Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

Old May 23rd 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Scott W

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

On May 22, 6:31 pm, Wayne wrote:
In article .com,
says...

I have to take issue with this, the advantage of a higher end DSLR is
not mainly about features but performance, works in lower light,
faster auto-focus, faster shot to shot time, better looking photos
etc. In fact it seems to be the small point and shoot cameras that
are loaded with features.

Semantics... performance features are features, which we may choose to
purchase. Features may just be buttons or menus to you, but I'd define
features as the prominent characteristics of the camera, particularly the
differences to other cameras. Size and weight and color are features.

But you were saying before that what you got for more money was
features and that if a person was not going to use these features then
it was a waste to spend money on them. But anybody using a better
performing camera will benefit from it. If for example you are
counting low noise as a feature (which I would not) then low noise
photos are a good thing for anyone using the camera, it would be hard
not to make use of this "feature".

Scott

Old May 23rd 07, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Cats

On May 22, 2:55 pm, ASAAR wrote:
snip
The 3mp
Canon Powershot is just too limited in features (nothing but full
Auto mode, and poor battery life).

My 3mp Powershot (A70) has quite a few shooting modes including a
manual one, and battery life is greatly improved when the LCD on the
back is turned off.

Old May 23rd 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Cats

On May 22, 12:34 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"harrogate3" wrote in message

You know, whenever I see something about the race for pixels it always
brings back to mind that famous and similarly related statement years
ago by Uncle Bill Gates:-
"640K of memory is enough for anyone."

Says it all really....................

It was true at the time.
Inefficient languages had yet to be developed.

snip

It's those 'inefficient' languages that have helped up the ante of
what a PC will do, alongside the huge drop in the cost of components.
The usage of resources in modern languages may be poor, but the usage
of resource in programming terms is *very* efficient compared to
assembler languages.

Old May 23rd 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Geoff Berrow wrote:
following:

It is not because it may become obsolete, any will, but it still should do
everything in ten years that it does now. We all know people still quite
happy with 1 or 2 megapixels because they never print anything. 3 or 4
megapixels will print 4x6 inches, and 6 or 8 megapixels will print 8x10
inches. Few of us have any use for more megapixels. But if you need more,
you should buy more.

I've enlarged 6.1 megapixels very successfully to 20 x 16.(Nikon D70)
In fact, the resolution of the lens becomes apparent before pixels are
noticeable so if you need more pixels, you also need better lenses

Indeed, increasing the number of pixels, beyond a certain level is a
waste of time if the lens isn't good enough to take advantage of the
increased resolution. That's why the cameras with a lot of pixels cost
more. The current trend to cameras with 12 mp or more in a compact P&S
camera are probably a waste of money as the lenses aren't likely to be
up to the task.
Old May 23rd 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
jeremy

"Allen" wrote in message

Nobody seems to have responded with the reason many of us don't buy DSLRs:
we buy what we can afford. I would love to have a DSLR with a collection
of lenses and accessories, but I get along with my S3 IS. When medical
expenses go down, gasoline goes down etc I will get a DSLR. But in the
meantime I enjoy what I have.
Allen

Have you considered getting a film scanner, and continuing to use your film
cameras and lenses for image capture?

Especially if you have several bodies, the film scanner turns them, in a
sense, into "digital cameras."

For me, the appeal of digital is in the editing, not necessarily in the
image capture phase.

Old May 24th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

jeremy wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
Nobody seems to have responded with the reason many of us don't buy DSLRs:
we buy what we can afford. I would love to have a DSLR with a collection
of lenses and accessories, but I get along with my S3 IS. When medical
expenses go down, gasoline goes down etc I will get a DSLR. But in the
meantime I enjoy what I have.
Allen

Have you considered getting a film scanner, and continuing to use your film
cameras and lenses for image capture?

Especially if you have several bodies, the film scanner turns them, in a
sense, into "digital cameras."

For me, the appeal of digital is in the editing, not necessarily in the
image capture phase.

I have scanned hundreds of my old film pictures, and not ONE of them
looks as good as any of my digital camera's pictures. Scanning is a
very poor substitute for the 'real thing'. For me, the appeal of
digital is the reduced cost, and hassle, over film. I doubt I will ever
remove my film camera from the drawer for any purpose than nostalgia in
the future.
Old May 24th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Trev

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
jeremy wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message

I have scanned hundreds of my old film pictures, and not ONE of them looks
as good as any of my digital camera's pictures. Scanning is a very poor
substitute for the 'real thing'. For me, the appeal of digital is the
reduced cost, and hassle, over film. I doubt I will ever remove my film
camera from the drawer for any purpose than nostalgia in the future.

I will not be going back to film But My first film scanner was the
Jessop's/Primafilm £100 job and even that did a good job if 8x6 is
acceptable. What did amaze me was the slides from my Helina 35 X where a lot
better then expected and nearly as good as the Minolta SRT shots