How to get the wife to agree to a 2K printer?

Old March 19th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Default How to get the wife to agree to a 2K printer?

MarkČ mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
Ray Fischer wrote:
DeanB wrote:

Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

Yep.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it?

That's between you and her.

I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

What's the real reason you want the printer? I've seen the stories
about control, and being able to print big, and I know as well as you
that it's all crap. There are photo labs that you could use that will
do a _better_ job of printing and provide _better_ control than you
and your printer and will save you money.

That's just not true, Ray (about control). If you know what you're doing,
you can get the results you want.

Shall we discuss the added cost of a quality colorimiter for the
monitor? And the cost of color-managed software? There's another
$1000. Of course, if the printer is just a toy then you don't need
all of that. You can just do trial and error and spend your money on
inks and your time screwing around.

If you don't...then by all means, take it
to a lab... But unless the lab tech can get inside your brain, he can't
make your choices...only his.

All you need is a color-calibrated monitor and decent software. What
you see on the screen will be produced by the lab. You don't need
your own printer to accomplish that, and the lab will do a better job
of color-calibrating their equipment.

--
Ray Fischer

Old March 19th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Ray Fischer wrote:
DeanB wrote:

[...]

OK. That's about $140, but it's good for any and ALL monitors you now own,
and will own in the future.

And the cost of color-managed software? There's another
$1000.

Honestly, Ray, I doubt anyone who buys a professional series printer is
lacking Photoshop... Anyone who is using photoshop already has
color-managed software...and there are other alternatives (including
Photoshop) for FAR less than $1000.

Of course, if the printer is just a toy then you don't need
all of that. You can just do trial and error and spend your money on
inks and your time screwing around.

Your arguing for the very reasonable investment of a colorometer now...
Thanks! Saved me some typing.

If you don't...then by all means, take it
to a lab... But unless the lab tech can get inside your brain, he
can't make your choices...only his.

All you need is a color-calibrated monitor and decent software. What
you see on the screen will be produced by the lab. You don't need
your own printer to accomplish that, and the lab will do a better job
of color-calibrating their equipment.

But should you need it immediately, or change your mind, or choose a
different frame with a slightly different, non-stnadard size, or want to add
a colored border-matte, or...or...or... No thanks. Control is good.
Surely paying a lab IS the best alternative for many people... I only argue
that it's a little bit silly/unnecessary to insist on lab work. We're all
different, and have different levels of skill/ability/patience/funds, etc.
I make no claims of being an expert, but I know exactly what I want from a
print, and I know how to get it. Why on Earth would I want to hand over my
work to someone else when I know I can produce exactly what I want to
produce? The answer is...I wouldn't. Some don't mind that...and even
benefit from that. I don't. To each their own...

-Mark

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 19th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Father Kodak

On 16 Mar 2007 11:19:43 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Okay, seriously. Remember that it is often easier to apologize
afterwards than ask permission beforehand. So go order the printer.
Then order roses. A dozen roses per day for a month or so should
smooth things over.

Geez, that is gonna cost you! Say fifty bucks a day for say 20
business days, assuming you send the flower to her at the office.
That's another grand. Wouldn't you rather buy a nice zoom lens?

Father Kodak
Old March 19th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:

Okay, seriously. Remember that it is often easier to apologize
afterwards than ask permission beforehand. So go order the printer.
Then order roses. A dozen roses per day for a month or so should
smooth things over.

Geez, that is gonna cost you! Say fifty bucks a day for say 20
business days, assuming you send the flower to her at the office.
That's another grand. Wouldn't you rather buy a nice zoom lens?

Lens . . . sex . . . lens . . . food . . . lens . . . sleep in bed . . .
lens . . . lens crammed up butt sideways . . . decisions, decisions.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old March 20th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Bob Williams wrote:

DeanB wrote:

Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it? I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

If you are not above a little "Creative Fiction", tell her that a
fellow at your workplace (or other organization with a huge
membership) recently died and his widow must sell all of his hobby
stuff prior to moving to a much smaller residence.
You offered her $300 for the printer and she accepted it.
Wifey will admire your bargaining skills for getting an $1815 printer
for a paltry $300, and you end up with an Epson 4800. Win-Win.

Honesty is the best policy. If you lie, then the spouse can lie,
and then there is no trust.

Roger
(Happily married 31 years)

Fully Agree!
I guess I should have put a "smiley face" somewhere in the message.
I just assumed that the OP and others would know that the scenario was
offered in jest like several others..... Mea Culpa.
Bob Williams

Old March 20th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DeanB

On Mar 20, 1:30 am, Bob Williams wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

DeanB wrote:

[...]

Bob Williams- Hide quoted text -

Yes, there was an implicit smiley in my original post! The wife has
agreed to let me buy the printer, as well as a macro lens and flash
and other stuff (great tax return this year!)

Thanks all for all the wonderfully funny tips.

Dean