What color temperature to use for LCD monitor for photo editing?

Old July 7th 04, 07:32 AM
Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org

Default What color temperature to use for LCD monitor for photo editing?

I have an NEC LCD 1810x monitor. At 7500K, R, G and B are mixed equally
giving me a neutral white. I've been using this setting for photo and video
editing.
However, while reading several articles on monitor callibration, I found out
that the color setting for monitor for the purpose of hardware callibration
is recommended to be 6500K(?) which on my monitor gives a reddish cast.

I have some questions:

1. Do LCD monitors have different color temperatures for neutral white?
2. Must I change my monitor's temperature setting to do the callibration?

Many thanks for your help.

--
Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software
http://nutritionsoftware.org

Old July 7th 04, 08:31 AM
Roland Karlsson

"Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" nseditor2002 wrote
in m:

I have an NEC LCD 1810x monitor. At 7500K, R, G and B are mixed
equally giving me a neutral white. I've been using this setting for
photo and video editing.
However, while reading several articles on monitor callibration, I
found out that the color setting for monitor for the purpose of
hardware callibration is recommended to be 6500K(?) which on my
monitor gives a reddish cast.

What is neutral and what is a reddish cast can be
a matter of what you are used to. Some time ago I
callibrated my monitor, using a Spyder. At first I
thought that it was by far too red after callibration
and that the uncallibrated was neutral. Now, after
some months of using a callibrated monitor, I think that
maybe the monitor look a little warmish, but when I
turn off callibration it is definitely by far too green.

I have some questions:

1. Do LCD monitors have different color temperatures for neutral
white?

I would be surprised if they did not differ.

BTW - as I hinted above. There exist nothing called neutral
white for any monitor, lamp or any other device that radiates
light. A paper might be neutrla white. And the day monitors
work with reflected light we will remove one difficult variable
from color callibration.

2. Must I change my monitor's temperature setting to do the
callibration?

I am sorry to say that the only thing that worked for me was
to get a Spyder and callibrate the monitor. Before that I never
got the match I wanted between monitor and print. My monitor
contained by far too much green, so there was always a mismatch.
My pictures alwys turned out warmer on print than on the monitor,
now they don't.

Many thanks for your help.

/Roland