Pupating Vanessa carduii - Painted Lady

Old May 31st 10, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Pupating Vanessa carduii - Painted Lady

I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready to
leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew on,
then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/
Old May 31st 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph, then
found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready to leave,
so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew on, then it
pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Old May 31st 10, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Tim Conway wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready
to leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew
on, then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Yeah isn't that amazing? It only took a few minutes, the day after it
latched on to that leaf. It should hatch as a butterfly in about a week.
Old May 31st 10, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

Tim Conway wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready to
leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew on,
then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Yeah isn't that amazing? It only took a few minutes, the day after it
latched on to that leaf. It should hatch as a butterfly in about a week.

cool. I hope you can capture it when it comes out.

Old May 31st 10, 09:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C.P. Robbins

On Sun, 30 May 2010 23:36:40 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

Tim Conway wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready
to leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew
on, then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Yeah isn't that amazing? It only took a few minutes, the day after it
latched on to that leaf. It should hatch as a butterfly in about a week.

1. Ruined by having to use artificial lighting.

2. Subject not in focus from too shallow DOF.

3. Subject blurred from too slow shutter speed.

4. Oversaturated.

5. A nature event like this lends itself better to videography than
still-frame photography.

6. That's what you get for still trying to use a DSLR for subjects like
this.

7. That's okay if you never learn, it will always make everyone that knows
how to use cameras properly look SO much better.

8. How old are you now and how many years have you tried to use cameras?

9. Isn't it about time you gave up?

10. It's not working for you, at all.

Old May 31st 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

Meow!

Good choice of subject though.

Old May 31st 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph, then
found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready to leave,
so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew on, then it
pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fascinating series. well done.

Hope you get the moth.

--
Peter

Old May 31st 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

C.P. Robbins wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Tim Conway wrote:
Paul Furman wrote

I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready
to leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew
on, then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Yeah isn't that amazing? It only took [two] minutes, the day after it
latched on to that leaf. It should hatch as a butterfly in about a week.

1. Ruined by having to use artificial lighting.
4. Oversaturated.

Window light diffused across the room with an incandescent light from
below gave odd white balance but I actually like it this way, it adds
drama g. There's a lot of color and mood with the green reflecting
onto parts of the little beast facing the leaf.

2. Subject not in focus from too shallow DOF.
3. Subject blurred from too slow shutter speed.
5. A nature event like this lends itself better to videography than
still-frame photography.

I like the motion blur. I took still focus stacked shots before and
after. Is this enough detail for you?:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...60591/sizes/o/
How would you do that size and detail on a P&S?
Here's a manual stack of 3 frames at the same settings as the sequence
above; 125mm, ISO 1600, f/4, 1/20 sec:
Extremely difficult to shoot because it never stops squirming so no long
shutter speeds allowed.

It would have been nearly impossible to do outdoors in the wind and I
would have had to camp out there for 2 days waiting for the moment. I do
wish I'd had more light. Not sure if a flash would've kept up as I
wanted to catch it transitioning over to the new attachment, which I
didn't really get perfectly. I could have presented it as a video but
other time lapse sequences I saw have an awkward jerky movement and it's
so baffling I wanted to go back & see the other frames, with no way to
compare side by side, so this was a very intentional and IMO successful
way to show it. Besides, it would've been an awfully boring 2 minute
video although yeah then I would have got the switch over perfect.

8. How old are you now and how many years have you tried to use cameras?

46 years old, so 36 years at it, though I only really got back into it
heavily about 5 years ago.
Old June 1st 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C.P. Robbins

On Mon, 31 May 2010 14:19:33 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

C.P. Robbins wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Tim Conway wrote:
Paul Furman wrote

I was gathering some flowers in the garden to bring back & photograph,
then found this caterpillar crawling on my camera bag as I was ready
to leave, so brought it back with an appropriate host plant to chew
on, then it pupated for us:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...61145/sizes/o/

Fantastic! you're lucky.

Yeah isn't that amazing? It only took [two] minutes, the day after it
latched on to that leaf. It should hatch as a butterfly in about a week.

1. Ruined by having to use artificial lighting.
4. Oversaturated.

Window light diffused across the room with an incandescent light from
below gave odd white balance

Which is glaringly obvious to anyone who has seen things like this in real
life. Distracting and detracting from the subject which is interesting all
by itself, if presented in natural lighting. Why do you think that was the
very first thing I noticed, even more distracting than the too-shallow DOF
blurs.

but I actually like it this way, it adds
drama g. There's a lot of color and mood with the green reflecting
onto parts of the little beast facing the leaf.

2. Subject not in focus from too shallow DOF.
3. Subject blurred from too slow shutter speed.
5. A nature event like this lends itself better to videography than
still-frame photography.

I like the motion blur. I took still focus stacked shots before and
after. Is this enough detail for you?:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...60591/sizes/o/
How would you do that size and detail on a P&S?

In one handheld available-light shot, so it wouldn't look like a preserved
specimen in a lab-stage setting.

Are you starting to understand why nothing that you DSLR-Trolls have ever
posted has ever impressed me.

Here's a manual stack of 3 frames at the same settings as the sequence
above; 125mm, ISO 1600, f/4, 1/20 sec:
Extremely difficult to shoot because it never stops squirming so no long
shutter speeds allowed.

It would have been nearly impossible to do outdoors in the wind and I
would have had to camp out there for 2 days waiting for the moment. I do
wish I'd had more light. Not sure if a flash would've kept up

Flash often destroys insect photos because of its power and spectrum. It
will frequently reach too far into the exoskeleton and reveal unnatural
looking shadings and colors. Fluorescence is also an issue. Some species
can even be misidentified from flash photography due to these problems
caused by its use. I can tell when flash is used on insect photography from
a mile away. I've yet to see even one macrophoto of an insect taken with
flash that is pleasing to look at. Unfortunately, due to so many using
DSLRs for insect macrophotography, the world is flooded with crappy photos
of this nature due to them requiring flash because of their hardware's
severe shallow DOF, aperture, and focal-length limitations. Even worse
(yes, it's possible), are insect and other nature macrophotos taken with a
ring-flash. Whoever first decided that that's the equipment to use for
nature macrophotography should be drawn and quartered, as well as every
other idiot that has followed in that fool's wake of disaster.

as I
wanted to catch it transitioning over to the new attachment, which I
didn't really get perfectly. I could have presented it as a video but
other time lapse sequences I saw have an awkward jerky movement and it's
so baffling I wanted to go back & see the other frames, with no way to
compare side by side, so this was a very intentional and IMO successful
way to show it. Besides, it would've been an awfully boring 2 minute
video although yeah then I would have got the switch over perfect.

And there was a stone in your show, your racket was missing a string, your
girdle was too tight, you forgot your glasses, you were depressed over the
economy ... yadda yadda yadda.

Are you ready for this? Some P&S cameras allow you to shoot video and also
take high-resolution photos while you are still recording the video. There
is a slight 1/2 second pause in the video when doing so; but if done at the
right time that pause can be removed and the video is, for all intents and
purposes, perfectly seamless. Or in your final editing you can emulate the
playback method that the camera uses for video+still-frame playback. A 1/2
second cut to the still-frame with a shutter-release sound to accentuate
that important moment. I've seen a few PBS nature documentaries using this
technique lately. Though I admit, it can be annoying if done to the
extreme. Which is often the case in the PBS documentaries that use it.

8. How old are you now and how many years have you tried to use cameras?

46 years old, so 36 years at it, though I only really got back into it
heavily about 5 years ago.

Enjoy your hobby, but don't post things considering that someone's going to
find any value in them. At least not by anyone with experience and talent.
And for ****'s sake, you are next to the last person who should ever be
handing out macrophotography advice to others. Advice from you would be
just above the advice coming from mmyvusenet or that equally delusional
snapshooting Vance cretin.