what beach precaution?

Old July 6th 04, 05:20 PM
leo

Default what beach precaution?

I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this, relatively
speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

Old July 6th 04, 05:50 PM
Frank ess

leo wrote:
I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to
beach. What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this,
relatively speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

Careful lens-cleaning after.

I have done a few beach-centered episodes with no deleterious
consequences to the camera. My ego took a beating because what I thought
I shot didn't correspond to what was on the CF card when I brought it
home. Dark day, long lens, fuzzy edges. Sigh.

My defense against sand was: stay off the sand. I couldn't do that
completely, but kept the camera at a five-foot or more elevation.

My defense against sea air was: one Martha Stewart™ dishtowel draped
over the entire camera whenever it was not in active use. Secured by a
couple of left-hand fingers and arranged by the right hand, it flipped
off easily and re-draped without a hitch. I started out with the hems'
open edge toward the camera and (mostly) continued that orientation.

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
—Deepak Gupta

Old July 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Bob Salomon

In article . net,
"leo" wrote:

I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this, relatively
speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

Put a UV or use a polarizing filter.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old July 6th 04, 07:37 PM
IMKen

I spend hours at the beach or out in a boat which is where 50% of the
thousands of photos I take with my D100 come from. I keep a clean towel
handy to periodically wipe down the camera body. I also have a camel hair
brush for dusting the body around the lens for frequent lens changes. I
worry about it and try to be careful but take the risk as I did purchase the
camera to photograph interesting things. If I were to resist beach
photography I would not own a camera. My cameras have on occasion had salt
spray on them and I have carefully wiped them down with the clean towel. So
far after 1.5 years of use there is no noticeable problem. Blowing sand is
a big concern but the camel hair brush has helped with removing that. I
have had the biggest problems keeping the camera clean when photographing
hot flowing lave that will create great gobs of airborne glass like
particles capable of seriously damaging lens coatings if not removed before
cleaning. Keep a protective filter in front of the actual lens glass at all
times.
I suspect that eventually there will be some corrosive effects as in my
older Nikon F's one of which I have used extensively for beach and way out
diving expeditions for the last 30 years. It still works and looks great
but a little white corrosion is visible around body screws.

My advise, use the camera but do take precautions in keeping it dry and
free of blowing sand. I do place my cameras in a closed Ice Chest with
ample supplies of silica gel to dry up any missed moisture.

I have never had trouble with any Nikon lens from growing fungus some are
over 30 years old, but All my expensive canon lenses failed after a year of
use do to internal fungus.

Ken

ink.net...

Old July 7th 04, 02:25 PM
BandHPhoto

I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
What precaution do I need to take?

Salt water is probably the #1 camera killer on Earth and dirt/sand is either 2
or 3. Care is warranted, and keeping your equipment dry is paramount. If you're
serious about this, an EwaMarine U-AXP flexible housing is a consideration.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com