Advice needed: Anyone used a Panasonic FX50K?

Old November 13th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
dabhand

Default Advice needed: Anyone used a Panasonic FX50K?

I saw one of these at costco for $330 or such. Anyone with anything to
say about it who's actually used one? It has a Leica lens and they
make splendid binoculars so that's a good indication, right?
The package I saw has 7.2Mp and comes with 512MB memory, battery and
docking station charger, wires ect.
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 20 years. My last
camera was an entry level Pentax K1000 SLR and I'm wondering if
someone can answer a few questions about the newer technology.
I have a laptop pc with usb, firewire and wifi and an HP Officejet
5610xi All-in-One printer.
1) Can you do B&W with a digital camera?
2) This is some kind of folded lens? Are there drawbacks to that
should concern anyone?
3) It sounds like it does macro, wide angle, medium and telephoto
lengths. Is this correct?
4) We used to have various lens filters for color and effects- this is
all done in post with some kind of software now, correct? Any comments
on how they compare?
5) Can you control the depth of field manually, to get a sharp focus
foreground and a diffuse background?
Here's the best no nonsense specs I could find but I'm not sure what
they all mean.
http://www.lyd-billed.dk/piz.asp?id=220&aID=8523
Thanks for your time.
Old November 13th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Cgiorgio

"dabhand" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I saw one of these at costco for $330 or such. Anyone with anything to
say about it who's actually used one? It has a Leica lens and they
make splendid binoculars so that's a good indication, right?
The package I saw has 7.2Mp and comes with 512MB memory, battery and
docking station charger, wires ect.
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 20 years. My last
camera was an entry level Pentax K1000 SLR and I'm wondering if
someone can answer a few questions about the newer technology.
I have a laptop pc with usb, firewire and wifi and an HP Officejet
5610xi All-in-One printer.

1) Can you do B&W with a digital camera?
Yes you can, but you can also shoot in colour and use an image editing
program to convert (just set color saturation to zero)

2) This is some kind of folded lens? Are there drawbacks to that
should concern anyone?

It takes some time to extend the lens after switching on the camera

3) It sounds like it does macro, wide angle, medium and telephoto
lengths. Is this correct?

talking in 35 mm equivalent focal lengths it goes from 28 .. 102 mm.
Panasonic has other cameras in their range going up to 12 x zoom.

4) We used to have various lens filters for color and effects- this is
all done in post with some kind of software now, correct? Any comments
on how they compare?

Except for polariser and UV filters, you can simulate filters in many image
editors.

5) Can you control the depth of field manually, to get a sharp focus
foreground and a diffuse background?

You have rather limited manual setting capabilities in this model, if you
want manual creative control, look for the FZ- series, you may also need a
longer focal length to get a noticeable effect for other than close-up
shots.

Here's the best no nonsense specs I could find but I'm not sure what
they all mean.
http://www.lyd-billed.dk/piz.asp?id=220&aID=8523

You can also download complete user manuals from Panasonic websites (for
example Panasonic.co.uk) under "Support".

Thanks for your time.

Old November 17th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
RichG

For almost the same $$$ you can buy Canon; Nikon; Sony; Kodak AND Panasonic
digital cameras with 12 x telephoto; full manual OR auto controls; and 6
mgp.

I happen to own the Sony DSC-H2 (Carl Zeiss lens) but ....putting the
particular manufacturer aside...I think that the 12 x telephoto is the BEST
choice.... I ....could possibly have made in that price range. It is
amazing how quickly I can get "into" a scene, even though I might be up in
the stands at a football game, or still in the car trying to get a shot of a
deer standing near-by.

I, like you, also just returned to active picture taking and, obviously,
like this choice a little bit better...for under $400.00 brand new. A
number of these cameras are on display at your local Wal-Mart. Pick a few
up and see if they fit your needs.

regards, RichG

Advice needed Paul Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 4 October 30th 06 08:07 PM
Advice needed Kiwiski Digital SLR Cameras 7 July 19th 06 04:40 AM
Advice needed John Digital Photography 0 June 26th 06 03:29 AM
To buy D-70 Advice needed C.M.G. 35mm Photo Equipment 48 November 28th 04 04:47 PM
advice needed please [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 6 July 1st 04 04:38 PM