Poor prints from Photoshop CS2

Old October 28th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.art,uk.rec.photo.misc
Luis Ortega

Default Poor prints from Photoshop CS2

Thanks guys,
I am in UK and I can select European prepress in PSCS2.
I did a monitor calibration with my Spyder hardware and then a printer
profile and some tests.
Interestingly, the differences between US and European prepress are
indistinguishable to my eyes and my wife's as well.
But the differences between using PSCS2 and letting the printer do colour
management did show some differences. We tended to agree that letting the
printer do colour management produced somewhat stronger results. When PSCS2
does colour management (with the correct printer profile entered) the prints
are just slightly lighter and softer. With the printer handling colour
management on automatic the prints are a tiny bit richer in colour and
slightly darker in the shadow tones. I assume that going to windows and
telling it to install the latest profile created makes it use my profile
instead of the generic epson photo 700 profile that came with windoes, but
I'm not sure.
We also realized that unless we have a good exposure on the original photo,
things are much harder to get looking nice, even if we can tweak the photo
in PSCS2.
The differences between letting PSCS2 and the printer do colour management
are very slight with a good photo.
This surprised me as I though that PSCS2 would be better at printing than my
older epson photo 700.
Does anyone think that getting one of the newer printers, say the epson
photo 340, will improve the ability to colour manage as opposed to finer
resolution images or not.
Thanks for all the advice offered.

"Chris Hills" wrote in message
In message .com, ben
writes
my suggestion is use correct settint in photoshop , printer driver
and using correct icc profile in your printer . then you can get pro
result . otherwise printing form photoshop is
merely a headache . here are some suggestions to setup photoshop
How to setup photoshop
select edit color settings
1.select "north America prepress 2" in settings

WRONG

From OP's header:-
Newsgroups: alt. photography, rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.technique.art,
uk.rec.photo.misc
Subject: Poor prints from Photoshop CS2
From: Luis Ortega

This was copied to UK.rec.photo.misc and as NTLWorld is a UK ISP why
would he want to set a US setting?

2.working spaces :
a)rgb : adobe rgb (1998)
b)cmyk: u.s web coated (swop) v2

Wrong again.. OP not in US......

/\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Old October 28th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.art,uk.rec.photo.misc
Newsgroup User

Luis Ortega wrote:
Printing from Photoshop CS2 has become a real headache.
All of the prints are too dark

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 913n and my printer is an Epson Photo
700, and I run Win XP SP2 and use Epson glossy photo paper

Check your printer driver and update as needed. I remember reading at
dpreview that MS Broke Clolorsync profiles in XP SP2 and that caused a
lot of Epson users grief with prints from PSCS2. Supposedly an updated
driver or profile fixes it.