Ford, The Survivor

Old May 16th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

Default Ford, The Survivor

On 2009-05-16 10:13:48 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2009-05-15 23:18:10 -0700, "David J. Littleboy" said:

"Savageduck" wrote:

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0597c.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0604c.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0605c.jpg

Huh? I thought they were black? You camera's got _serious_ color rendition
problemsg.

No! Model-T was the Ford of "You can have it in any color, as long as
it is black."

This is a Model A, which was offered in various color options, but not black
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_A_(1927-1931)

...but if you want black, I found this parked in town last week:

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0509.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0508.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0511.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0507.JPG

Could you at least post these reduced to about 1600 x 1000 pixels?

You complain about Flash BW, but then you post monster JPG's that don't
look particularly good until reduced to less than screen size...

OK! OK! Mea Culpa.
I was lazy and was looking for a quick response for David.

BTW I have no particular personal issue with Flash, but I know there
are some here who have broadband issues, and I apologize to them for my
fat Jag post.

....but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?
Savageduck

Old May 16th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Savageduck wrote:

I have become a Mercedes lover, with first a 560SEL, then an S600 coupe
(I loved that V12 until the AC compressor died and the $2800 fix and gas
prices goaded me to trade it) and now for the last 18 months I have
owned an E350, which has been trouble free.

Mercedez are middle of the pack for defect rates in the first 3 years
per quality surveys. This is as much due to system complexity as
anything else, however, very richly featured cars like the Accura and
Lexus line fare much better than 'benz.

A friend bought a CLK320 and in the 2nd year one of the front wheel
assemblies cracked and broke off. He was in a turn at the time and not
at all amused.

He left the car in the road and took a train home. He told 'benz where
it was (about 300km from his home). When he got home, 'benz had a
loaner car waiting for him and his own car was returned a few days
later. (His car has otherwise been trouble free).

So great service from 'benz, but their implied claim to high reliability
is a bit suspect given the survey results and events like that of my
friend... and of course once the warranty expires any repair is costly
as it is for all German cars, Volvos, Range Rover, etc.

I'll stick to Honda or Toyota as the likely sweet spot for cost
efficiency. That is all cars are too me: transport. I run a car for at
least 8 yr. from new. Current Accord is in such great shape after 8
years it will likely go 12 years before I move on. May try a Toyota
next, esp. if the Camry Hybrid posts good numbers all around. Am
thinking of a Ford Escape too... but...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Savageduck wrote:

...but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?

Not su I've never seen a "brick" paint job before.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0508.JPG

runs

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Savageduck wrote:

...but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?

Gorgeous, I like the perspective of the 507 shot the best. Too bad you
couldn't get that shot at the country club with a stunning redhead at
the wheel in a summer dress, stepping over the door with a little
glimpse of stocking and thigh...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-16 11:04:19 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Savageduck wrote:

...but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?

Not su I've never seen a "brick" paint job before.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0508.JPG

runs

Kinda neat, isn't it?
Savageduck

Old May 16th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Neil Harrington[_3_]

On 2009-05-15 21:08:59 -0700, DMac said:

Savageduck wrote:
Well since Ford is the only one of the Big 3, even remotely looking
like a survivor, here is a little salute.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0597c.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0604c.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ModelA_0605c.jpg

Should never put radial tyres on one of these cars.

You noticed, he even mixed types.
He has Firestone cross-plies on the front and radials on the back.
I suspect this is not all it appears to be. There appears to be some
work to the rear end, as evidence by the appearance of the rear wheel
wells.
He is also using standard California plates with plain vanilla
registration, not Historic Vehicle plates.
I have a feeling an inspection under the hood would reveal something
other than a restored original engine.

Those wheels look the wrong size, too. Especially noticeable in the rear.

Nice looking A-bone, though. Sure seems to have all the trimmin's. I don't
think I've seen that kind of "eyebrows" on the headlights before.

An old friend of mine used to have a Model A roadster with an Alexander
cylinder head -- OHV, I think. That was a classy little car. Never got any
pix of it, I regret to say.

Old May 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-15 21:08:59 -0700, DMac said:

Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Those are more of a 50's HR add-on. I don't think you would find them
on any Concours car. This is no Concours car.

Old May 16th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-16 11:13:10 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Savageduck wrote:

...but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?

Gorgeous, I like the perspective of the 507 shot the best. Too bad you
couldn't get that shot at the country club with a stunning redhead at
the wheel in a summer dress, stepping over the door with a little
glimpse of stocking and thigh...

I was standing with the owner when I took the shots, he and I, and I
suspect you, are not longer of an age (or visage)to attract the said
red head.
Then isn't that what the car is for?
Savageduck

Old May 16th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2009-05-16 11:13:10 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Savageduck wrote:

...but other than that, what did you think of the XK120?

Gorgeous, I like the perspective of the 507 shot the best. Too bad
you couldn't get that shot at the country club with a stunning redhead
at the wheel in a summer dress, stepping over the door with a little
glimpse of stocking and thigh...

I was standing with the owner when I took the shots, he and I, and I
suspect you, are not longer of an age (or visage)to attract the said red
head.
Then isn't that what the car is for?

We'll see tonight. Still dawdling over shoes. Blonde, actually.
Doesn't mind my boring Honda...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
John McWilliams

On 2009-05-16 10:13:48 -0700, Alan Browne
said:
Savageduck wrote:
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0509.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0508.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0511.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_0507.JPG

Could you at least post these reduced to about 1600 x 1000 pixels?

You complain about Flash BW, but then you post monster JPG's that
don't look particularly good until reduced to less than screen size...

OK! OK! Mea Culpa.
I was lazy and was looking for a quick response for David.

BTW I have no particular personal issue with Flash, but I know there are
some here who have broadband issues, and I apologize to them for my fat
Jag post.

Those photos, when not + plussed +, show fully in a modest Safari window
on a MacBookPro, even better on an iMac.

--
John McWilliams