Backup Advice wanted

Old August 27th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Backup Advice wanted

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Well, I still have my first computer ("Pionex" 486 DX2/66MHz).
| It went about ten years without use, but, its hard drive remains
| fully functional.

That's good. They often last for many years, but
the expected typical lifespan is 5. Though I've seen
various studies saying different things. The fact that
it's moving parts and the memory is electromagnetic
makes me suspicious of trusting them as any kind of
backup.

yet you choose optical discs, a *less* reliable medium.
Old August 27th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-27 00:37:43 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/26/2014 4:24 PM, HerHusband wrote:
To keep water from running out of the wall I need a valve.
Yet my electricity does not flow out of the wall, but their is no valve.

Air is basically acting as your "valve". Air is not a good conductor, so
the electricity is prevented from flowing out of the wall. If the room was
filled with salt water instead of air, electricity would flow out of the
wall outlet.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

I know. I guess my joke fell flat.

....but you got a charge out of it.

Savageduck

Old August 27th 14, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-08-27 00:37:43 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/26/2014 4:24 PM, HerHusband wrote:
To keep water from running out of the wall I need a valve.
Yet my electricity does not flow out of the wall, but their is no
valve.

Air is basically acting as your "valve". Air is not a good
conductor, so
the electricity is prevented from flowing out of the wall. If the
room was
filled with salt water instead of air, electricity would flow out of the
wall outlet.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

I know. I guess my joke fell flat.

...but you got a charge out of it.

I saw no shocking responses.

--
PeterN
Old August 27th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2014-08-27 00:37:43 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/26/2014 4:24 PM, HerHusband wrote:
To keep water from running out of the wall I need a valve.
Yet my electricity does not flow out of the wall, but their is no
valve.

Air is basically acting as your "valve". Air is not a good
conductor, so
the electricity is prevented from flowing out of the wall. If the
room was
filled with salt water instead of air, electricity would flow out of
the
wall outlet.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

I know. I guess my joke fell flat.

...but you got a charge out of it.

I saw no shocking responses.

Dare say, all our surge protectors were underwhelmed.
==
L...
RC
Old August 27th 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-08-27 00:37:43 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I use Scothguard as a serge protector.

--
PeterN
Old August 27th 14, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
HerHusband

John,

I still have my first computer ("Pionex" 486 DX2/66MHz).
It went about ten years without use, but, its hard drive remains
fully functional.

I still have my first computer that I bought back in the early 80's. Back
then, I was the only kid in class nerdy enough to have my own personal
computer.

It was an "Interact Model 1" with a whopping 16K of RAM, a cassette tape
deck for data storage, and it connected to a TV as a monitor:

http://oldcomputers.net/interact.html

I booted it up a couple years ago for old times sake and it still worked
fine.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Old August 27th 14, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/27/2014 8:04 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

snip

Also I wouldn't use my credit card in an unknown small shop or bar especailly in a foreign contry, too many clever scamers about.

I have a separate prepaid card I use for small Internet purchases. It is
issued by a different bank than I normally use. I keep a small balance
in that bank, and when making a purchase I pay enough to cover.
If the card and account is compromised, no big deal.

--
PeterN