with them.
I developed it in D-76, 1:1 dilution, using rather old (~5 years) stock,
and the negatives came out looking gorgeous. The prints, too. (This was
35mm film.

Try 35mm TMax 100 in Microdol-X - the grain is as fine as the late lamented
TechPan though it does not have the same 'large-format look'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old August 1st 10, 12:53 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas O. Lindan View Post
Try 35mm TMax 100 in Microdol-X - the grain is as fine as the late lamented
TechPan though it does not have the same 'large-format look'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm
n o lindan at ix dot netcom dot com
The trouble with that is, what to use when the Mic-X supply runs out?

There's Ilford Perceptol which is a good substitute and also Rollei Low-Speed developer which is a similar type of developer to Mic-X and Perceptol, but sold as a liquid concentrate.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/Film/page123/page123.html
Old August 3rd 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Keith Tapscott."
wrote in message

Nicholas O. Lindan;885494 Wrote:

Try 35mm TMax 100 in Microdol-X - the grain is as fine as
the late
lamented
TechPan though it does not have the same 'large-format
look'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm
n o lindan at ix dot netcom dot comThe trouble with that
is, what to use when the Mic-X supply runs out?

There's Ilford Perceptol which is a good substitute and
also Rollei
Low-Speed developer which is a similar type of developer
to Mic-X and
Perceptol, but sold as a liquid concentrate.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/Film/page123/page123.html

--
Keith Tapscott.

As far as I can tell Perceptol and Microdol-X are
identical. The differences in developing times given for
them for some films is probably because of a difference in
the contrast index being used for the testing. In both
developers the fine grain agent is sodium chloride.
Both developers have an extra-fine-grain property when
used full strength but loose it when diluted. There is a
speed loss of about 3/4 stop when used full strength but
when diluted 1:3 the speed is about the same as in D-76,
however, the grain is also comparable then. Both are
acutance developers when diluted.
The line about T-Max being as fine grained in
Microdol-X as Technical Pan in Technidol is from me. I've
used T-Max 100 in Perceptol and Microdol-X full strength.
Speed about EI-50. The results were very fine grain and had
the smoothness I would normally associate with a larger
negative. The combination is much easier to handle than
Technical Pan was since the contrast does not become
excessive so easily. I found that Technical Pan in Technidol
had to be shot at about EI-12 to avoid excessive contrast
and difficult to print negatives.
A caution: the combination had virtually no acutance
effect so images may appear to be somewhat blurry unless
your lenses are outstanding. I am, of course, talking about
35mm. For 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 the difference is not so great
although it will help if you make very large prints.
As far as overall performance it depends on what you
want. For general use D-76 either full strength or 1:1 works
fine for T-Max films and is probably what was used during
the research period. Xtol is the optimum developer yielding
slightly higher speed and slightly finer grain than D-76 and
not producing a shoulder until very high densities are
reached. T-Max RS also yields somewhat higher speed but I've
found it to be slightly grainier than D-76. Both T-Max RS
and Xtol are excellent for pushing.
Tone rendition is similar for all although there are
some differences in the shape of the published curves. For
the most part the curve shape of a film is determined by the
emulsion and is varied only a little by development.
However, it may be enough to make a noticable difference and
after that its a matter of taste.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old August 3rd 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Peter Irwin

Richard Knoppow wrote:
A caution: the combination had virtually no acutance
effect so images may appear to be somewhat blurry unless
your lenses are outstanding.

This matches my experience with TMX in Microdol-X. Grain
is amazingly fine, actual resolution is very good, but it just
didn't look /sharp/.

Xtol (1:1) gave me much sharper looking results than Microdol-X
at full strength. I somewhat puzzled at how obvious the effect
seemed; everything I think I know tells me to expect more subtle
differences. And yet "appear to be somewhat blurry" only seems
a slight exaggeration of my disappointment with TMX in Microdol-X.

Peter.