Panalure Select

Old November 7th 04, 05:03 AM
sreenath

Default Panalure Select

Hello all,

I have some Panalure selecct RC FM paper that I have been using
for making prints from b/w negatives. While I am pleased with the
quality of prints, I am having a big problem with some prints that
end up completely black.

My dark room is not really completely dark, but I have not been having
any problems with regular b/w paper, both RC and fiber.

Is Panalure really so fast that even a small amount of light leakage
can completely fog it? I have been unable to isolate the cause of this
problem. The light reflected from the paper as it is exposed is being
refected back from side wall. Can this be a problem?

Also, I am finding it very difficult to work without safelight.
Is there anythng at all that can be done?

Any tips/hints appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Sreenath
Old November 7th 04, 07:01 AM
Mike King

I used a bunch of this stuff when I worked for a studio. You can use a #10
or #13 safelight (about twice as bright as a #10) with this stuff just like
color paper. The Thomas safelight with the color filters also works well.
I suspect the Jobo and other LED safelights work, too. None of these
safelights is very bright but bright enough you can find the tray in the
dark and not trim your fingers in the paper cutter!

The stuff always seemed to be a little gray, even back when you could get it
in three contrast grades. But I never experienced the fog levels you
describe. It is pretty fast paper so test your setup for fogging
illumination.

--
darkroommike

----------
om...

Old November 7th 04, 08:03 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Arghh! Panalure is for B&W prints from color negatives. Considering that Kodak
has ended production of two of the three grades of this paper (the high (H) and
low (L) contrast, only the medium (M) contrast continuing), save it for color
negatives and use another paper for B&W negatives.

And yes, Panalure is panchromatic, just like film. It reacts to any light
whatsoever. You cannot use it with a safelight. Normal B&W paper is
orthochromatic, so that it is safe to use with a safelight.

As to working without a safelight, it is not that bad. You eventually get to
know your surroundings the way a blind person does. I can even pull (the
correct) chemicals off the shelves in the dark now.

Francis A. Miniter

Old November 9th 04, 05:07 PM
sreenath

I bought these sheets from eBay hoping I would make prints from color
negatives, and now have lost interest in that.

I found that this paper really has very good finish, and happens to be
cheapest paper I have bought so far- got a very good deal on eBay.
So I can use them for my regular b/w printing.

I have started to be more careful now with this paper. I keep it face
down all the time expect while exposing. Now I am getting good prints
with no fogging.

-Sreenath