Do you feel Lucky?

Old September 15th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Do you feel Lucky?

On 9/14/2008 7:14 PM John J spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 9/14/2008 3:48 PM John J spake thus:

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but
did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Who's film?

I dunno; are you film?

Oh, you meant "whose film"?

No, no! Who's on first base.

What's on second.

- Paulo Freire
Old September 15th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven J Masta

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Lucky is Chinese, they have a factory. I have heard
rumors that Kodak co-operated in setting it up but I don't
know for certain that its true. I suspect that they may have
the QC problems that seem to plague Chinese manufactured
goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Lucky_Film states that they started a
partnership in 2003 with Kodak providing an emulsion making line for
color film but then Kodak pulled out last year.

Steve
Old September 15th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article ,
Steven J Masta wrote:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Lucky is Chinese, they have a factory. I have heard
rumors that Kodak co-operated in setting it up but I don't
know for certain that its true. I suspect that they may have
the QC problems that seem to plague Chinese manufactured
goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Lucky_Film states that they started a
partnership in 2003 with Kodak providing an emulsion making line for
color film but then Kodak pulled out last year.

Steve

Lucky was affiliated or part of Fujimoto a Japanese company. I have a
brochure that shows the plant in Japan, with a clearly displayed "Lucky"
on the tallest of buildings, in said brochure all the Fujimoto stuff
enlargers etc were branded with Lucky on them.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 16th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 9/14/2008 3:39 PM Peter Irwin spake thus:

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw
their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have
bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

The film base is very clear, not grey. Grain is pretty
fine,
normal for a conventional 100 speed film - much finer
than Svema 100. The emulsion seems to get scratch marks
much more easily than modern capitalist films. I've never
had a problem
with Kodak, Ilford, Fuji or Agfa.

Ah, comrade, if you're getting scratches, the problem is
your capitalist camera, not the people's film.

I think this is meant to have a smiley on it but
seriously folks (as the man said) scratches CAN come from
coating machine or spooling problems. Some eastern European
films had this problem. Lack of hardness of the protective
overcoating may also contribute but I very strongly suspect
this is a coating problem.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old September 16th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw
their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have
bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth
persuing?

I bought 10 rolls of Lucky SHD-100 B&W film a few years
ago.

The best thing about the film is that it came in
reloadable
135 magazines which are better than the ones I've seen for
sale
lately. They might even be as good as the ones Kodak used
have before they started crimping the ends. These are well
made
and they come apart nicely in the darkroom when I give the
knob
a firm tap on the table. (The ones from Maco are not
nearly as nice.)

The film base is very clear, not grey. Grain is pretty
fine,
normal for a conventional 100 speed film - much finer than
Svema 100. The emulsion seems to get scratch marks much
more
easily than modern capitalist films. I've never had a
problem
with Kodak, Ilford, Fuji or Agfa.

Peter.
--

If you are referring to 35mm B&W film being on a clear
base it may be that Lucky is coating an anti-halation

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old September 16th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Roman J. Rohleder

"Richard Knoppow" schrieb:
"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

The film base is very clear, not grey.

If you are referring to 35mm B&W film being on a clear
base it may be that Lucky is coating an anti-halation
coating under the emulsion.

They are not. And it´s the main flaw I found with these films.

The location of the coating makes it
function as an anti-light-piping coating as well eliminating
the need for pigmenting the support.

A friend of mine demonstrated that you could read a newspaper through
the undeveloped film

Worse is the photographic result - the lack of a anti-halation coating
(AHU) contributes to halos and an overall unsharp appearance of the
negativ under certain lighting conditions - like with a glaring piece
of chrome or metal or the sun within the frame.

Kodak pulled out of the Joint venture with Lucky some time ago.

Gruss,
Roman
--
"An MDCCCXII/Mémorable par la campagne contre les Russes/
Sous le préfectura de Jules Doazan."
Old September 16th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/16/2008 5:39 AM Roman J. Rohleder spake thus:

"Richard Knoppow" schrieb:

If you are referring to 35mm B&W film being on a clear
base it may be that Lucky is coating an anti-halation
coating under the emulsion.

They are not. And it´s the main flaw I found with these films.

The location of the coating makes it
function as an anti-light-piping coating as well eliminating
the need for pigmenting the support.

A friend of mine demonstrated that you could read a newspaper through
the undeveloped film

Worse is the photographic result - the lack of a anti-halation coating
(AHU) contributes to halos and an overall unsharp appearance of the
negativ under certain lighting conditions - like with a glaring piece
of chrome or metal or the sun within the frame.

Hmm; sounds like while the film may not be good for typical pictoral
rendition, it might be suitable for arty shots that exploit such flaws.
Would be interesting to see what the results are shooting such a scene
with bright spots.

- Paulo Freire
Old September 16th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Hmm; sounds like while the film may not be good for typical pictoral
rendition, it might be suitable for arty shots that exploit such flaws.
Would be interesting to see what the results are shooting such a scene
with bright spots.

I was thinking that too. If I wanted a shot that looked like a digital
shot, I would use a digital camera. I for one, want the "look" of film,
and if this gave me an interesting look, I'd want to try it.

That's why I loved Ektar 25, it portrayed the late afternoon November light
in Philly far better than anything else.

Here the light is always that sharp and clear, and I miss it.

If the Lucky film would do something interesting with highlights, I'd love
to try it.

Geoff.

Old September 16th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Michael wrote:
Two things. First, Kodak is reintroducing Ektar film next month as ISO
100 and the Ultra line will be deep sixed. They claim it is a
legitimate descendant of the old Ektar films including 25.

Thanks, that's why I brought it up. We've discussed this and I stated
my love of it before they announced it. I'm saving my pennies for
it as soon as it gets here, if it does.

Second, is the Lucky of Lucky film any relation to the Lucky of "Lucky
Goldstar" aka LG of electronics fame?

No. LG is a Korean Company. Lucky is Chinese and totaly unrelated.

http://221.194.46.195/eng/index.html

Geoff.