Diluted D-76 & Imporved D-76 at dilution

Old December 4th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Diluted D-76 & Imporved D-76 at dilution

"Keith Tapscott."
wrote in message

In the British Photographic Almanac 1957, the D-76d
formula (also known
as Ilford ID-166) was the developer used to compare some
of the then,
new PQ fine-grain developers designed by Kendall and
Axford which led
to the introduction of Ilford Microphen.

The MQ buffered-borax developer lost activity and
effective film speed
quickly when KBr was was raised above 0.25 grams per litre
of
stock-solution. Developers such as Ilford ID-68 and
Microphen had good
stability and working capacity with negligible loss of
film speed
compared to the MQ developer with reuse and with minimal
increase in
graininess compared to D-76d.

Unfortunately, Ilford discontinued Microphen replenisher a
long time
ago. Ilford DD designed for Dip & Dunk processors and it`s
amateur
variant DDX are buffered-borax developers which fully
exploit film
speed. Perhaps in the fullness of time, these developers
will remain
while Microphen might be discontinued.
Xtol is an interesting alternative to D-76 and Microphen.
It would be
nice if Kodak designed a liquid concentrate similar to DDX
based on
their Xtol formula.

--
Keith Tapscott.

I have never heard of this before Kendall and Axford are
well recognized photo scientists. Do you have a citation to
this work? In the old D-76 paper it was found that about
0.25 gram of bromide suppressed the slight fog typical of
_fresh_ D-76 resulting in a slight increase in film speed.
As far as reliability and activity is concerned remember
that buffered D-76 used with replenishment was a standard
developer for motion picture negative development for many
years. It would not have been if not reliable.
Adding bromide does lose film speed but does not affect
devloper activity, they are different functions.
Microphen is essentially buffered D-76 with Phenidone
substituted for metol and adjustments made for the required
pH. It requires some bromide due to the propensity of
Phenidone to produce fog. However, benzotriazole is more
effective because the anti-fog property of bromide is not
very effective with Phenidone. Microphen is not quite the
same as the published formula, for one thing it has a
different pH.
D-23 will mostly duplicate the results of D-76 as far as
film speed and grain but is not as long lived and can not be
replenished as long as D-76. The mutually regenerative
effects of metol and hyroquinone in D-76 extend its useful
life considerably.
I don't understand why you found development times with
buffered D-76 so long. It has the same activity and pH as
fresh standard D-76. The comparisons were done long ago by
Crabreee, et.al. in their 1929 paper.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old December 4th 09, 04:22 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Knoppow View Post

I have never heard of this before, Kendall and Axford are
well recognized photo scientists.
(1) Do you have a citation to this work?

(2) In the old D-76 paper it was found that about
0.25 gram of bromide suppressed the slight fog typical of
_fresh_ D-76 resulting in a slight increase in film speed.

As far as reliability and activity is concerned remember
that buffered D-76 used with replenishment was a standard
developer for motion picture negative development for many
years. It would not have been if not reliable.
Adding bromide does lose film speed but does not affect
devloper activity, they are different functions.

Microphen is essentially buffered D-76 with Phenidone
substituted for metol and adjustments made for the required
pH. It requires some bromide due to the propensity of
Phenidone to produce fog.

(3) However, benzotriazole is more
effective because the anti-fog property of bromide is not
very effective with Phenidone. Microphen is not quite the
same as the published formula, for one thing it has a
different pH.

(4) D-23 will mostly duplicate the results of D-76 as far as
film speed and grain but is not as long lived and can not be
replenished as long as D-76. The mutually regenerative
effects of metol and hyroquinone in D-76 extend its useful
life considerably.

(5)I don't understand why you found development times with
buffered D-76 so long. It has the same activity and pH as
fresh standard D-76.

The comparisons were done long ago by
Crabreee, et.al. in their 1929 paper.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
(1) Yes, I will look for the book and post the citations here.

(2) I believe that Kodak call D-76d with 0.25 gram of KBr, SD-21. D-76d is said to cause higher base-fog than standard D-76/ID-11.

(3) I don`t think the benzotriazole is required in Microphen types, due to their low-moderate pH. BZT is often used in PQ enlarging-paper developers, along with KBr.

(4) D-23 is a very effective developer, there is a photographer over on APUG who uses D-23 replenished and claims to keep it working over several months before discarding the old stuff. I have also seen some good enlargements made with D-23 processed negatives.

(5) I don`t understand why the times for D-76d are longer either, but they are. The film I used was HP5 Plus in D-76d diluted 1+1 and the negatives were very flat. I gave the time I normally use with packaged D-76.

However, the standard formula gave excellent negatives at the same dilution. If Kodak are using a different way of buffering than just borax or with borax+boric acid, then they must have found a way to make the times the same as the standard formula. That is not to say D-76d is a bad formula, as long as a suitable time can be found through experiment. I think it might be better to use D-76d only at full-strength. Even then, I suspect that the times will be closer to the basic formula when that is diluted 1+1.

What ever is going on with Kodak`s packaged D-76, then it is matching the basic developer for times. D-76d is behaving very differently from my own trial with it. Any idea why?

Richard, do you have any raw chemicals of your own to experiment with?
I ask because it would be interesting to compare your findings with mine. The chemicals I have were bought from Rayco in the UK, although Silverprint in London are now the main suppliers now that Rayco has ceased trading.

Also, is it OK to contact you by PM or the email you have with your signature?

Keith.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott. : December 4th 09 at 04:26 PM.
Old December 4th 09, 05:28 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

On the subject of buffering with borax or borax+boric acid, this thread may be of interest. There is also a post there by Ian Grant where he provides the formula for the Wellington Borax MQ developer which is actually an older formula than D-76. As Kodalk, wasn`t around back then, think of the formula as being D-50, the forerunner to DK-50.
Ian has worked as a chemical analyst and has an excellent source of photo-formulae..

Borax Project.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott. : December 17th 09 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 4th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Keith Tapscott."
wrote in message

Richard Knoppow;848532 Wrote:

[...]

The answer to the last question is yes, its OK but you
will get a challenge message from the spam blocker at
Earthlink/Netcom. I will unblock you.
I have a few chemicals but my source for many years,
Tri-S Sciences, closed a couple of years ago and I have not
found a replacement although I could get most of the stuff
from Photographer's Formulary. I do have the necessary
equipment to mix stuff, a couple of good scales and the
glassware.
It would be interesting to know the actual pH of mixed
developers. According to Ryuji Suzuki measuring pH of
photographic developers is not trivial partly because the
solutions tend to destroy some types of pH meters.
Packaged D-76 is not the same as the published formula.
For one thing it is modified so that the metol can be
included in the same package as the sulfite. I don't know
how Kodak does this. It also uses boric anhydride which I
believe becomes boric acid in solution.
Original D-76 also causes a slight fog when fresh. When
re-used enough bromide is leached from the film to suppress
this. The 1929 paper shows that a small amount of bromide,
0.5 gram per liter, suppresses this in the fresh developer.
The smaller amount in the Kodak special developer may be
closer to optimum. AGFA also added the bromide to Agfa-17,
their version of D-76 which also has closer to the optimum
amount of sulfite, 85 grams per liter. For reference here is
the formula:
Agfa-17
Water (at about 125F or 52C) 750.0 ml
Metol 1.5 grams
Sodium sulfite, desiccated 80.0 grams
Hydroquinone 3.0 grams
Borax, granular 3.0 grams
Potsasium bromide 0.5 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

I also found that AGFA had a metaborate version of this
formula. Its identical to the above but has 2.0 grams per
liter of Sodium Metaborate instead of the 3.0 grams of
Borax. Kodak also published a Kodalk version of D-76 called
DK-76, again identical to the original formula but with 2
grams of Kodalk in place of the borax. At the time the
metaborate was supposed to be a better buffer than borax but
evidently it isn't.

I think you are right about the use of bromide rather
than benzotriazole in Microphen. Anti-fog chemicals are most
effective at different pH.