need advice on getting photos printed large/canvas

Old May 2nd 08, 02:52 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

Default need advice on getting photos printed large/canvas

My brother has taken a photo (timer and tripod) while on his
honeymoon recently. He really likes it and is intending to get
it enlarged and printed on canvas or something. I really like it
too, it's pretty bloody good.

I've had a bit of an edit of it. It's 3504x2336px full size, the
crops are smaller obviously.

I understand that photo quality prints are around 300ppi, or you
can increase the size of prints a little and may not lose too
much quality.

But I think he really wants this thing blown up, like 1 metre
wide or something. I'm concerned it may come out pixelated or
something.

Will it?

If so, can I scale the image up and do something so that it
doesn't print pixelated? Maybe blur it slightly to take out
pixelation?

What max size would you recommend? I think he just intends
hanging it on his wall, not an art gallery

Any other recommendations?

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.

Old May 2nd 08, 03:47 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dell[_2_]

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
[...]

If the pictures are good you have more than enough pixels. I have made some
really good 30"X40" prints on canvas for 4MP files from a Cannon 410 elf.
(all I had available at the moment)

First you need good pictures. Then clean them up using a good photo editor
(Photoshop Elements or CS3 recommended).

When you are happy with the print send email them to a firm like EZPrints
http://ezprints.mye-pix.com/ezdirect/products.asp
Remember canvas works best with large objects and bold colors.
Also, don't worry too much about grain, large prints are meant to be viewed
from some distance.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* That Rich wrote:
On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:52:12 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:

I understand that photo quality prints are around 300ppi, or you
can increase the size of prints a little and may not lose too
much quality.

But I think he really wants this thing blown up, like 1 metre
wide or something. I'm concerned it may come out pixelated or
something.

Will it?

If so, can I scale the image up and do something so that it
doesn't print pixelated? Maybe blur it slightly to take out
pixelation?

What max size would you recommend? I think he just intends
hanging it on his wall, not an art gallery

Any other recommendations?

I've had great results using _genuine fractals_ to upsize my files.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Thanks mate. Not sure if he's willing to spend that sort of
money on software for a one-off print, but I'll mention it to him

Old May 2nd 08, 04:19 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* Paul Furman wrote:

Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

To the photo? Thought about that after I sent the other one. I
won't post the full sized ones, but here's some reduced for web
ones.

Here's the original he sent me:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/ausphoto/IMG_9434.JPG

My edit:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-full.jpg

Some crops I tried:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-pano.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop1.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop2.jpg

What do you think of the edit? Ok? Change anything?

Old May 2nd 08, 04:21 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* Dell wrote:

[...]

By "clean them up" - do you enlarge them in CS3? Or just leave
them at their original size and do your "normal" post-processing?

When you are happy with the print send email them to a firm like EZPrints
http://ezprints.mye-pix.com/ezdirect/products.asp
Remember canvas works best with large objects and bold colors.
Also, don't worry too much about grain, large prints are meant to be viewed
from some distance.

Thanks mate. I'm in Australia, but I get your point. I think

Old May 2nd 08, 04:47 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* Rudy Benner wrote:

[...]

I like it, but I would do some adjustment, shadows/highlights and saturation

http://rudybenner.com/utility/IMG_9434_copy.jpg

Thanks Rudy!

Old May 2nd 08, 04:49 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* Annika1980 wrote:
Michael Reichmann has a video tutorial with Jeff Schewe ("From
Camera to Print") that has an entire chapter devoted to
resolution questions like you are asking. Here are some points
made in that video:

Upressing to 200% usually is not a problem. With a good
capture (tripod, good lens, etc.) 400% is possible. If you
upres in CS3 then use "Bicubic Smoother." However, the real key
in upressing files is to properly sharpen them. The best tool
for this is Photokit Sharpener (I can vouch for this one).

Viewing distance determines the needed resolution. At viewing
distances over 24" 180ppi is sufficient. The "normal" viewing
distance is twice the diameter of the pic.

For the photo you mentioned I would probably upres to 200%,
preferably in Camera Raw. Then I would sharpen to taste.

Thanks Brett. I'll search into that. Unfortunately he doesn't
use RAW - only got that original JPG. I try to tell him...

Old May 2nd 08, 06:52 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Troy Piggins wrote:

Here's the original he sent me:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/ausphoto/IMG_9434.JPG

My edit:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-full.jpg

Some crops I tried:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-pano.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop1.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop2.jpg

What do you think of the edit? Ok? Change anything?

crop2 has an enhanced feeling of intimacy for me.

The horizon is level but the back of the seat isn't quite - worth a touch of
perspective correction?

I'd love to see a shot from a foot higher POV. That would stop the huts
shooting out of their heads, and would show what the disembodied glass is
standing on. Better with the glass cloned out?

The way his hand fits behind that cushion makes it look at a glance like he
has his hand down her top. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a nit-pick
of the raw material. :-)

Old May 2nd 08, 07:07 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* Wilba wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:

Here's the original he sent me:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/ausphoto/IMG_9434.JPG

My edit:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-full.jpg

Some crops I tried:
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho..._9434-pano.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop1.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/images/auspho...9434-crop2.jpg

What do you think of the edit? Ok? Change anything?

crop2 has an enhanced feeling of intimacy for me.

Yeah, I thought so too. That's why I did that crop. But maybe
it will make enlarging even more of an issue...

The horizon is level but the back of the seat isn't quite - worth a touch of
perspective correction?

Good point. Will look at that.

I'd love to see a shot from a foot higher POV. That would stop the huts
shooting out of their heads, and would show what the disembodied glass is
standing on. Better with the glass cloned out?

I'll ask him if he likes it or wants it gone. I kind of liked it
- adds to the relaxed island feel maybe?

The way his hand fits behind that cushion makes it look at a glance like he
has his hand down her top. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a nit-pick
of the raw material. :-)

Well they /were/ on their honeymoon!

Thanks for the comments Wilba!