More than 2 ad-hoc nodes?

Old July 7th 04, 03:03 PM
Bruce Chastain

Default More than 2 ad-hoc nodes?

I have a question about 802.11g ad-hoc mode. Everything I read refers to
ad-hoc mode as point-to-point, implying that only 2 computers can be so
networked. But I've also seen diagrams implying that an ad-hoc network can
be expanded beyond 2 nodes (no AP), using more than 2 ad-hoc nodes.

So what happens if there are 3 computers with a 802.11g ad-hoc, all
configured with the same SSID? Will all 3 be able to see and talk to each
other without having to disconnect from one and connect with the other? A
with B with C?

Or is 3 computers (one adhoc device per computer) with the same ad-hoc SSID
(within range of each other and on the same channel) illegal?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Old July 7th 04, 03:16 PM
David J Taylor

"Bruce Chastain" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a question about 802.11g ad-hoc mode. Everything I read refers

ad-hoc mode as point-to-point, implying that only 2 computers can be so
networked. But I've also seen diagrams implying that an ad-hoc network

can
be expanded beyond 2 nodes (no AP), using more than 2 ad-hoc nodes.

Bruce,

I use the 2-node ad-hoc mode, but I can't help with your question.
rec.photo.digital probably isn't where you meant to post your enquiry!

Cheers,
David

Old July 7th 04, 03:18 PM
Bruce Chastain

I use the 2-node ad-hoc mode, but I can't help with your question.
rec.photo.digital probably isn't where you meant to post your enquiry!

Whoops. Sorry. Wrong group.

Bruce.