Photo gallery contracts

Old November 20th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.technique.art

Default Photo gallery contracts

Hi there;

I have a question concerning folks' experience in arrangements with
galleries who want to show their work - I'm currently considering one, and
I'm inexperienced so advice/suggestions from your experience would be
appreciated. Proposed terms a

- 3 year exclusive on the prints for the gallery. I can do shows with other
work
- 50% of sales to the gallery - I pay for the printing out of my 50%
- gallery owner does the prints (giclee) and framing - prints are editioned
at 25 to 50 prints and 2 proofs - price on prints would be roughly what I
charge now at outdoor shows, but would climb as (if) the edition sells.

The timeframe seems excessive - what I've seen so far rooting through the
web is 30-90 days - typically the duration of the show.

I'd prefer to do the printing myself.

I'm inclined not to go for the offer, but I'm wondering if this is typical
practice.

Thanks
Chris Hutcheson
Chrishutcheson.com

Old November 22nd 05, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.technique.art

Chris Hutcheson wrote:

[...]

I have one that gives 60% if I do the prints in their lab,
another where I get 50% of the profit (subtract cost of making and framing
the print from the retail cost and take 50% of that).
I think this second one is the fairest. Both are non-exclusiveand
open ended.

Roger
Old November 22nd 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.technique.art

Chris,
I have one that gives 60% if I do the prints in their lab,
another where I get 50% of the profit (subtract cost of making and framing
the print from the retail cost and take 50% of that).
I think this second one is the fairest. Both are non-exclusiveand
open ended.

Roger

Thanks for the information! I'm more concerned about the duration of
exclusive access to the work than anything else. It seems excessive.